ATD 2021 Draft Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Pittsburgh will complete it's 3rd line with a player who should really allow the line to function at maximum capacity. Yet again, another player who was an elite skater joins the AC. He was a big player for his era, very physical, going overboard a few times, strong defensively and good enough offensively to not get left behind by Hawerchuk and Anderson. Inducted to the HOF in 1963.

He and Glenn Anderson in particular, are both elite skaters, and strong physical presences. Both will bring the rain on the fore check and both, especially this player can be counted on to back check at a plus rate. Having those 2 wingers presents challenges for the opposition whether defending breakouts or getting out of their own end. Like the past few picks by Pitt, he is also very versatile, able to shift to the opposite wing or defense in a pinch and not be completely inept. Also find his longevity pretty damn good given the era and brutality.

Pittsburgh is proud to select yet another native of the great Provence, Saskatchewan!

Rusty Crawford, LW/D

5420178363_9de4e20d1a.jpg

Ripped this from @overpass bio

From Bob Duff's The First Season: 1917-18 and the Birth of the NHL

Rusty Crawford: Defence/Left Wing

A rancher in Prince Albert, Saskatchewan, Crawford was well-travelled on and off the ice. "He can play just as good a game on defence as up on the line, and vice versa," the Ottawa Journal reported. "He is a speed artist from the word go, and it is doubtful if there is a faster skater in the league."

That speed came in handy. Because Rusty was a man on the move. Crawford played pro hockey from 1912-1930, skating in six leagues and suiting up for eight teams. He was 45 when he hung up his blades.

Crawford played for five different teams in the Stanley Cup final, winning with the Quebec Bulldogs in 1912-13 and again with Toronto in 1917-18. He was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1962.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Joe Pelletier:
Rusty was known for his fast skating and his left handed shot. He was a very versatile as a forward giving a strong performance as either right or left wing or center. The early bible of hockey "Trail of the Stanley Cup" described him as "a tireless backchecker," something not always practiced by forwards of his day. He also played with a physical edge and more than once found himself losing his temper and getting into trouble.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Daily Telegraph, Jan 16, 1913
Russell Crawford, Quebec’s new all-around player, is making a hit with the fans…and before coming to Quebec was one of the fastest men in the Western league.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Montreal Gazette, Jan 30, 1913
Crawford…showed a world of speed. In fact, he was the fastest man on the ice.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

January 22, 1918 Toronto Star
The work of “Rusty” Crawford last night was positively sensational. He showed us as much “pep” as a “hop” horse going to the post. The way he dodged and checked and hurdled had the crowd on its feet cheering him wildly. He would grab the puck on his own defense, dodge the Canadiens first line, tear into the defence, hurdle between Hall and Corbeau, slam one at Vezina, come back and take the puck from the relieving Canadien player, and come back for another chance. He leaped and curvetted like a two-year-old. Once Joe Hall gave him a flying tackle and, rolling him over, examined him curiously.

“What’s the idea?” squeaked “Rusty” from beneath the heap.

“Just looking for yer wings,” grunted the ex-Bad Man.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

February 25, 1918 Toronto Star
The first man that touched the puck after the faceoff was crashed into the fence with a healthy body check by Rusty Crawford, and the next place the brunette with the blonde nickname found himself was in the “clink” with a “major” opposite his name on Dick Kearns’ penalty sheet. And by the same token this same boy Crawford seemed to be the man Coach Carroll had selected to be “Bad Man” for the night. He wound up with five penalties—the last one sent him to the barn—but though he checked hard and sometimes not at all according to Hoyle, he did no damage to his opponents.

Crawford drew his penalties for chopping and slashing. He hadn’t been on the ice for five playing moments before he had the Ottawa forwards watching him instead of the puck. Once Crawford collected their “nannies” it was all off. The rest of the Toronto bunch settled away, and after handing out some pile-driving body checks on their own account, played hockey. Goals came easily.

A Toronto crowd never saw Crawford play such strenuous hockey in all the years he has played here. Usually the old boy rolls along chasing that old puck netwars with an earnestness that is commendable. But Saturday night—oh! my! It was a different story. All he wanted was for some Ottawa man to just dare to try and carry the puck. He just sailed into every man who held the puck with a body slam that shook ‘em from cellar to garret…

Crawford didn’t have it all to himself by any means. He met Shore and Merrill a couple of times and they put him shoulder high, and so did Cy Denneny, but Crawford only chewed another wrinkle out of his Spearmint and came right back for more.

Mr. Crawford is a very useful man to have around—as a “goal-getter” he has the late “Jawn L” backed into the Sunday school superintendents’ class. The fans say so. That’s a whole lot about “Rusty”—let’s get back to the game.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Ottawa Citizen, January 22, 1946
(Eddie) Shore once said that by using proper conditioning measures a star player should linger until he was fifty years of age, but he was destined to discover that only a roustabout like “Rusty” Crawford could perform a stunt like that. Crawford, incidentally, was still playing hockey when he was fifty-four years of age.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Montreal Gazette, Jan 20, 1951
Wonder how many old-timers in Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, and Quebec City remember Rusty Crawford?

(Joe) Malone recalls “Rusty”, now a Western Canada wheat farmer, as one of the fastest and most tireless skaters hockey ever developed. Both Joe and Newsy (Lalonde) pick him with Jack Laviolette for skating honors.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
When researching Joe Malone, I read through game summaries of the 1916-17 Quebec Bulldogs. The Bulldogs had a terrible first half of the season, finishing 2-8, and poor play from their defence was the number one reason. In the second half of the season, captain Rusty Crawford moved back to the left defence position and the left defender took Crawford's spot on the line. Crawford's physical play and hard skating on defence was a key part of the Bulldogs going 8-2 in the second half.

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
Gillies was a 3rd liner.

His "Trio Grande Line" days were in the rearview mirror.

A lot of ridiculousness is spouted these days.

Trots, Potvin, Bossy, Goring, Smith,... other.

Now I dont read alll the posts so ill ask what are you saying about ny 2 players trotteir and smith

I dont read the all the posts becausei I realize some gms will promote one truth and dismiss another truth about their chosen players

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
Having someone pick at 0535 UTC on Saturday morning has gotta pretty much be The Nightmare Clock Scenario for anyone who lives in the Eastern Half of North America. That said, @tony d indicates as having had the clock expire at 1135 UTC (about 45 minutes ago) which would then place @GlitchMarner on-the-clock.

I believe the correct interpretation is this [though please understand that I'm a first-time Main ATD-participant- and I'll happily solicit confirmation (or reproof) form a more experienced hand]:

GlitchMarner is on-the-clock for Selection 408- and the clock for that pick will elapse at 1735 UTC.

If GlitchMarner does not pick at 408, the clock then starts for Glitch's pick 409, at a 1-hour deduction (for missing 408), which will then elapse at 2235 UTC.

Edit- misunderstanding corrected below- hat-tip @Dreakmur

Let's all hope it doesn't come to that(!)

Last edited:

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Having someone pick at 0535 UTC on Saturday morning has gotta pretty much be The Nightmare Clock Scenario for anyone who lives in the Eastern Half of North America. That said, @tony d indicates as having had the clock expire at 1135 UTC (about 45 minutes ago) which would then place @GlitchMarner on-the-clock.

I believe the correct interpretation is this [though please understand that I'm a first-time Main ATD-participant- and I'll happily solicit confirmation (or reproof) form a more experienced hand]:

GlitchMarner is on-the-clock for Selection 408- and the clock for that pick will elapse at 1735 UTC.

If GlitchMarner does not pick at 408, the clock then starts for Glitch's pick 409, at a 1-hour deduction (for missing 408), which will then elapse at 2235 UTC.

Let's all hope it doesn't come to that(!)

If glitch gets skipped on pick 1, all futur picks are auto skipped until he catches up on picks.

Reactions: ChiTownPhilly

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Pittsburgh will complete it's 3rd line with a player who should really allow the line to function at maximum capacity. Yet again, another player who was an elite skater joins the AC. He was a big player for his era, very physical, going overboard a few times, strong defensively and good enough offensively to not get left behind by Hawerchuk and Anderson. Inducted to the HOF in 1963.

He and Glenn Anderson in particular, are both elite skaters, and strong physical presences. Both will bring the rain on the fore check and both, especially this player can be counted on to back check at a plus rate. Having those 2 wingers presents challenges for the opposition whether defending breakouts or getting out of their own end. Like the past few picks by Pitt, he is also very versatile, able to shift to the opposite wing or defense in a pinch and not be completely inept. Also find his longevity pretty damn good given the era and brutality.

Pittsburgh is proud to select yet another native of the great Provence, Saskatchewan!

Rusty Crawford, LW/D

5420178363_9de4e20d1a.jpg

Ripped this from @overpass bio

From Bob Duff's The First Season: 1917-18 and the Birth of the NHL

Rusty Crawford: Defence/Left Wing

A rancher in Prince Albert, Saskatchewan, Crawford was well-travelled on and off the ice. "He can play just as good a game on defence as up on the line, and vice versa," the Ottawa Journal reported. "He is a speed artist from the word go, and it is doubtful if there is a faster skater in the league."

That speed came in handy. Because Rusty was a man on the move. Crawford played pro hockey from 1912-1930, skating in six leagues and suiting up for eight teams. He was 45 when he hung up his blades.

Crawford played for five different teams in the Stanley Cup final, winning with the Quebec Bulldogs in 1912-13 and again with Toronto in 1917-18. He was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1962.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Joe Pelletier:
Rusty was known for his fast skating and his left handed shot. He was a very versatile as a forward giving a strong performance as either right or left wing or center. The early bible of hockey "Trail of the Stanley Cup" described him as "a tireless backchecker," something not always practiced by forwards of his day. He also played with a physical edge and more than once found himself losing his temper and getting into trouble.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Daily Telegraph, Jan 16, 1913
Russell Crawford, Quebec’s new all-around player, is making a hit with the fans…and before coming to Quebec was one of the fastest men in the Western league.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Montreal Gazette, Jan 30, 1913
Crawford…showed a world of speed. In fact, he was the fastest man on the ice.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
January 22, 1918 Toronto Star
The work of “Rusty” Crawford last night was positively sensational. He showed us as much “pep” as a “hop” horse going to the post. The way he dodged and checked and hurdled had the crowd on its feet cheering him wildly. He would grab the puck on his own defense, dodge the Canadiens first line, tear into the defence, hurdle between Hall and Corbeau, slam one at Vezina, come back and take the puck from the relieving Canadien player, and come back for another chance. He leaped and curvetted like a two-year-old. Once Joe Hall gave him a flying tackle and, rolling him over, examined him curiously.

“What’s the idea?” squeaked “Rusty” from beneath the heap.

“Just looking for yer wings,” grunted the ex-Bad Man.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
February 25, 1918 Toronto Star
The first man that touched the puck after the faceoff was crashed into the fence with a healthy body check by Rusty Crawford, and the next place the brunette with the blonde nickname found himself was in the “clink” with a “major” opposite his name on Dick Kearns’ penalty sheet. And by the same token this same boy Crawford seemed to be the man Coach Carroll had selected to be “Bad Man” for the night. He wound up with five penalties—the last one sent him to the barn—but though he checked hard and sometimes not at all according to Hoyle, he did no damage to his opponents.

Crawford drew his penalties for chopping and slashing. He hadn’t been on the ice for five playing moments before he had the Ottawa forwards watching him instead of the puck. Once Crawford collected their “nannies” it was all off. The rest of the Toronto bunch settled away, and after handing out some pile-driving body checks on their own account, played hockey. Goals came easily.

A Toronto crowd never saw Crawford play such strenuous hockey in all the years he has played here. Usually the old boy rolls along chasing that old puck netwars with an earnestness that is commendable. But Saturday night—oh! my! It was a different story. All he wanted was for some Ottawa man to just dare to try and carry the puck. He just sailed into every man who held the puck with a body slam that shook ‘em from cellar to garret…

Crawford didn’t have it all to himself by any means. He met Shore and Merrill a couple of times and they put him shoulder high, and so did Cy Denneny, but Crawford only chewed another wrinkle out of his Spearmint and came right back for more.

Mr. Crawford is a very useful man to have around—as a “goal-getter” he has the late “Jawn L” backed into the Sunday school superintendents’ class. The fans say so. That’s a whole lot about “Rusty”—let’s get back to the game.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Ottawa Citizen, January 22, 1946
(Eddie) Shore once said that by using proper conditioning measures a star player should linger until he was fifty years of age, but he was destined to discover that only a roustabout like “Rusty” Crawford could perform a stunt like that. Crawford, incidentally, was still playing hockey when he was fifty-four years of age.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Montreal Gazette, Jan 20, 1951
Wonder how many old-timers in Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, and Quebec City remember Rusty Crawford?

(Joe) Malone recalls “Rusty”, now a Western Canada wheat farmer, as one of the fastest and most tireless skaters hockey ever developed. Both Joe and Newsy (Lalonde) pick him with Jack Laviolette for skating honors.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
When researching Joe Malone, I read through game summaries of the 1916-17 Quebec Bulldogs. The Bulldogs had a terrible first half of the season, finishing 2-8, and poor play from their defence was the number one reason. In the second half of the season, captain Rusty Crawford moved back to the left defence position and the left defender took Crawford's spot on the line. Crawford's physical play and hard skating on defence was a key part of the Bulldogs going 8-2 in the second half.

Pretty good pick up at this point - he fell absurdly low in ATD2020

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express

Thanks sir. Yeah, looking back a # of drafts, 2020, did seem like an outlier certainly, and another instance of him falling past 400 this year, seemed like solid value.

I find his offense a little tough to gauge right now, but he brings so much else to the table. I was actually looking at Rick Martin there, but Glitch forced me to look back on Crawford as I had mentioned earlier to Johnny he seemed like such an intriguing player (I've never had him before). I think he and Anderson in particular will make life miserable for opposing D handling puck retrieval and breakouts. And their speed obviously helps push F/D back going towards the opponents net as well.

I don't have 3 or 4 massive bio's in me this year, haha and Bun Cook is getting that particular treatment, but some very preliminary searches on Crawford are turning up good results, stuff that hasn't been included in either bio yet. So I'll probably give in a career spanning, once over and add any major bullet points I come up with. Those pre consolidation players have so much to unearth. Just takes a lot of time, which many of us know haha.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

I find it hard to figure out exactly how good these guys are defensively. So many of them sound great in newspaper articles, but they can't all be elite.

For me, I measure each player against his own peers. In an era where everyone was good.... then good is just the average.

Reactions: rmartin65

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I find it hard to figure out exactly how good these guys are defensively. So many of them sound great in newspaper articles, but they can't all be elite.

For me, I measure each player against his own peers. In an era where everyone was good.... then good is just the average.

I get that.

I definitely wouldn't want to draft Rusty Crawford as my primary defensive winger if I was in the same division as the likes of Gordie Howe / Bobby Hull, like I am.

But I would have happily used him as a "two-way" guy on the side of the ice that didn't have a superstar winger worth giving special attention to.

Crawford did have pretty high "star power," despite stats that were just ok, so I take that into account.

Last edited:
Reactions: tinyzombies

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
I'm going to take the plunge on a coach, and I think Ken Hitchcock is one of the last really good ones on the board.

I think ATD discourse has trained us to be unnecessarily wary of pairing defense-first coaches with any kind of offensive ringer at all, but I like that my absolute worst two-way player (Dye) is most often compared to Brett Hull, who he used to great effect in Dallas. He's got some great checking forwards headlined by Brind'amour, a coach's dream in Gerard, and an absolute animal of an on-ice leader in Chelios.

Reactions: Hawkey Town 18

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
I've spent my last few picks grabbing players to defend up front so I'll take an all offense player who can seamlessly move around my lineup. Tommy Smith, C/LW

Tommy+Smith.png

His success with Joe Malone as his center, and Lalonde's success with Malone at LW makes him a pretty decent fit with MacKay and Lalonde on our second line.

But he'll likely move around our lineup between LW and C depending on the matchups

2015 Bio

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I've spent my last few picks grabbing players to defend up front so I'll take an all offense player who can seamlessly move around my lineup. Tommy Smith, C/LW

Tommy+Smith.png

His success with Joe Malone as his center, and Lalonde's success with Malone at LW makes him a pretty decent fit with MacKay and Lalonde on our second line.

But he'll likely move around our lineup between LW and C depending on the matchups

2015 Bio

You certainly removed a temptation of mine to draft him, even though I don't need him. Not that it really matters, but he's more a LW/C than the other way around. My pick coming shortly.

Reactions: ResilientBeast

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL

2015 Bio

I like him as a pick here, but I’m not sure I understand this logic. Doesn’t that just mean they both work well with a Malone type?

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
I like him as a pick here, but I’m not sur eI understand this logic. Doesn’t that just mean they both work well with a Malone type?

I think offensively Malone and Lalonde have similar strengths, and Smith excelled playing with a goal scoring center in Malone so him playing with Lalonde should be ok.

Lalonde excelled playing with Malone, so having a pure goal scorer on the wing shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Even though I already have 5 (or 6 if you count Pavelich) center-eligible players, they are all LH-shots. So I'll grab a RH center to mix it up in

Phil Watson, C (and occasional RW)

Watson was a fast two-way player and big time agitator, called the "spark plug" of the Rangers

His 7 year VsX score is a respectable 76.7, and he was a 2nd Team All Star at C once

Full bio here: ATD 2010 Bios

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I think offensively Malone and Lalonde have similar strengths, and Smith excelled playing with a goal scoring center in Malone so him playing with Lalonde should be ok.

Lalonde excelled playing with Malone, so having a pure goal scorer on the wing shouldn't be an issue.

Is the forward pass allowed in the ATD?

In the pre-forward pass era, it was a lot more common for 2 individualistic goal scorers to succeed together than afterwards.

Reactions: ResilientBeast

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Even though I already have 5 (or 6 if you count Pavelich) center-eligible players, they are all LH-shots. So I'll grab a RH center to mix it up in

Phil Watson, C (and occasional RW)

Watson was a fast two-way player and big time agitator, called the "spark plug" of the Rangers

His 7 year VsX score is a respectable 76.7, and he was a 2nd Team All Star at C once

Full bio here: ATD 2010 Bios

You are now my mortal enemy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad