ATD 2011 Lineup Advice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafs Forever

Jul 14, 2009
how bad is it if your goalie never won the cup?

I wouldn't really hold it against a goalie; it's a team trophy, after all. If he was a good goalie in the regular season and/or playoffs, not winning a cup isn't going to change that. If he did his part but just couldn't get the scoring from his team, we can't really fault him at all.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
It depends why they never won. If they choked in big games, that's a problem, if they didn't because they carried their team as far as they could but ran into superior teams, that isn't a problem.

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
First line of Duff-Beliveau-Kurri is complete. What would you say is a bigger need, a winger for McGee or a defenseman to round out my top 4? I'm thinking best winger available.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Going with Roberts-Stastny-Cournoyer as the first line. Well balanced, good size, skill, toughness and defence. Utilizes Stastny as a playmaker to the fullest. Moore-Bowie-Makarov as the second unit, makes sure Bowie has playmaking from the wings, quicker line that will be neer impossible to contain on open ice, will struggle a bit to win battles in tight. Moore will win some battles, Bowie is underrated as a battler and Makarov can be used to move the puck out on the perimeter. Less versitile, but more explosive than the Stastny line. Also ensures a balanced murderer's row attack.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Going with Roberts-Stastny-Cournoyer as the first line. Well balanced, good size, skill, toughness and defence. Utilizes Stastny as a playmaker to the fullest. Moore-Bowie-Makarov as the second unit, makes sure Bowie has playmaking from the wings, quicker line that will be neer impossible to contain on open ice, will struggle a bit to win battles in tight. Moore will win some battles, Bowie is underrated as a battler and Makarov can be used to move the puck out on the perimeter. Less versitile, but more explosive than the Stastny line. Also ensures a balanced murderer's row attack.

That "second" line is better than the "first" line!

Dwight

The French Tickler
Jul 8, 2006
West Island
The ATD thread positions are far from the bible. Someone last year or the year before could have mistakingly said "Bobrov, W" when posting and it got copied, but he never actually had dual wing elgibility.

You should look into it more.

I intend to.

I suppose I could always do something like

Bob- Mario - Gritty Glue Guy (GGG)
Tetsuhiko - Federko - Boris

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Just do everything in your power to make the team in front of him as strong as possible I guess. If two teams are equal then the team with the clutch goalie will probably get the votes though.

thx for taking your time to answer , but I dont have this problem anymore , I drafted Alec Connell and he won 2 cups.There's a couple of goalies you can put in his tier , but I don't feel any of them had the mix of regular season/playoff like Connell with the cups.

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
Who are everyone's early favorites? I won't speak on behalf of my division because I don't like to reveal weaknesses ;) or who I think is the best team so far

This is isn't for self-esteem purposes (really), Just a pat on the back to the GM's you think have the best team so far.

Here goes:

Hewitt Division: Minnesota Fighting Saints - Lethal top-6, with the right chemistry and assembled lines on the power play, the Saints could be impeccable.

Magnus Division: Regina Pats - Solid first line, and a great top pairing on D, not sold on Tony-O, none the less solid goaltender.

Pollock Division: Chicago Steelers/Gwinnett Gladiators - Very tough decision, Vancouver's D is solid, but I like what these two teams have so far, the Steelers offense is so far phenomenal and the defense is also noteworthy. Gladiators have a solid start to the offense and defense, and a solid first PP.

Cole Division: Battle Creek Battalion - Honorable Mention to the Sharks, but I like the direction the Battalion are going in. I knew Bobrov was a stud, but I don't know why, I've heard he has a few intangibles and flaws, and he's very hard to get good chemistry with. But Lemieux is a great playmaker. I like Federko and Mikhailov on the same line a lot.

Lecavalier Division: Ottawa Senators - Close division, I like Ottawa because of their first line. And Gerard/Pronger is a punishing first pairing. Provost is a good power forward and Modano is a dynamic forward.

Green Division: Jokerit - A Hull-Forsberg-Hull line would be just ridiculous, that's a prime ATD goal-scoring line, I'd recommend it for the PP. Defense has a strong build as well.

Northey Division: Detroit Falcons - Big fan of the defense, It'll be a tough time for oppositions forwards to breakthrough these guys. Flaman was a bone crushing hitter, Harvey is an elite defenseman and Chara's size is used to his advantage.

No hard feelings on anyone! just my opinion so far, bored with hardly any activity in the ATD today! Great job so far everyone!

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Too early to tell for me, most of the rosters only have 7 or 8 skaters.

I will say that Eagle's defence being in my division sucks, that will be the best defence in the draft for sure but I have the forwards to combat it. HArvey and Corbeau will have their hands full with Shutt-Morenz-xxxx, Chara and Flaman aren't going to be able to use their usual tricks against Leclair-Lindros-xxxxx.

Leafs Forever

Jul 14, 2009
Who are everyone's early favorites? I won't speak on behalf of my division because I don't like to reveal weaknesses or who I think is the best team so far

This is isn't for self-esteem purposes (really), Just a pat on the back to the GM's you think have the best team so far.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

Barring any blockbuster trades, that will definately be the best top-6 in the draft.

The mix, to me anyway, just seems a little off... not enough that they aren't the best top-6, but something's just off to me. There just doesn't seem to be a way for you to arrange the players to fully utilize all 6 guys. As you move guys around, you just create new quirks. I think the lack of puck-winning and physical presence is what bugs me. Outside of Moore, though, there is not much toughness. I wouldn't call any of them soft, but there is a distinct lack of muscle.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I disagree that Roberts lacks muscle. He was very big for his era.

But I'm honestly considering rolling 3 lines and spreading two of these guys out per line.

Being big doesn't tell us how he played.

There are lots of big guys who don't play big. There is some evidence that Roberts was tough, but again, that doesn't really tell us that he's good along the boards. I'm not sure I'd buy him as the primary puck-winner and primary physical presence, especially since he's got no help in either area.

hungryhungryhippy

Feb 7, 2010
Who are everyone's early favorites? I won't speak on behalf of my division because I don't like to reveal weaknesses ;) or who I think is the best team so far

Here goes:

Pollock Division: Chicago Steelers/Gwinnett Gladiators - Very tough decision, Vancouver's D is solid, but I like what these two teams have so far, the Steelers offense is so far phenomenal and the defense is also noteworthy. Gladiators have a solid start to the offense and defense, and a solid first PP.

No hard feelings on anyone! just my opinion so far, bored with hardly any activity in the ATD today! Great job so far everyone!

Hey, what the **** is your problem! :rant:

Just kidding, haha. Thanks for the honourable mention (?) at least, but my teams aren't built to stand out, they're built to win playoff match-ups :)

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
Being big doesn't tell us how he played.

There are lots of big guys who don't play big. There is some evidence that Roberts was tough, but again, that doesn't really tell us that he's good along the boards. I'm not sure I'd buy him as the primary puck-winner and primary physical presence, especially since he's got no help in either area.

I think big guys usually have the ability to be strong along the boards. But some are more willing to go into the corners than others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->