VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Raleh

Do you intend on picking soon?
i was wondering that since he's been around for over an hour

probably weighing his options, doing extra research, etcetera

(suggestion: while waiting we all can use some extra research time! find another gem to add to one's list for later rounds)

pappyline, their time window ends in just over an hour from now... you can go ahead and pick at that time

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
Springfield selects D Pekka Rautakallio. Sorry about the confusion Pappy, I guess I never signed out at work!

Last edited:

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
Springfield selects D Pekka Rautikallio. Sorry about the confusion Pappy, I guess I never signed out at work!
No Problem.

BTW. If I don't pick within an hour, The next guy can go ahead. In a draft of this type, I am not too worried if I miss out on a player ot two.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Frank Patrick
e001219415-v2.jpg

As a player, Frank was revolutionary,... In the years prior to the Patricks' rise, the position of defense was used strictly to protect a team's own goal. Together, they [Patrick brothers] were the first defensemen to rush with the puck and play an offensive role. The family moved to Nelson, British Columbia, where the brothers continued to win converts to their rushing style.... When Frank was introduced as a Millionaire, he was called the best defenseman in the world.... They spent $350,000 on a 10,000-seat arena in Vancouver, creating what was at the time the largest building in Canada, and another $125,000 on a rink in Victoria that accommodated 4,200.... Patrick scored six goals in one game, establishing a record that has never been surpassed by NHL defenders. Frank was the leader, on the ice and in the boardroom,... Among Patrick's contributions to hockey were the blue line, the penalty shot, the boarding penalty, and the raising of the stick when a goal is scored, which he suggested. He also made a prophesy: "I dream of the day that teams will dress two goaltenders for each game." This became a reality in 1964-65 in the NHL.
http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/LegendsMember.jsp?mem=b195803&page=bio#photo

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
The Omaha Ice Breakers will use their third selection on Pavel Datsyuk.

One Stanley Cup, one all-star game, one Olympic medal.

Nothing short of premature death will keep that total stationary.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
Springfield selects D Pekka Rautakallio. Sorry about the confusion Pappy, I guess I never signed out at work!

dangit nice pick, he was next on my list.

I was wondering when Kjell Samuelsson would get taken again. I think someone took him in the first draft or two (back when there were under 300 total picks too) and he hasn't been taken in any draft since.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
D Pekka Rautakallio
121 points in 235 NHL games (7 pts in 23 NHL playoff games). In NHL all-star game (1982).

...The Flames saw him as the defensive equivalent to Kent Nilsson, a skilled European puck wizard. The defenseman gave every sign of fulfilling that promise. His thirty points and +22 in 1979-80 were respectable in both areas. The hockey tactician had taken his rookie NHL year as a chance to get used to the closer quarters and hard hitting. The results paid off with a second season effort of 56 points and a further 6 in the playoff, as Calgary stopped just short of the Finals.

Rautakallio had his best personal season in North American in 1981-82. His 17 goals and 51 assists left him a dozen points better than his previous best. Pekka was also named as to the All-Star squad, the first Finn to be named to the mid-season classic.
http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayer.jsp?player=14079

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
Van, I must say, you are doing an incredible job keeping this thing going. PMs for every pick, info on ever player...I'm really impressed.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Van, I must say, you are doing an incredible job keeping this thing going. PMs for every pick, info on ever player...I'm really impressed.
actually,... i'm secretly hoping you guys are PMing the next team after you pick, but since i dunno if that's happening i'm doubling up efforts (hopefully it's just doubling up) in the early rounds

everybody PM the next guy!

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
Me Too. I keep thinking that I will do a write up on my selection later but Van beats me to it & does a better job too boot. Loved the Frank Patrick bio.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I keep thinking that I will do a write up on my selection later but Van beats me to it & does a better job too boot. Loved the Frank Patrick bio.
Thanks. My last career was as a journalist. ;) get the info out quick! Now I'm a more lackadaisical teacher of the English language (in South Korea) with plenty of spare time on my hands during the week (it's almost noon Monday here now).

I will be unavailable on many of the weekends but it's the Monsoons here until mid-July so I got rained in the last few days by never ending downpours.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
We've had 27 picks in just over 48 hours,

averaging over a round per day!

I expect the pace to be half that midweek but even if so that's not bad.

Note: Starting round 15 the picks will be doubled up (see first post of this thread for details)

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Could we all cut-and-paste information profiles of our picks onto our roster threads?

It will really help us keep track of who these guys are, as the minor league draft involves many players we're just now starting to get to know.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto

Excellent, I was hoping we'd get him. Liapkin and Rautakallio give us the foundation of probably the best puck-moving defence corps in this draft (the early favourite, at least). And plenty of bruiser stay-at-home types to pair with them still out there.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Pick distribution to date (through pick 27):

defensemen - 12
centers - 6
left wingers - 5
right wingers - 2
goaltenders - 1
coach - 1

NHL careers: 18