ATD#7 1st rd. RESULTS in the Bob Cole: #3 Barrie Flyers vs. #6 Aurora Tigers

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
Pappy, I thought Lindros stepped up in the playoffs from '95-'97. However, I gues I'm going to get burned for saying who I voted for and why I voted haha.

This is one of those cases where there likely IS a bias. I was 10 years old when Lindros was the best player in the world, so I remember him as a kind of superman. To me it seems as though when he was on his game he was almost impossible to stop unless you knocked him out. I don't think you had many guys who could contain him physically. Now if Aurora had been playing the Oilers in the first round...

Tretiak is the kind of guy that'll either kill you or really help you in something like this. There are tons of guys, myself included, who really think he deserves mention as one of the greats. Then there are others, I believe GBC is one of these, who would never pick him no matter what part of the draft we were in. I don't think he made the difference in the end, but to me he did.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
Pappy, I thought Lindros stepped up in the playoffs from '95-'97. However, I gues I'm going to get burned for saying who I voted for and why I voted haha.

This is one of those cases where there likely IS a bias. I was 10 years old when Lindros was the best player in the world, so I remember him as a kind of superman. To me it seems as though when he was on his game he was almost impossible to stop unless you knocked him out. I don't think you had many guys who could contain him physically. Now if Aurora had been playing the Oilers in the first round...

Tretiak is the kind of guy that'll either kill you or really help you in something like this. There are tons of guys, myself included, who really think he deserves mention as one of the greats. Then there are others, I believe GBC is one of these, who would never pick him no matter what part of the draft we were in. I don't think he made the difference in the end, but to me he did.
Raleh, You are probably the reason I lost. I only needed one vote switched to win. Earlier you said I had the better team but you voted Aurora because of 2 players-Tretiak & Lindros. Sounds contradictory & illogical to me.

BTW, I wouldn't have picked tretiak & Lindros in the rounds they were selected. I just don't think that highly of them.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
I really liked Aurora's defence top to bottom. And, I picked them to be 2nd in the division in the regular season. I took Tretiak as a large edge over Worsley. I feel that Aurora is a great team with a fatal flaw. Fragile scoring leaders. When healthy, Lafontaine and Lindros are dominant. Unfortunatly, I didn't feel Flaman and Vasko were the men to take them out. Plus, I feel that Bobrov and Balderis are offensive leaders.

Breakdown like this:
1st line: Barrie
2nd line: Aurora
3rd line: Even
4th line: Aurora

1st pairing: Barrie
2nd pairing: Aurora
3rd pairing: Aurora

Goal: Aurora

Coach: Aurora

Intangibles: Barrie

Special teams: Aurora

shawnmullin

Jul 20, 2005
Swift Current
Well I think it's fair to say Raleh felt Lindros and Tretiak were big enough factors to overcome the original disadvantages. You can disagree, but he's one opinion out of 19.

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
I do think you had the better team. As in you could go the distance against any team in the draft. Aurora can't say that, there are some teams (Trail, Edmonton, Detroit) that would beat them pretty soundly. However, I liked their chances matched up against your team because of the physical aspect of the second line, mostly Lindros, and Tretiak who I personally think is a far superior goalie to Gumper.

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
I really liked Aurora's defence top to bottom. And, I picked them to be 2nd in the division in the regular season. I took Tretiak as a large edge over Worsley. I feel that Aurora is a great team with a fatal flaw. Fragile scoring leaders. When healthy, Lafontaine and Lindros are dominant. Unfortunatly, I didn't feel Flaman and Vasko were the men to take them out. Plus, I feel that Bobrov and Balderis are offensive leaders.

Breakdown like this:
1st line: Barrie
2nd line: Aurora
3rd line: Even
4th line: Aurora

1st pairing: Barrie
2nd pairing: Aurora
3rd pairing: Aurora

Goal: Aurora

Coach: Aurora

Intangibles: Barrie

Special teams: Aurora

Took the words right out of my mouth. Aurora could surprise IMO.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
BTW, I wouldn't have picked tretiak & Lindros in the rounds they were selected. I just don't think that highly of them.

Lindros and Tretiak are risky picks because of how varied the oppinions of them can be, but I personally feel that both were absoutely dominant.

For a good 6-7 years, I believe Lindros was better than a good portion of the players currently in the HHOF. I know some people feel Lindros went too early, but I wanted to make sure I got him. Power-forwards are not rare (there's plenty of big, nasty, goal-scoring wingers in the draft), but power-forward centres with playmaking ability are about as rare as they come. I just feel he's a perfect 2nd line centre, as he creates matchup problems galore, and he's an easy guy to build a line around.

I've already written a lot about Tretiak in the other thread. I know some don't, but I feel he's one of the best ever, and I believe there's plenty of evidence to support it. I could have gone with Billy Smith, but I felt I needed a guy who could be a regular season stud as well. I guess I'm not as sold on Parent as some are. I'm not taking away from how extraordinarily good he was at his peak, but he really only had a few dominant years (and a few poor playoffs as well). After Dryden and Brodeur went, I felt Tretiak was the last guy left who could be argued as one of the very elite of all time.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Yup, there's Beliveau, Schmidt, Lindros... and... uhm... Clarke almost fits but is undersized...

None of those players brings the physical presence that Lindros brought. Lindros was th eonly on ethat combined top 5 skill along with being the iggest and strongest player in the game, that also had a mean streak, an was just a physical nasty presence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->