ATD 2011 Lineup Advice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
I'd let Martinec run his own PP, he was an excellent playmaker and had tremendous hockey sense and vision. I'd put a net crasher with Denneny and Keats, and moved Martinec down to 2nd PP unit to run his own show.

Having two puckhandlers on a powerplay is fine, and I see no reason why Denneny can't be your slot/garbage guy. In fact, I think he's perfect in that role. I think Denneny - Keats - Martinec looks good. Don't forget that your top powerplay unit can realistically eat up 75-80% of your man-advantage icetime if you want it to. Top powerplay skaters hit those numbers all the time, as it's not terribly strenuous playing keepaway. You want the most possible talent on the ice for your first unit powerplay, and I see no reason why over the course of a season Keats and Martinec couldn't learn to work together.

Reds4Life

Dec 24, 2007
Having two puckhandlers on a powerplay is fine, and I see no reason why Denneny can't be your slot/garbage guy. I think Denneny - Keats - Martinec looks good. Don't forget that your top powerplay unit can realistically eat up 75-80% of your man-advantage icetime if you want it to. Top powerplay skaters hit those numbers all the time, as it's not terrible strenuous playing keepaway win the man advantage. You want the most possible talent on the ice for your powerplay.

There is only one puck to go around, and based on games I have seen, Martinec* is best used as the brain of the PP, which is why I'd split the trio to create 2 dangerous PP units. But that's just my $0.02.

* I am a big fan, I've met him several times in person and even got an autograph :nod:

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
I'm jealous. Martinec is easily one of the most interesting figures in 70's hockey. I wish I had gotten a chance to see him more often live. I think I only got to watch those great Czech teams live once in the Olympics on TV, and the memories are pretty fuzzy, at that. I didn't really know who Martinec was at the time.

Dwight

The French Tickler
Jul 8, 2006
West Island
Paul Kariya - Mario Lemieux - ?????
????? - Bernie Federko - Boris Mikhailov

Not sure what to do here - do I move Mikhailov up, or do I take a lesser guy and go with the "Lemieux will make him better" argument?

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke

Not sure what to do here - do I move Mikhailov up, or do I take a lesser guy and go with the "Lemieux will make him better" argument?

I love the look of Federko-Mikhailov, keep those studs together and just draft a right winger with goal-scoring abilities, Lemieux will help him out big time.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
I'd let Martinec run his own PP, he was an excellent playmaker and had tremendous hockey sense and vision. I'd put a net crasher with Denneny and Keats, and moved Martinec down to 2nd PP unit to run his own show.

Really? Denneny and Keats were both net crashers in their own right, and they will almost certainly be my best goal scorers too. They may quite likely play more than half of the PP.

Dwight

The French Tickler
Jul 8, 2006
West Island
I love the look of Federko-Mikhailov, keep those studs together and just draft a right winger with goal-scoring abilities, Lemieux will help him out big time.

I agree with you on Federko-Mikhailov. Love them together, just hope I can get myself a serviceable RW for the 1st line.

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
What style player do you think would fit best with Beliveau-Kurri? Jean can certainly serve as the playmaker or shooter on a line, but with Kurri along him will definitely be a passer. A corner, gritty guy would be the obvious choice, but does anyone think it matters if that guy is more of a goal scorer or passer because of the versatility of the other two?

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
What style player do you think would fit best with Beliveau-Kurri? Jean can certainly serve as the playmaker or shooter on a line, but with Kurri along him will definitely be a passer. A corner, gritty guy would be the obvious choice, but does anyone think it matters if that guy is more of a goal scorer or passer because of the versatility of the other two?

No. Just take the best left winger you can find.

Leafs Forever

Jul 14, 2009
Any thoughts on what type of player I should add for my 2nd line. Currently have either:

Prentice-?-Litzenberger or
Prentice-Litzenberger-?

Prentice covers the intangibles, so really you can take a BPA scoring C or RW as long as the goalscoring and playmaking is equal in the line total.

Last edited:

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Prentice covers the intangibles, so really you can take a BPA scoring C or RW as long as the goalscoring and playmaking is equal in the line total.

I think he needs playmaking more than goalscoring. Litz was more goalscorer than playmaker and Prentice is absolutely not qualified to be the primary playmaker on a scoringline. Luckily there are plenty of qualified playmakers left, especially at center.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
What kind of player would you put with Denis Savard? A scorer and a glue guy?

Keep in mind I probably won't be able to draft them until 399th +

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Jack Darragh or Alex Maltsev?

to play right wing on the first PP with Esposito and Luc Robitaille.

Definitely Maltsev. Better player, better playmaker.

Any thoughts on what type of player I should add for my 2nd line. Currently have either:

Prentice-?-Litzenberger or
Prentice-Litzenberger-?

A guy who brings as much offense as possible. Prentice is mediocre at best offensively for a scoring line, though he's quite good at the corner stuff and defensive stuff (though not elite at either), and Litzenberger isn't going to carry a line's offense.

Having two puckhandlers on a powerplay is fine, and I see no reason why Denneny can't be your slot/garbage guy. In fact, I think he's perfect in that role. I think Denneny - Keats - Martinec looks good. Don't forget that your top powerplay unit can realistically eat up 75-80% of your man-advantage icetime if you want it to. Top powerplay skaters hit those numbers all the time, as it's not terribly strenuous playing keepaway. You want the most possible talent on the ice for your first unit powerplay, and I see no reason why over the course of a season Keats and Martinec couldn't learn to work together.

I agree. My philosophy is that the top PP unit should be as stacked as possible.

The only exception would be if jarek wanted to run 2 equal PPs of 2 different styles - a crash the net PP and a European-style perimeter PP. But in a 40 team draft, you'd be hard pressed to find enough talent to do that IMO.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn

You want to give Mario Lemieux as much ice time in offensive situations as he can reasonably handle, so keep in mind that his wings will be sharing that ice time with him.

I don't think it matters if the guy is a goal scorer or passer, but I would take a power forward if you can find a left wing power forward who is talented enough to play on a top line. Beliveau CAN take care of himself, but he shouldn't have to, and Montreal usually put a tough guy on Beliveau's line (first Olmstead then a less talented guy) to do the dirty work for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad