ATD 2021 - Bob Cole Division First Round (4) Cleveland Spiders v. (5) Minnesota North Stars

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
CLEVELAND SPIDERS

coach; Joel Quenneville

Captain: Bobby Clarke
Alternates: Larry Robinson, Carl Brewer

Bill Barber-Bobby Clarke-Teemu Selanne
Syd Howe-Mike Modano-Gordie Drillon
Mats Naslund-Joe Primeau-Jimmy Ward
Dave Balon-Fleming Mackell-Owen Nolan

Extra: Charlie Simmer, Brad Richards

Ivan Johnson- Larry Robinson
Carl Brewer-Babe Pratt
Art Duncan-Lloyd Cook

Extra: Lars Erik Sjoberg

Martin Brodeur
Gerry Cheevers

Special Teams:

PP 1: Syd Howe, Mike Modano,Teemu Selanne, Babe Pratt, Bill Barber
PP 2: Mats Naslund, Bobby Clarke, Gordie Drillon, Larry Robinson, Carl Brewer

PK 1: Bobby Clarke, Jimmy Ward, Larry Robinson, Ivan Johnson
PK 2: Dave Balon, Fleming Mackell, Carl Brewer, Art Duncan

VERSUS

MINNESOTA NORTH STARS

Coach: Hap Day

Captain: Mark Messier
Alternate: King Clancy
Alternate: Boris Mayorov

Anatoli Firsov - Mark Messier - Mark Recchi
Baldy Northcott - Dave Keon - Didier Pitre
Boris Mayorov - Joe Nieuwendyk - Ace Bailey
Wayne Cashman - Red Sullivan - Shane Doan

Spares: Murray Oliver, Ryan Smyth

King Clancy - Hod Stuart
Allan Stanley - Alex Pietrangelo
Gary Bergman - Kevin Hatcher

Spare: Dave Burrows

Frank Brimsek
Rogie Vachon

PP1: Firsov - Messier - Pitre - Clancy - Stuart
PP2: Mayorov - Nieuwendyk - Recchi - Stanley - Hatcher

PK1: Keon - Sullivan - Stanley - Pietrangelo
PK2: Messier - Bailey - Stuart - Hatcher
Extra PK forwards: Firsov, Northcott
Extra PK defenseman: Bergman

tabness

be a playa
Apr 4, 2014
Cleveland’s first line with Modano right behind makes matchups a breeze for them I think. I’m assuming Minnesota wants Keon’s unit to try and handle them? A little more toughness would really put the finishing touches on Cleveland though.

Reactions: Hawkman

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
With toughness in mind I have made some changes to my forward lines:

Bill Barber-Bobby Clarke-Teemu Selanne
Syd Howe-Mike Modano-Owen Nolan
Mats Naslund-Joe Primeau-Gordie Drillon
Dave Balon-Fleming Mackell-Jimmy Ward

So Owen Nolan goes to my 2nd line from my 4th, Drillon to my 3rd line from my 2nd and Ward to my 4th line from my 3rd.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I think ideally, Day matches up the Keon line against the Modano line. I think Northcott and Keon are a duo that could shut them down and make it a very difficult matchup.

Messier line vs the Clarke line. Both of top 6 lines are a bitch to play against.

I should also be stated: let’s not underestimate a Mark Messier-lead playoff club.

Minnesota is built for playoff hockey. Keep the games low scoring, physical and tough to play against.

We aren’t offensive dynamos, and Cleveland has Brodeur, but I still think Minnesota is the superior overall club built to win a tough series.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
The Clarke/Messier battle could be quite tantalizing to watch as both guys are amongst the best all time when it came to toughness at the centre position.

I will get into more comparisons tomorrow.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Some thoughts on this series:

Coaching:

Joel Quenneville vs. Hap Day:

Both coaches are among the top 10 all time and be assets for their team. Whatever team wins this series it won’t be because of a weakness at the coach’s position.

1st Line:

Bill Barber/Bobby Clarke/Teemu Selanne vs. Anatoli Firsov/Mark Messeir/Mark Recchi
I think the Clarke/Messeir matchup is going to be extremely tantalizing. Both are guys that are warriors and the type of guys you want on your team in any draft. Looking at the other positional matchups; I think you have advantage at LW 1 with Firsov over Barber. Admittedly, Bill Barber was picked by me because of his familiarity with Clarke. I’ll admit he’s the weakest player on either of our 2 first lines. Selanne/Recchi is an advantage for me. I think Clarke and Selanne will play well off 1 another. Recchi’s no slouch but give me Selanne here. I think I have the first line advantage here.

2nd Line:

Syd Howe/Mike Modano/Owen Nolan vs. Baldy Northcott/Dave Keon/Didier Pitre
Looking at the lineups right away I can see a clear advantage for my team. Dave Keon is the kind of guy that’s a good player but I’m not sure he should be a 2nd line centre in a 24 team ATD. Looking at the rest of the line I think I have the advantage at Left Wing with Howe over Northcott. I think you have the advantage at right wing however. I put Nolan there to add some toughness to the line. Overall I think I have a second line advantage here.

3rd Line:

Mats Naslund/Joe Primeau/Gordie Drillon vs. Boris Mayorov/Joe Nieuwendyk/Ace Bailey

I think this battle may favor you actually. Again my team has the weakest player on the line in Mats Naslund. I added Drillon to the line because of the switch I did in my right wings . Him and Primeau should click as playmaker and goal scorer but that still doesn’t make much difference. Nieuwendyk and Bailey are both solid players who I think will benefit your team quite a lot. Overall the 3rd line advantage to your team.

4th Line:

Dave Balon/Fleming Mackell/Jimmy Ward vs. Wayne Cashman/Red Sullivan/Shane Doan
This looks to be the checking/defensive line for both our teams. Comparing the 3 spots across the different teams I think you have the advantage in Balon vs. Cashman, Mackell and Sullivan is a wash. In a vacuum I think I’d pick Shane Doan over Jimmy Ward but given the roles here I think I’d rather Ward as my checking line right winger than Shane Doan.

Defense Pairing 1:

Larry Robinson/Ivan Johnson vs. King Clancy/Hod Stuart
Looks like we went in opposite directions with our style of defensemen on our 1st pairing. Robinson and Johnson tread more defensively and Clancy and Stuart are more offensive. Still these are 2 solid pairings. I think Robinson and Johnson will click a bit more so I give an advantage here to me.

Defense Pairing 2:

Carl Brewer/Babe Pratt vs. Allan Stanley/Alex Pietrangelo

This should be another good battle among defensemen. We have 3 former Leafs on our pairings plus Alex Pietrangelo. Pietrangelo has grown into one of the game’s best defenseman currently but I’m not sure he’s a top 4 worthy defenseman at this level yet. He’s going to get there eventually, just not sure he’s there yet. I still think Stanley’s the best defenseman on these pairings but I think Pietrangelo will bring down the pairing a little so I’ll go with my pairing here.

Defense Pairing 3:

Art Duncan/Lloyd Cook vs. Gary Bergman/Kevin Hatcher

I drafted my pairing largely based upon familiarity and nothing else. I think your bottom pairing is better than mine. Bergman and Hatcher are both solid defensemen. Before I joined the drafts in 2010 I always thought of Hatcher as more offensive than defensive but upon joining these drafts I’ve found out he’s a good way defenseman and good for a 2nd pairing. So yeah advantage to your 3rd pairing.

Goalie:

Martin Brodeur vs. Frank Brimsek

We both went for an all time great goalie with our goalie picks. Brimsek is a solid choice and among the top 10 goalies ever, he would usually give you an advantage in his net in a few matchups but not here, Brodeur is among the best ever to play in net. I have the advantage here.

Final Thoughts:

Overall this is a good matchup and I wish you all the best in our series.

Say Hey Kid

it's better to burn out than to fade awa
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
@tony d you're really selling your bottom pairing short. I would be happy with either of them as a 4D at 24 teams, I think they're a huge strength for your squad
Agreed. Art Duncan-Lloyd Cook

In the first 3 rounds you built a solid defensive foundation with the trio of Robinson, Clarke, and Brodeur.

Clarke's real life LW Bill Barber out shot even Clarke with 420 goals. That is a thoughtful touch of line chemistry. Good job and good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: tony d

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Some thoughts on this series:

Coaching:

Joel Quenneville vs. Hap Day:

Both coaches are among the top 10 all time and be assets for their team. Whatever team wins this series it won’t be because of a weakness at the coach’s position.

1st Line:

Bill Barber/Bobby Clarke/Teemu Selanne vs. Anatoli Firsov/Mark Messeir/Mark Recchi
I think the Clarke/Messeir matchup is going to be extremely tantalizing. Both are guys that are warriors and the type of guys you want on your team in any draft. Looking at the other positional matchups; I think you have advantage at LW 1 with Firsov over Barber. Admittedly, Bill Barber was picked by me because of his familiarity with Clarke. I’ll admit he’s the weakest player on either of our 2 first lines. Selanne/Recchi is an advantage for me. I think Clarke and Selanne will play well off 1 another. Recchi’s no slouch but give me Selanne here. I think I have the first line advantage here.

2nd Line:

Syd Howe/Mike Modano/Owen Nolan vs. Baldy Northcott/Dave Keon/Didier Pitre
Looking at the lineups right away I can see a clear advantage for my team. Dave Keon is the kind of guy that’s a good player but I’m not sure he should be a 2nd line centre in a 24 team ATD. Looking at the rest of the line I think I have the advantage at Left Wing with Howe over Northcott. I think you have the advantage at right wing however. I put Nolan there to add some toughness to the line. Overall I think I have a second line advantage here.

3rd Line:

Mats Naslund/Joe Primeau/Gordie Drillon vs. Boris Mayorov/Joe Nieuwendyk/Ace Bailey

I think this battle may favor you actually. Again my team has the weakest player on the line in Mats Naslund. I added Drillon to the line because of the switch I did in my right wings . Him and Primeau should click as playmaker and goal scorer but that still doesn’t make much difference. Nieuwendyk and Bailey are both solid players who I think will benefit your team quite a lot. Overall the 3rd line advantage to your team.

4th Line:

Dave Balon/Fleming Mackell/Jimmy Ward vs. Wayne Cashman/Red Sullivan/Shane Doan
This looks to be the checking/defensive line for both our teams. Comparing the 3 spots across the different teams I think you have the advantage in Balon vs. Cashman, Mackell and Sullivan is a wash. In a vacuum I think I’d pick Shane Doan over Jimmy Ward but given the roles here I think I’d rather Ward as my checking line right winger than Shane Doan.

Defense Pairing 1:

Larry Robinson/Ivan Johnson vs. King Clancy/Hod Stuart
Looks like we went in opposite directions with our style of defensemen on our 1st pairing. Robinson and Johnson tread more defensively and Clancy and Stuart are more offensive. Still these are 2 solid pairings. I think Robinson and Johnson will click a bit more so I give an advantage here to me.

Defense Pairing 2:

Carl Brewer/Babe Pratt vs. Allan Stanley/Alex Pietrangelo

This should be another good battle among defensemen. We have 3 former Leafs on our pairings plus Alex Pietrangelo. Pietrangelo has grown into one of the game’s best defenseman currently but I’m not sure he’s a top 4 worthy defenseman at this level yet. He’s going to get there eventually, just not sure he’s there yet. I still think Stanley’s the best defenseman on these pairings but I think Pietrangelo will bring down the pairing a little so I’ll go with my pairing here.

Defense Pairing 3:

Art Duncan/Lloyd Cook vs. Gary Bergman/Kevin Hatcher

I drafted my pairing largely based upon familiarity and nothing else. I think your bottom pairing is better than mine. Bergman and Hatcher are both solid defensemen. Before I joined the drafts in 2010 I always thought of Hatcher as more offensive than defensive but upon joining these drafts I’ve found out he’s a good way defenseman and good for a 2nd pairing. So yeah advantage to your 3rd pairing.

Goalie:

Martin Brodeur vs. Frank Brimsek

We both went for an all time great goalie with our goalie picks. Brimsek is a solid choice and among the top 10 goalies ever, he would usually give you an advantage in his net in a few matchups but not here, Brodeur is among the best ever to play in net. I have the advantage here.

Final Thoughts:

Overall this is a good matchup and I wish you all the best in our series.

Thanks for the comments tony, I’ll try to give my thoughts at some point tomorrow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->