ATD 2011 Lineup Advice Thread II

vecens24

Jun 1, 2009
Regehr would be useless playing his off side, for starters. Gadsby-Mantha is an absolute dominant pair.

Oops I actually made that wrong. Harmon was a 2nd team All Star playing his off side. So my last pair is actually reversed. I'm an idiot hahaha

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Wanted to get some consensus on our top 6 on defense:

Rob Blake-Harvey Pulford
Lennart Svedberg-Dollard St.Laurent
Kevin Hatcher-Dave Manson

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
Bored and curious to thoughts on the tenative Lineup so far:

Bert Olmstead - Darryl Sittler (A) - Bernie Geoffrion
Dean Prentice - Paul Ronty - Ed Litzenberger (C)
Red Berenson - Art Chapman - Jerry Toppazzini
Shayne Corson - Rick Meagher - __________

Larry Robinson (A) - Allan Stanley
Vitaly Davydov - Viktor Kuzkin (A)
Bob Turner - Mathieu Schneider

Bernie Parent

PP1: Olmstead - Sittler - Litzenberger
Geoffrion - Robinson

PP2: Berenson - Ronty - Geoffrion
Schneider - Kuzkin

PK1: Prentice -Toppazzini
Robinson - Stanley

PK2: Berenson - Meagher
Turner - Davydov

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Tony, I thought of Dave Manson as a big hitter with a big shot who wasn't that good defensively. Am I wrong? If I'm right, your bottom pair is going to be a liability.

Mark, who is taking the face-off on your first pk? Also, geoffrion can't play the full PP if he sees time at forward.

Also, bench Bob Turner. :)

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
Tony, I thought of Dave Manson as a big hitter with a big shot who wasn't that good defensively. Am I wrong? If I'm right, your bottom pair is going to be a liability.

Mark, who is taking the face-off on your first pk? Also, geoffrion can't play the full PP if he sees time at forward.

When I selected Toppazzini I posted quotes referring to him playing both RW/C and being able to "do it all". Not a big deal if I have to Switch Berenson and Toppazzini though.

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA

As Manson's 2010 MLD owner, I got the same impression.

At times Manson was too over-exuberant in his offensive game too, making bad pinches, impossible passes, and plenty of turnovers. He was very much a gambler with the puck, and he got burned many times. This only led to a significant number of minor penalties, for hooking and tripping, because he did not have the superior foot speed to make up for his gaffes.

Had Manson learned to be more patient with the puck and just make the safe if unspectacular play, he would have been one heck of a defender. He might not have been as noticeable on the ice if he played more conservatively, but given his turnover history that might have been a good thing.

Defensively he could be an adventure, too. Certainly the opposition did not like to put the puck into his corner, given the likelihood he would try to put you into the first row of seats. But the opposition knew Manson would stray too far from his optimal position to make a big hit or to unnecessarily help out his defense partner. Poor reads by Manson led to wide open scoring chances for attackers too often.

http://blackhawkslegends.blogspot.com/2009/01/dave-manson.html

vecens24

Jun 1, 2009
I think Harmon should be on your middle pairing. He is clearly your third best defenseman.

I think that's just a lack of knowledge about Sologubov on your part. It's defintely Sologubov.

Joe Pelletier:

While most hockey fans and even the experts will pick Viacheslav Fetisov or maybe Sergei Zubov as the greatest Russian defenseman in history. Some might try to impress by mentioning the names, with good merit, of Alexei Kasatonov, Alexander Ragulin or Vitaly Davydov.

But the most researched experts know the title of greatest Russian defensemen is a coin toss between Fetisov and Nikolai Sologubov.

Retiring in the early 1960s, he never got the international acclaim others would. And lack of video footage and even Communist-era newspaper archives have left a non-existent legacy for the man some called "The Russian Bobby Orr."

Olympic champion -1956.
Wourld Champion 1956, 1963.
Europe Champion 1955, 1956, 1958, 1959, 1960, 1963.
Best defender of the championships of Wourld - 1956, 1957, 1960.
7x 1st team All-Star Soviet League (in an admittedly weak era, but still 7 times)

Gold WinnerOlympic Games 56' - 6 games, 1 Goal - Best defenders of the tournament
Bronze WinnerOlympic Games 60' - 5 games, 1 Goal 8 Assist 9 Pts. 2 PIM - Best defenders of the tournament

1972 Summit Series:

Aside from Viacheslav Fetisov, Nikolai Sologubov is often considered the best defenseman in Soviet hockey history. Because of the many changes in the eras the two defenders played in, who is better becomes sort of a generational debate much like Bobby Orr and Eddie Shore in the NHL.

Seve Bobrov, who, as the top Soviet scorer of the era, often duelled with Sologubov, said Sologubov gave him more trouble than any player including the Canadians. Said Bobrov "I could be happy if I scored just a single goal in a game"

Last edited:

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Bob Turner is a guy that I don't get why he gets drafted here. He himself admitted that he was hanging on by the skin of teeth to a roster spot in the NHL. After the Canadiens dynasty, he disappeared forever.

Leafs Forever

Jul 14, 2009
Bob Turner is a guy that I don't get why he gets drafted here. He himself admitted that he was hanging on by the skin of teeth to a roster spot in the NHL. After the Canadiens dynasty, he disappeared forever.

Just being on that Canadiens dynasty is the reason why, but besides that, when I looked at him he really hasn't done a lot to distinguish himself amongst defensive d-men that have and likely will be drafted. His stock is falling, on the bright side.

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
I think that's just a lack of knowledge about Sologubov on your part. It's defintely Sologubov.

Joe Pelletier:

Olympic champion -1956.
7x 1st team All-Star Soviet League (in an admittedly weak era, but still 7 times)

Gold WinnerOlympic Games 56' - 6 games, 1 Goal - Best defenders of the tournament
Bronze WinnerOlympic Games 60' - 5 games, 1 Goal 8 Assist 9 Pts. 2 PIM - Best defenders of the tournament

1972 Summit Series:

I think it's partly due to a lack of knowledge on your part about the level of competition Sologubov played against. Those Russian national teams lost to Canadian amateurs who would not get a sniff in the ATD.

vecens24

Jun 1, 2009
I think it's partly due to a lack of knowledge on your part about the level of competition Sologubov played against. Those Russian national teams lost to Canadian amateurs who would not get a sniff in the ATD.

I'm well aware of the weak level of competition. I don't think you can blame him though for those losses even just based off of the trophies he individually won though. You can't win hockey games by yourself. He was phenomenal in these international tournaments. And researchers seem to agree that he is behind Fetisov as the 2nd best defenseman in Soviet History.

The 50s and 60s Soviet teams had a rough time, but because the Czechs won the 2010 World Championships, does that mean that they were a better roster than the Canadians who went? Becuase I don't think they were better than the Canadians or even the Russians for that matter.

Just because a team doesn't win an international competition doesn't mean that the individual player didn't perform well. And Sologubov was CLEARLY one of the few best players in those competitions.

(and I'm not trying to defend the Russians losing those tourneys and I'm not saying the level of competition was high, because it wasn't particularly good, the Russians should have won with the players they had. But Sologubov always played well so you can't blame him)

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Just being on that Canadiens dynasty is the reason why, but besides that, when I looked at him he really hasn't done a lot to distinguish himself amongst defensive d-men that have and likely will be drafted. His stock is falling, on the bright side.

just being on the Canadiens dynasty is probably also why he was just hanging onto an NHL spot by the skin of his teeth. (see Al Arbour)

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn

To be fair to Turner, he was traded to the Blackhawks, where he was a veteran leader, as either a #3 or #4 defenseman for a couple of years.

I still wouldn't draft him for a top 6 role.

He's drafted because he has 5 All Star Teams, but none of them were on merit.

Joe Pelletier:

Olympic champion -1956.

1972 Summit Series:

Almost every single one of his accomplishments is before 62-63, which was more or less the start of Soviet domination of the international scene. So Soviet league accomplishments mean very little.

World Championships are meaningful to an extent. Who was the best defenseman in the Worlds in the years he didn't win them?

The problem is that the USSR at the time often lost to teams of Canadian amateurs that nobody would think of drafting (as Billy said). And the impression I got from HHH's profile is that Tumba kicked their butt.

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
There's this guy named Valeri Vasiliev that is pretty good too. I'd take Vasiliev, Ragulin, Lutchenko, and maybe some others over Sologubov personally. Who did Sologubov actually beat out for those awards? Have any of them been drafted? (I don't know the answer to this).

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
And researchers seem to agree that he is behind Fetisov as the 2nd best defenseman in Soviet History

Maybe in a "Soviet only" vacuum, but I think even then, most take Ragulin.

The 50s and 60s Soviet teams had a rough time, but because the Czechs won the 2010 World Championships, does that mean that they were a better roster than the Canadians who went? Becuase I don't think they were better than the Canadians or even the Russians for that matter.

The Canadian amateur teams that beat the Soviets in the late 50s on a regular basis were probably on about the same level as Switzerland is today.

(and I'm not trying to defend the Russians losing those tourneys and I'm not saying the level of competition was high, because it wasn't particularly good, the Russians should have won with the players they had. But Sologubov always played well so you can't blame him)

No, you can't blame him. But the problem is, what do we have to credit him with? He's a complete unknown against anything approaching NHL-level competition. I buy him as a very good bottom pairing puck mover and PP presence. I'd even buy him as a #4 puck mover if the #3 was an excellent defensive guy. But I just don't trust him to handle Gordie Howe in the corners or Maurice Richard charging towards the net.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
We are looking to get some feedback on our PK units. Here is what we had in mind so far...

Fedorov - Alfredsson
Vasiliev - Savard

McKenney - Lonsberry
Talbot - Tsygankov

We are pretty set on the D, but would like some feedback on our forwards. Also, I wanted to ask if some teams go with 3 pairs of forwards for the PK or are we only suppose to have 2? If that is an option, what do you think of it for our team? Here is our roster of skaters up to this point...

Alexander Ovechkin - Sergei Fedorov - Daniel Alfredsson
Paul Thompson - Jeremy Roenick - Mark Recchi
Ross Lonsberry - Don McKenney - John MacLean
John Ferguson - Jonathan Toews - __________

Jean-Guy Talbot - Serge Savard
Valeri Vasiliev - Gennady Tsygankov
Jiri Bubla - Randy Gregg

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
There's this guy named Valeri Vasiliev that is pretty good too. I'd take Vasiliev, Ragulin, Lutchenko, and maybe some others over Sologubov personally. Who did Sologubov actually beat out for those awards? Have any of them been drafted? (I don't know the answer to this).

The guy they have paired with Sologubov was his real life partner, I believe.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn

In this context, I would take a lot of Soviet defensemen over him. I'm not sure he's worse than Pervukhin, but I'm not sure he's better either. Better puck mover though, in all likelihood.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
We are looking to get some feedback on our PK units. Here is what we had in mind so far...

Fedorov - Alfredsson
Vasiliev - Savard

McKenney - Lonsberry
Talbot - Tsygankov

We are pretty set on the D, but would like some feedback on our forwards. Also, I wanted to ask if some teams go with 3 pairs of forwards for the PK or are we only suppose to have 2? If that is an option, what do you think of it for our team? Here is our roster of skaters up to this point...

Jiri Bubla - Randy Gregg

Traditionally, ATD teams use 2 sets of PKing forwards, but I always go with three, because I think it's more realistic.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Traditionally, ATD teams use 2 sets of PKing forwards, but I always go with three, because I think it's more realistic.

Teams should at least have to name an extra D and F to fill in for when one of the PKers is in the box (1st timer, maybe you guys already do this?). This could really be something to consider if a couple of a team's top PKers are guys who are known for taking a lot of penalties.

vecens24

Jun 1, 2009

I would take Vasiliev and Ragulin over him too (hell I DID take Ragulin over him). Lutchenko I see as his equal. Sologubov better offensively, Lutchenko more consistent defensively. Just because Lutchenko played in a tougher era doesn't mean that he's necessarily better. Those who saw him play called him the Russian Bobby Orr for Christ's Sake. I'm sure a lot of this had to do with their playing style being very similar, but to play that style you had to be pretty ****ing good.

Maybe in a "Soviet only" vacuum, but I think even then, most take Ragulin.

The Canadian amateur teams that beat the Soviets in the late 50s on a regular basis were probably on about the same level as Switzerland is today.

No, you can't blame him. But the problem is, what do we have to credit him with? He's a complete unknown against anything approaching NHL-level competition. I buy him as a very good bottom pairing puck mover and PP presence. I'd even buy him as a #4 puck mover if the #3 was an excellent defensive guy. But I just don't trust him to handle Gordie Howe in the corners or Maurice Richard charging towards the net.

I understand your hesitance to say that he wasn't good enough to do it. But Lynn Patrick who was GM of the Bruins at the time certainly thought they were:

There are five players on their team who can move up to the Bruins, and there's a commission of $2,500 for anyone who can get either Sologubov or Tregubov into Boston."

The guy they have paired with Sologubov was his real life partner, I believe.

Tregubov was the other Best Defenseman in the tournament in the years Sologubov wasn't. I'm still trying to find some of the guyst hey competed against in these years.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007

Fedorov - Alfredsson
Vasiliev - Savard

McKenney - Lonsberry
Talbot - Tsygankov

Jiri Bubla - Randy Gregg

My preference is to list 6 PK forwards, most NHL teams use that.

Fedorov is a great start. Alfredsson is a good option. Lonsberry is OK. Dunno about McKenney, you may know more than I do there.

Roenick, Thompson, and Maclean could all be options for you also. Roenick has always killed penalties and has been a decent SH scoring threat. Maclean was a regular penalty killer for the latter two-thirds of his career.

I read detailed accounts of the 1933-34 Cup finals while researching Johnny Gottselig, and they listed the special teams units used on several occasions. Four Hawk PKs listed the players used. Thompson and his linemate were used once, Gottselig and his linemate were used twice, and once Thompson was the sole forward for a 5-on-3. (Thompson and Gottselig were each in the box for one of the penalties where they did not play).

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->