ATD 2011 Lineup Advice Thread II

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Why would that matter? Of course the average size would change over a player's career... by fractions of an inch. Considering this important would be the pinnacle of micromanagement.

Not if the size of the average top level hockey player has gone up considerably faster than the size of the average full-grown male.

In today's hockey world, the biggest and bulkiest are going to rise to the top. It doesn't appear that was the way it was back then. It's important to judge all aspects of a player in relation to their peers, including their size. The player's non-hockey playing brother and next door neighbour is NOT their peer. Other hockey players are.

Does anyone know if average size has gone down after the lockout? I would think with the rule changes there would be more smaller faster guys and less big pylons.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Does anyone know if average size has gone down after the lockout? I would think with the rule changes there would be more smaller faster guys and less big pylons.

I think it has gone down fractions of an inch.

Time for an assassination thread anyone? or should we just stick to posting here?

just no. please. we still have 250 picks to make. It is not assassination time!

Leafs Forever

Jul 14, 2009
I'm on the "no assasination bandwagon." Keep it all in here. It shouldn't be made until the very last round, and I think in doing that spares would be better emphasized (I think their importance is likely underrated [by myself included] in the past, and that this has contributed to people wanting to jump the gun on assasination when they see their lines are done).

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I'm glad you guys agree.

Lately the start of assassination season has resembled the start of Christmas season. Hopefully we put a stop to that this time around.

hungryhungryhippy

Feb 7, 2010
Yeah, I was actually going to PM you last week, seventies, and ask if their could lock any assassination threads that pop up before the final pick of the draft had been made (or skipped) -- 720.

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
Head Coach: Mike Keenan
Captain: Sprague Cleghorn
Assistant Captains: Phil Esposito, Bob Pulford, Barclay Plager

ROSTER

Luc Robitaille - Phil Esposito - Cam Neely
Vic Hadfield - Alexander Maltsev - HÃ¥kan Loob
Brenden Morrow - Bob Pulford - Bill Goldsworthy
Ryan Walter - Dennis Maruk - Duane Sutter
Spares:

Alexander Ragulin - Sprague Cleghorn
Barclay Plager - Barry Beck
Ian Turnbull - Barry Ashbee
Spares:

Tiny Thompson

POWERPLAY

PP1: Luc Robitaille - Phil Esposito - Alexander Maltsev - Ian Turnbull - Sprague Cleghorn

PP2: __________ - __________ - Cam Neely - Alexander Ragulin - Barry Beck

PENALTY KILL

PK1: Bob Pulford - Cam Neely - Barclay Plager - Sprague Cleghorn

PK2: __________ - Brenden Morrow - Alexander Ragulin - Barry Beck

Besides back-up goaltending and spares, team is complete. What do you guys think?

Also how should I fill the remaining special team slots?

PP2 C Options: Maruk, Pulford
PP2 LW Options: Hadfield, Morrow, Walter, RW's (Goldie/Loob)
PK2 F Options: Esposito, Hadfield, Morrow, Goldsworthy, Walter, Maruk, Sutter

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
First glance I would say Walter on the pk.

Am I the only one who doesn't like Espo and Luc on the same PP?

Both in front of the net, I know. That's something that could also be discussed. But the offensive capability is a pretty big drop-off on LW. Not saying Hadfield is bad, he did score 50 one year, 23 on the PP, but does he really fit on a 1st PP?

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Hadfield shouldn't be on the pp either. I don't see why guys can't play the opposite wing on the PP, especially a versatile guy like Maltsev.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Hadfield shouldn't be on the pp at all. I don't see why guys can't play the opposite wing on the PP, especially a versatile guy like Maltsev.

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
So with my top 12 now complete:

Busher Jackson - Bobby Clarke - Punch Broadbent
J.P. Parise - Joe Nieuwendyk - Bill Mosienko
Dave Trottier - Joel Otto - John McKenzie
Doc Romnes - Erich Kühnhackl - Pat Verbeek

I think I could shuffle the 3 LWs behind Jackson in numerous ways. Right now I'm going for obvious checking 3rd line and highly offensive yet gritty 4th line. Thoughts?

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke

I think I could shuffle the 3 LWs behind Jackson in numerous ways. Right now I'm going for obvious checking 3rd line and highly offensive yet gritty 4th line. Thoughts?

Thought it was you that had drafted Kuhnhackl ;) remember MLD Division Quarter-Finals last year? :laugh:

Yeah that fourth line should be pretty explosive offensively. Maybe Trottier and Parise could be swapped, or Romnes and Parise.

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA

I like your 1st line. Clarke is one of my all time favorite players, and he'll be able to set up Busher very well. Broadbent provides a great amount of grit, and will be able to take on anyone that tries to go after Clarke. Clarke can start all the **** he wants, and Broadbent will back him up. I like that a lot. Parise is a little weak for a 2nd liner, but considering the role he's in he will suffice. Mosienko is a good enough playmaker to get Nieuwendyk the puck even though his best years as a playmaker were during WWII, which subtracts from his accomplishments a bit. 3rd line is decent, no problems there. Same for the 4th line.

Dwight

The French Tickler
Jul 8, 2006
West Island
Thought it was you that had drafted Kuhnhackl ;) remember MLD Division Quarter-Finals last year? :laugh:

Yeah that fourth line should be pretty explosive offensively. Maybe Trottier and Parise could be swapped, or Romnes and Parise.

Guess we finally sold him on Kuhnhackl...just a bit too late :shakehead:sarcasm:

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
Bun Cook - Adam Oates - Jarome Iginla
Valery Kamensky - Bobby Smith - Danny Gare
Don Marshall - Don Luce - Mario Tremblay
Dennis Hextall - Mike Richards - Cliff Koroll

Red Horner - Dit Clapper
Carol Vadnais - Jack Crawford
Behn Wilson - Joe Jerwa

Glenn Hall

I need some help with special teams. My first PK unit will look like this:

Marshall - Luce
Horner - Crawford

Clapper will anchor the second pair, but who would be better, Jerwa or Wilson?
Also, can Oates or Cook kill penalties at a reasonably high level?

And on the PP, did Iginla or Gare ever spend any time on the point? After Clapper and Vadnais, I don't have much in offense from the blue line.

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA

Red Horner - Dit Clapper
Behn Wilson - Joe Jerwa

Glenn Hall

Marshall - Luce
Horner - Crawford

And on the PP, did Iginla or Gare ever spend any time on the point? After Clapper and Vadnais, I don't have much in offense from the blue line.

Richards definitely needs to be on your PK. He holds the all time record for 5-3 shorthanded goals, and is first in the league in shorthanded goals by four over the next guy(Hossa) since entering the league in 2005-06. If he continues at the same pace he is, and plays as many games as Gretzky, he'll have the most shorthanded goals all time.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Oates was a good pker too I think. Agree with Billy though - you don't draft Richards and not hve him kill penalties. Oates is a great third option though.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007

Red Horner - Dit Clapper
Behn Wilson - Joe Jerwa

Glenn Hall

Marshall - Luce
Horner - Crawford

I don't think Iginla or Gare played the point, as far as I know.

Mike Richards played the point for at least some of the 07-08 and 08-09 seasons.

I'm sure Oates could do it, but you probably want him up front.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad