ATD 2021 Lineup Advice Thread

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Since I got Lynn Patrick, do folks think he's better than Artemi Panarin to play on my 3rd line? If he did that, he'd hop on the second PP unit, and give up a little ES ice time to Brad Marchand.

That would leave Panarin to bring some offense to the 4th line, and Brian Sutter would come into the line-up when some bite is needed.

Lynn Patrick has a vsX score of 79.4 and an ESvsX of 76.4.
With a modest accounting of Panarin's Soviet seasons, I've got him with an ESvsX of 75.7. He's better defensively, though.

Like the idea of taking Marchand off the PP and giving him a bit more ES time.

Lynn Patrick is one of the softest players anyone drafted. I don't think I would use him on a line at ES without a bodyguard.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Lynn Patrick is one of the softest players anyone drafted. I don't think I would use him on a line at ES without a bodyguard.

I think you’re really overflowing both how soft he was and how impactful that would be.

Sure, he was soft, but a lot of the criticism he got from fans was magnified by the two factors - he was the coach’s son and his brother was a maniac.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Looking at my roster, is this the right configuration for it?

Cleveland Spiders

coach; Joel Quenneville

Captain: Bobby Clarke
Alternates: Larry Robinson, Carl Brewer

Bill Barber-Bobby Clarke-Teemu Selanne
Syd Howe-Mike Modano-Gordie Drillon
Mats Naslund-Joe Primeau-Jimmy Ward
Dave Balon-Fleming Mackell-Owen Nolan

Extra: Charlie Simmer, Brad Richards

Ivan Johnson- Larry Robinson
Carl Brewer-Babe Pratt
Art Duncan-Lloyd Cook

Extra: Lars Erik Sjoberg

Martin Brodeur
Gerry Cheevers

Special Teams:

PP 1: Syd Howe, Mike Modano,Teemu Selanne, Babe Pratt, Bill Barber
PP 2: Mats Naslund, Bobby Clarke, Gordie Drillon, Larry Robinson, Carl Brewer

PK 1: Bobby Clarke, Jimmy Ward, Larry Robinson, Ivan Johnson
PK 2: Dave Balon, Fleming Mackell, Carl Brewer, Art Duncan

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I think you’re really overflowing both how soft he was and how impactful that would be.

Sure, he was soft, but a lot of the criticism he got from fans was magnified by the two factors - he was the coach’s son and his brother was a maniac.

His nickname was Twinkletoes.

I really think there are certain players in the ATD who are just best served by having bodyguards to avoid that particular criticism. Maltsev is another one of them.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
His nickname was Twinkletoes.

Who gave him that nickname? The fans.

Why? They thought he was soft, yes. The fact that he was actually quite big and strong didn't help. That's also impacted by a comparison to his brother, who was a complete thug. They also thought he was only on the team because his father was the coach, so he had an extra large target on his back.

I really think there are certain players in the ATD who are just best served by having bodyguards to avoid that particular criticism. Maltsev is another one of them.

What is the impact of him being unprotected? If he's easily intimidated, that would have happened during his career. If he played scared during his career, he still managed to put up points. Why would that change in these circumstances?

He's soft. He's likely less than average defensively. He's going to score though, and that's his only job.

He's also not in a position to have to be particularly worried about being intimidated. How many teams are going to look at my roster and pick out Lynn Patrick as the guy they have to target?

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
I'm thinking about how I want to handle my goaltending situation. It feels pretty obvious that it would be a good idea to platoon Esposito and Thompson through the regular season so that they're both nice and fresh for the playoffs, and I'm confident enough in both to make it a pretty even split. What I'm debating in my mind is whether I should consider platooning them in the playoffs. Obviously, if one of them got hot, I'd ride him during the hot streak, but at the very least, I think I like the idea of making it known that if one of them plays a long overtime game, the other guy would play the next game to make sure fatigue was avoided. I know it's not the most common setup in real life, but with two quality goalies in a setup like this, does it seem like a reasonable idea?

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Who gave him that nickname? The fans.

Why? They thought he was soft, yes. The fact that he was actually quite big and strong didn't help. That's also impacted by a comparison to his brother, who was a complete thug. They also thought he was only on the team because his father was the coach, so he had an extra large target on his back.

What is the impact of him being unprotected? If he's easily intimidated, that would have happened during his career. If he played scared during his career, he still managed to put up points. Why would that change in these circumstances?

Wasn't Lynn Patrick's rep as a guy who underperformed in the playoffs because he was soft? Vecen's old Lynn Patrick bio had something about it.

I'm not against the player obviously; I had him last year, I just think his usefulness is more situational; if you had a tough guy on the line, I wouldn't mind him.

He's soft. He's likely less than average defensively. He's going to score though, and that's his only job.

He's also not in a position to have to be particularly worried about being intimidated. How many teams are going to look at my roster and pick out Lynn Patrick as the guy they have to target?

I think he could get beat up by a team that has a physical bottom pairing.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Wasn't Lynn Patrick's rep as a guy who underperformed in the playoffs because he was soft? Vecen's old Lynn Patrick bio had something about it.

He certainly wasn't great in the play-offs, but I'm not sure it was because he was soft.

I'm not against the player obviously; I had him last year, I just think his usefulness is more situational; if you had a tough guy on the line, I wouldn't mind him.

Yeah, in a perfect world. He's a guy who scored despite being soft.... so he should still do that, right?

I think he could get beat up by a team that has a physical bottom pairing.

I don't see a bottom pair that can both keep up to him and also beat him up. Yeah, they could try to intimidate him in tight quarters, but he'd eat them up in open ice.

I'm still not sure he was actually intimidated easily. He didn't hit and he didn't fight, that's fore sure. Did he actually get intimidated? I don't know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad