ATD 2021 Draft Summary

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Would be interested to hear you elaborate on this. By inserting Kariya I definitely did not re-create the Bread Line (which it may have looked like I was trying to do when I took Iginla), but I think the line works fine as a scoring focused line, not meant to go power vs. power (the Henri Richard line is meant to match up against the other teams best).

As far as scoring line chemistry goes, Boucher is the defensive conscience, Iginla the physical presence, and Kariya is basically all offence and was really needed for my PP (although the team he Captained to Game 7 of the Cup Final was fairly defensive and coached by Mike Babcock). I think Boucher is a center that would work well with Kariya's style/creativity. While Boucher is certainly a playmaker first, it's important that he's not the type who needs to be carrying the puck all the time, the Bread Line was known for their complex offensive plays with multiple passes between players. Kariya is a balanced player offensively, which is also important, if he was all playmaker the line wouldn't work, but Kariya was a strong goal scorer.
My thought would be - Iginla is a physical presence but I don't really think of him as a corner guy. More of a sniper. So I look at that line and wonder - who is the puck hound? Who's the guy who is going to win the puck battles to get the puck to Iginla so he can use his shot?

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
My thought would be - Iginla is a physical presence but I don't really think of him as a corner guy. More of a sniper. So I look at that line and wonder - who is the puck hound? Who's the guy who is going to win the puck battles to get the puck to Iginla so he can use his shot?

Really? My memory of Iginla is a great corner guy, just going around a wreaking havoc physically. Would be interested to hear other people's thoughts.
That being said, the line is probably going to more dangerous in transition because of what I mentioned about Boucher and Kariya's creativity, certainly not a dump and chase line.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Iginla was one of the best corner men of his generation, at least among star-level players, but probably overall.
I'll stand corrected on that then - I guess I just think of his shot and goal scoring when I think of him. Also most of my viewings of him were later career Iginla, so that probably isn't the best reference point anyway.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Would be interested to hear you elaborate on this. By inserting Kariya I definitely did not re-create the Bread Line (which it may have looked like I was trying to do when I took Iginla), but I think the line works fine as a scoring focused line, not meant to go power vs. power (the Henri Richard line is meant to match up against the other teams best).

As far as scoring line chemistry goes, Boucher is the defensive conscience, Iginla the physical presence, and Kariya is basically all offence and was really needed for my PP (although the team he Captained to Game 7 of the Cup Final was fairly defensive and coached by Mike Babcock). I think Boucher is a center that would work well with Kariya's style/creativity. While Boucher is certainly a playmaker first, it's important that he's not the type who needs to be carrying the puck all the time, the Bread Line was known for their complex offensive plays with multiple passes between players. Kariya is a balanced player offensively, which is also important, if he was all playmaker the line wouldn't work, but Kariya was a strong goal scorer.

Yeah, it can "work", but I see it as the equivalent of drafting Kariya to play him with Trottier-Bossy. Just repulsive to my aesthetic sense. I also hold you to higher standards than most GMs, so you got the hammer.

Edit: Also the fact you picked him over Vladimir Krutov made it memorable to my mind as a bad decision when it happened.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad