ATD 2021 Lineup Advice Thread

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
"C" Letter wearers on my squad include: Crosby, Mikhailov, Stewart, Sakic, Lewis, Broadbent, Colville, Gare, Muller, Blake, Schoenfeld, and Heller.

I've got Crosby as captain and Sakic and Blake as alternates. Anyone have a better combo to suggest?

I would get either Mikhailov or Broadbent as an A

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
Nels Stewart - Sidney Crosby - Boris Mikhailov
Herbie Lewis - Joe Sakic - Punch Broadbent
Don Marcotte - Neil Colville - Danny Gare
Kirk Muller - Butch Goring - Tim Kerr*

*Broadbent/Gare/Marcotte will take shifts in defensive zone faceoffs and for specific match-ups

Börje Salming - Guy Lapointe
Herb Gardiner - Rob Blake
Jim Schoenfeld - Ott Heller

Roy Worters
Tim Thomas

Extra Skaters:

PP1: Blake - Lapointe
Kerr - Crosby - Sakic

PP2: Heller - Salming
Gare - Stewart - Mikhailov

PK1: Gardiner - Schoenfeld
Colville - Marcotte

PK2: Salming - Lapointe
Goring - Broadbent

Impressions of my 19 who will dress on the regular?

I think Kerr should be a spare as you already have Nels Stewart for 1st unit in front of the net PP duty. I'd draft a 2 way RW for the 4th line as Kerr can't skate.

Reactions: Dirt 101

Claude The Fraud

Apr 2, 2008
Rimouski
Littles questions about my lines...

Should switch Bure and Neely? If so, would Litzenberger withYakushev and Petrov work better than Neely?

I have Yzerman as my captain, Fetisov and Langway as my alternates. Any tought on it?

Bert Olmstead - Steve Yzerman - Cam Neely
Alexander Yakushev - Vladimir Petrov - Pavel Bure
Vincent Damphousse - Mike Peca - Ed Litzenberger
John Tonelli - Brent Sutter - Bob Bourne

Viacheslav Fetisov - Émile 'Butch' Bouchard
Rod Langway - Dan Boyle
Phil Housley - Zinetula Bilyaletdinov

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I don't like the idea of a 4th liner having a letter. Gretzky and Niedermayer are obvious C and A. After that, I don't know. Your 3rd letter is going to be weak no matter what. McDonaugh has some credit, but bottom pairing letter isn't ideal. Weiland was captain for a year. Tommy Phillips was captain of Kenora? I'd lean towards Phillips as the 2nd A I guess.

I'm actually thinking Conacher might be a better option than Phillips. He captained the Marlies before being called up to the Leafs. He captained the Leafs in his last season there, and then also captained the Americans for both seasons there.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I think Kerr should be a spare as you already have Nels Stewart for 1st unit in front of the net PP duty. I'd draft a 2 way RW for the 4th line as Kerr can't skate.

Yeah, Stewart is probably the second best net presence behind Esposito. He has to be on your top PP.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Littles questions about my lines...

Should switch Bure and Neely? If so, would Litzenberger withYakushev and Petrov work better than Neely?

I have Yzerman as my captain, Fetisov and Langway as my alternates. Any tought on it?

Bert Olmstead - Steve Yzerman - Cam Neely
Alexander Yakushev - Vladimir Petrov - Pavel Bure
Vincent Damphousse - Mike Peca - Ed Litzenberger
John Tonelli - Brent Sutter - Bob Bourne

Viacheslav Fetisov - Émile 'Butch' Bouchard
Rod Langway - Dan Boyle
Phil Housley - Zinetula Bilyaletdinov

Give a letter to Bouchard.

RustyRazor

né Selfish Man
Mar 9, 2004
PNW

Does anyone else second this notion? I wanted to strengthen both PPs by adding Kerr to the first unit and allowing Stewart to play the second. Is Kerr that big a liability at even strength?

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Does anyone else second this notion? I wanted to strengthen both PPs by adding Kerr to the first unit and allowing Stewart to play the second. Is Kerr that big a liability at even strength?

I just think Stewart is so good on the PP, he really should be on the first unit. Arguably the THIRD best all-time net presence behind Esposito and Beliveau :D

Kerr is kind of a liability at even strength, though he's ok in limited 4th line minutes (I used him that way on my winning team last year, though that was a 40 team draft).

Reactions: Selfish Man

RustyRazor

né Selfish Man
Mar 9, 2004
PNW
I just think Stewart is so good on the PP, he really should be on the first unit. Arguably the THIRD best all-time net presence behind Esposito and Beliveau :D

Kerr is kind of a liability at even strength, though he's ok in limited 4th line minutes (I used him that way on my winning team last year, though that was a 40 team draft).

So...

Unit 1: Blake - Lapointe
Stewart - Crosby - Sakic

Unit 2: Salming - Heller
Gare - Kerr - Mikhailov

???

Or put Goring on the 2nd unit and bump Gare?

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
So...

Unit 1: Blake - Lapointe
Stewart - Crosby - Sakic

Unit 2: Salming - Heller
Gare - Kerr - Mikhailov

???

Or put Goring on the 2nd unit and bump Gare?

Sakic played the point off and on somewhat regularly. I would consider a first unit of:

Sakic-Lapointe
Stewart-Crosby-Mikhailov

Gives you a LH and RH shot on opposite points:

With Salming-Blake the points on the 2nd

RustyRazor

né Selfish Man
Mar 9, 2004
PNW
Sakic played the point off and on somewhat regularly. I would consider a first unit of:

Sakic-Lapointe
Stewart-Crosby-Mikhailov

Gives you a LH and RH shot on opposite points:

With Salming-Blake the points on the 2nd

I thought Lapointe was a LHS?

RustyRazor

né Selfish Man
Mar 9, 2004
PNW
ER duh, you're right.

Yeah, I think my point players are pretty much set. Unless someone can make a good case for either Lapointe or Sakic playing on their offhand side or if Danny Gare ever played the point. I just don't have that many RHS players. I kept missing the dudes I wanted and probably don't know enough yet about other guys that I overlooked.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Since I got Lynn Patrick, do folks think he's better than Artemi Panarin to play on my 3rd line? If he did that, he'd hop on the second PP unit, and give up a little ES ice time to Brad Marchand.

That would leave Panarin to bring some offense to the 4th line, and Brian Sutter would come into the line-up when some bite is needed.

Lynn Patrick has a vsX score of 79.4 and an ESvsX of 76.4.
With a modest accounting of Panarin's Soviet seasons, I've got him with an ESvsX of 75.7. He's better defensively, though.

Like the idea of taking Marchand off the PP and giving him a bit more ES time.

RustyRazor

né Selfish Man
Mar 9, 2004
PNW
Okay, in attempting to solve the puzzle of my power play units, I picked up Rene Robert to play the point on one of the two units to possibly replace Ott Heller. So now I need to figure out the best combination -- do I insert Robert into my starting line-up and scratch either Kerr or Gare?

My current PPs look like this:

PP1: Rob Blake - Guy Lapointe
Nels Stewart - Sidney Crosby - Joe Sakic

PP2: Ott Heller - Börje Salming
Danny Gare - Tim Kerr - Boris Mikhailov

And here are my bottom two lines:

Don Marcotte - Neil Colville - Danny Gare (René Robert?)
Kirk Muller - Butch Goring - Tim Kerr (René Robert?)

I think the strongest PP combo would be to scratch Gare and use Robert on my third line, but I am wondering if Robert was a strong enough defensive player for him to adequately substitute for Gare on a checking line? The new PP2 would be:

PP2: René Robert - Börje Salming
Tim Kerr - Butch Goring - Boris Mikhailov

Just looking for some opinions.

Last edited:

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Okay, in attempting to solve the puzzle of my power play units, I picked up Rene Robert to play the point on one of the two units to possibly replace Ott Heller. So now I need to figure out the best combination -- do I insert Robert into my starting line-up and scratch either Kerr or Gare?

My current PPs look like this:

PP1: Rob Blake - Guy Lapointe
Nels Stewart - Sidney Crosby - Joe Sakic

PP2: Ott Heller - Börje Salming
Danny Gare - Tim Kerr - Boris Mikhailov

And here are my bottom two lines:

Don Marcotte - Neil Colville - Danny Gare (René Robert?)
Kirk Muller - Butch Goring - Tim Kerr (René Robert?)

I think the strongest PP combo would be to scratch Gare and use Robert on my third line, but I am wondering if Robert was a strong enough defensive player for him to adequately substitute for Gare on a checking line? The new PP2 would be:

PP2: René Robert - Börje Salming
Tim Kerr - Butch Goring - Boris Mikhailov

Just looking for some opinions.

Neil Colville played defense for a few seasons, so obviously he could play the point on the PP if needed.

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
Didn't Sakic use to play point in Colorado? I do vaguely remember it. If yes, I'd move him to point and move Kerr to PP1, dropping Lapointe to PP2, Heller off it and put Goring there as C.

RustyRazor

né Selfish Man
Mar 9, 2004
PNW
Didn't Sakic use to play point in Colorado? I do vaguely remember it. If yes, I'd move him to point and move Kerr to PP1, dropping Lapointe to PP2, Heller off it and put Goring there as C.

Salming and Lapointe are both LHS. I'm very heavy LHS vs RHS, the only reason Heller is on the PP at all is because I didn't want someone playing his off-hand. I've thought about doing that with Sakic, but it doesn't solve the off-hand problem.

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
Salming and Lapointe are both LHS. I'm very heavy LHS vs RHS, the only reason Heller is on the PP at all is because I didn't want someone playing his off-hand. I've thought about doing that with Sakic, but it doesn't solve the off-hand problem.
Depending on your PP scheme I wouldn't even consider that to be a problem at all, but that might just be me. I mean:
Lapointe​
Gare Mikhailov Salming
Goring​

looks OK to me.

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj

Put Kerr in front of the net and use a rotating diamond. I would bench Gare and have Kerr for his PP since you picked up Robert.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad