Atd#7 Minor League Draft

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Unusual, but I decided to take a coach in the firest round,
Anyang Halla is proud to select
ANATOLI TARASOV

You stole my idea, I had planned on taking him with one of my first two picks. Being the best coach available, it was probably worth it.

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
You stole my idea, I had planned on taking him with one of my first two picks. Being the best coach available, it was probably worth it.

I really think so too. The best coach available. And if he wouldn´t be heads and tails above every other coach still available I wouldn´t have taken a coach with my firest pick. I was actually surpirsed that noone toook him in the main draft. I only went with Chernyshev because he was more likeable but he was not the motivational coach Tarasov was.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Pit Lepine.
pitlepine1_em80.jpg
Lepine played in the National Hockey League from 1925 to 1939, spending his entire career with the Montreal Canadiens, winning two Stanley Cups, in 1930 and 1931. Lepine, a center, played over 500 games with Montreal and was an excellent goal scorer who could also check and battle for the puck in the corners.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_Lepine

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Lepine is a great choice. Top-10 scorer twice and an excellent defensive player/shadow. He was unfortunate to be stuck behind Morenz on the Habs when top players would sometimes play 2/3rds of the game.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
The Bulldogs are proud to select D Wilfred "Bucko" McDonald.

McDonald was the #1 defenseman on a cup winning Leafs team, and the #2 guy on two cup winning Red Wings teams. Regarded as one of the toughest players of his day, he was a supreme shot blocker and body checker and an excellent defensive defenseman. He was selected as a post-season All-Star once. He was also the man responsible for turning Bobby Orr into a defenseman.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
200px-Penticton_Vees.JPG

The Penticon Vees are pleased to select D Rod Seiling with their first pick. Seiling, a sublime defensive player and a veteran of the 1972 Summit Series, provides the Vees with smart positional play, a good breakout pass, and over 1,000 games of NHL experience. We're confident that Seiling will be able to handle significant icetime, penalty-killing duties, and can shut down opponents' top lines.

"As a Rangers defenceman, Seiling was known as a stay-at-home blueliner who made few mistakes. After being claimed by the St. Louis Blues in the Expansion Draft of 1967, the Rangers were quick to trade for him the same day to keep him in New York. He enjoyed a great 1971-72 season collecting 41 points in 78 games and was named to the NHL All-Star Game for that season. The Rangers went to the Stanley Cup finals only to fall to Bobby Orr's Boston Bruins. Seiling was asked to represent his country once again for the '72 Summit Series and played in three games. His next season with the Broadway Blueshirts saw him collect career highs in goals and points." -- Legends of Hockey

"Rod Seiling was a wonderful defenseman who never got the recognition he deserved because of his classic stay at home style of hockey. Yet he was recognized in 1972 when he was included on Team Canada." -- Summit Series

"By the time the Summit Series began, Rod Seiling earned a reputation of a solid veteran defenseman with years of experience of playing with the pre-expansion NHL teams. His reliable steady performance in defense was a key factor for his invitation to play against the Soviet team in 1972. In fact, the defense pair of Seiling and Awrey was considered the strongest in the team Canada’s training camp prior to the series." -- Chidlovski

shawnmullin

Jul 20, 2005
Swift Current
Sorry about that lateness guys. Busy weekend.

The Nelson Leafs are proud to add a legendary brother who knows how to make things happen offensively.

Anton Stastny.

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
With their first selection in this year Minor League Draft, the Bulldogs are very pleased to select Hall of Famer Clint Smith

clintsmith1.jpg

AWARDS:

Stanley Cup (1940)
5 Lady Bing Nomination (1939, 1944)
Hockey Hall of Fame (1991)

Hockey Hall of Fame said:
He was a mainstay with the Rangers the following year and became a key member of their 1940 Stanley Cup team. Smith won the Lady Byng Trophy for gentlemanly play in 1938-39 as a Ranger and again in 1943-44 as a member of the Chicago Black Hawks, and totaled a mere 24 penalty minutes in 483 regular season games. He played in the NHL for eleven years and was not signaled off for a penalty in four of those seasons. In 1943-44, Smith set an NHL record by recording 49 assists in a season while playing on a line with future Hall of Famers Bill Mosienko and Doug Bentley. The line set an NHL scoring record that season with 219 total points.

Moreover, with their second selection, the first pick in the second round, the Bulldogs are as eager to select the only Art Ross winner left on board, Left Winger Herb Cain

herbcain1_v.jpg

AWARDS:

Stanley Cup (1935)
Art Ross (1944)
Second Team All-Star (1944)

Hockey Hall of Fame said:
Born a year later than the records usually show, Cain was a tremendous player during his lengthy and successful career.[...]In 1939, Cain was sent to Boston for Charlie Sands, and he became one of the most popular players in town. At the time, he became the 13th player to score 200 career goals and won the scoring championship with a then-record 82 points. In 1946, he began a career in the AHL, playing for Hershey and winning the Calder Cup.[...]His hometown even named a street after him!

Coach:
Clint Smith – XXX – XXX
Herb Cain – XXX – XXX
XXX – XXX – XXX
XXX – XXX – XXX

XXX – XXX
XXX – XXX
XXX – XXX

XXX
XXX
XXX

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The Penticton Vees are pleased to select their second two-way blueline talent, another 1000-game NHL defenseman in 6'2 Doug Bodger. He scored 106 goals, 528 points in 1071 NHL games with 1007 PIM and a decent-for-a-defenseman 24 points in 47 NHL playoff games.

timeline-bodger.gif

• He played 16 consecutive NHL seasons and never spent a day in the Minor leagues.
• Bodger played 1071 games to indicate his durability. He had excellent offensive skills, scoring over 100 goals and 528 points. He anchored the power play and scored 61 power play goals. Bodger could kill penalties with the best of the best.
• Bodger had 42 multi point games.
• Scotty Bowman, the games greatest coach, lauded Bodgers' on ice vision.
• Bodger played for John Muckler for four seasons in Buffalo. Muckler considered Bodger the team leader and best all around rearguard.
• 1986-1987 and in 1996 Bodger played for Canada at World Hockey Championships. In 1996 he was named Canada's best all around defenseman, set up three important goals and won a silver medal.
• His best offensive season was 1992-1993 in Buffalo when he scored 9 goals and 45 assists.
• Bodger and the Sabres made the playoffs six consecutive years.
http://www.oldtimershockey.com/players/bodger.html

A solid defenseman with speed and a booming shot from the point... Bodger became a leader on the Sabres powerplay... won the Tim Horton Memorial Trophy that year, given to the player whose performance is voted to be most superior to the public recognition he receives (unsung hero).
http://www.sabreslegends.com/bodger_d_bio.html

After being twice a WHL all-star defenseman, Bodger was drafted into the NHL 9th overall with the Penguins second early first rounder the year they got Mario....

Like all good players he was always in the right place at the right time. A great example was the Western Junior final in 1983-84. It was the seventh game in Kamloops against Regina—with four seconds left Bodger intercepted a pass out at the Regina blue line, found an uncovered winger at the side of the Pat net and the game was tied and the Blazers won in overtime, and were in their first Memorial Cup final and Bodger was named the game's first star.
http://www.oldtimershockey.com/players/bodger.html

200px-Penticton_Vees.JPG

Rod Seiling - Doug Bodger

Bodger complements Seiling's style for an elite top pairing. Together a Seiling-Bodger will have had:

2174 NHL games of experience.
895 NHL points.

Both two-way skilled, one more of a first-pass type of strong defensive-minded rearguard (Seiling) and the other a taller (6'2) speedier puck carrier with a booming shot.
A top pairing to play in any situation and take on opponents' top line regardless how big or fast or strong they are.

A competitive advantage.​

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
I actually met Doug Bodger before. He's from the Island, and back when I used to work in the mall at Nanaimo, I recognized his name on his credit card. He was surprised I knew who he was.

I'll take F Frank Finnigan. A top notch defensive forward, he finished in the top-10 scorers once. He was a fantastic skater and a tough player who could could check with the best of them and was strong as an ox. Dick Irvin was once quoted as saying. "If I had a team of Finny's, I'd never lose!"

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
of the first round players picked...

Stolen from the Vees Long List of potential draftees: Pederson, McNeil, Smith :pout:

Who should have been on the Vees Long List but weren't: Tarasov, Stastny :amazed:

shawnmullin

Jul 20, 2005
Swift Current
Some great finds so far. Smith and Bodger especially.

Since the cat is out of the bag on Stastny....

Might be a bit early, but frankly I'm doing this one for chemistry and to make sure I get him.

Scored 294 points in 322 games despite being older by the time he did make the NHL. Had 17 points in 16 games during Quebec's long playoff run in his rookie NHL season. Played in the 1983 NHL All-Star game. Scored 236 goals in 369 games in the Czech Elite League. Was on the Czech Elite League All-Star team in 1978 and 1979.

Played in many World Championships, the 1981 Canada Cup and the 1980 Olympics.

RW Marian Stastny

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Yevgeny Paladiev.
25 goals in 225 Soviet league games.

One of the strongest young Soviet blueliners of the late 1960's - early 1970's, Yevgeny Poladiev represented Spartak Moscow in Team USSR (at the Summit Series '72). He was an extremely reliable and fearless defense player with a powerful long distance slapshot and effective body-checking and shot-blocking skills. Poladiev was one of the Spartak fans favorites during his relatively short career (25 goals in 225 Soviet league games)
http://www.chidlovski.com/personal/1972/yroster/ru26.htm

"Some of our players looked out of place with the Canadian professionals (in the Summit Series '72). Poladiev was one of them and that is why he didn't see much action in the series."
http://www.chidlovski.com/personal/1972/yroster/ru26.htm

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Anyang Halla selects (via shortlist) one of the top scorers of the Summit Series in 1972 and the Soviets' best defensive forward, centre Vladimir Shadrin.

213 goals in 445 Soviet league games. 71 goals in 168 international games.

Vladimir Shadrin established himself as a premiere top ranked Soviet center in the 1970's. He was a slick passer with a powerful and accurate shot on goal. Shadrin was a driving force behind the success of the famous Spartak's line in Team USSR. Most of his goals and assists came as a result of his team work with Alexander Yakushev. Shadrin showed a top level performance at both ends of the ice. He was a distinguished master of penalty killing. His remarkable mastery became a subject of hockey books when Shadrin, Lyapkin and Tsygankov managed to overcome a 2-men advantage of Chechoslovakia in a key game at the Olympics in 1976.
http://www.chidlovski.com/personal/1972/yroster/ru19.htm

"The excellent performance of Alexander Yakushev can in part be attributed to Vladimir Shadrin. Aside from averaging one point a game, Shadrin was the best Soviet defensive forward in the series."(Summit Series '72)
http://www.chidlovski.com/personal/1972/yroster/ru19.htm

Shadrin had points in 6 of the 8 games in the 1972 Summit Series, 8 points in all, only one point behind his linemate, Soviet-leading Yakushev.

Last edited:

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
I'm out for the night and I'm not going to make a pick now. Y'all are taking too many Russians I've never heard of, so I'm re-evaluating my strategy ... I'll pass the baton to the Dunlops for now and spend tomorrow thinking about this while I'm supposed to be working.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad