ATD 2020 Signup and Discussion

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
One of the main complaints in the last years was that the playoffs were too stretched out and there was little participation. There were 4 to 5 rounds in the playoffs in those years.

4 rounds mean 8 teams make the playoffs.

5 rounds mean that 16 teams make it. (The proposal by @Namba 17 in his last post would be an example.) Could be stretched out to 24 teams if division winners get a bye in the first round. (Edit: As proposed by @The Macho Man in his last post.)

I don't think making the playoffs longer than in the last years would be very tempting, despite of the higher number of participants.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
One of the main complaints in the last years was that the playoffs were too stretched out and there was little participation. There were 4 to 5 rounds in the playoffs in those years.

4 rounds mean 8 teams make the playoffs.

5 rounds mean that 16 teams make it. (The proposal by @Namba 17 in his last post would be an example.) Could be stretched out to 24 teams if division winners get a bye in the first round. (Edit: As proposed by @The Macho Man in his last post.)

I don't think making the playoffs longer than in the last years would be very tempting, despite of the higher number of participants.
I mean - 16 teams might be the sweet spot. Also despite having 40 teams we do only have 25 gms.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I'm indifferent to the playoff format. If forced to choose, I'd rather fewer teams in the playoffs. If only the divisional winners made it, we would still have 3 rounds, which is a lot.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I'm indifferent to the playoff format. If forced to choose, I'd rather fewer teams in the playoffs. If only the divisional winners made it, we would still have 3 rounds, which is a lot.
I dont have a ton of skin ever. My pride would be hurt by never making the playoffs in a main ATD but I would survive.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
The only thing is, with so many divisions should we devise a wild card?

There's a chance the 3 seed in one division could be at least a 2 seed somewhere else

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
We could have 5 rounds but with less series so there isn’t an overwhelming number of series threads to read/vote on. What about this?...

1st round the division winners get byes and there are 8 play-in series where the 2nd seed of division A plays the 3rd seed of division B.

2nd round is another 8 series round where the division winners face the 1st round winners.
Would have to decide if we want the Division A winner to face the winner of Division B 2 vs. Division A 3 -or- the winner of Division A 2 vs. Division B 3.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
My thinking is that, if you're not Top 2 in your division, do you realistically have a shot at the title?

Maybe, maybe in a super division of death this could happen (the Robson from ATD2017 comes to mind immediately), but in general a real contender will finish Top 2 out of 5.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
I think my preference is just for only 16 to make it. Since there’s so much on the line maybe make a thread where each GM can make a case for his team before regular season voting.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Why rob the pleasure of winning a division?

A semifinal and final round for each division gives significance to an accomplishment.

8 division winners then are left for conference semifinal and final rounds. Then the championship series.

Simple and meaningful.

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Something maybe like this for each side?

10-team-tournament-bracket.gif

Have the first round be a matchup between two teams that are top 2 in their division, but with the lowest point totals, and the two teams that did not finish in the top 2 with the highest voting point totals

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
The World Cup of soccer keeps it simple:

Round of 32.
Round of 16.
Round of 8.
Semifinal.
Final.

This is slightly different than the world cup lol

If our teams were actually playing I'd agree simple round of 16.

But looking at the divisions there are some divisions were a good gm likely building a good team will get screwed

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
I think adding the two best non-playoff teams and giving the top 2 seeds of each conference a bye is a nice reward for building the overall best name

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I think a 4 round 16 team playoff should be the absolute minimum, with 2 from each division making the playoffs.

Although I would also be fine with one more round and 4 from each division.

I think 6 rounds with every team making it is too much.

I honestly think 4 teams per division making it is best. It doesn't happen often, but once in awhile 3 of the best teams are in the same division.

I DEFINITELY think at least 2 teams per division need to make it.

Reactions: VanIslander

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad