ATD 2011 Draft Thread XI - The Aftermath

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
I really wish I could go back and re-read all of the ZM and Sabre posts.

Edit: Did BoyWonder just compare us to real life NHL Owners/GMs?

Last edited:

Rick Middleton

May 14, 2002
Ottawa, ON
I should probably come clean now that I am a sock of nik jr. My cover is that I use capital letters at the beginning of sentences. GBC was one of my socks, as well, my cover in that case being general bat**** craziness. Ah...t'was good while it lasted.

I'm Spartacus

spartacus.jpg

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
Your point?

It would be hilarious to re-read all the comments, thoughts, bashing, selections etc.. of the mentioned Gm's.

Edit: Oh you're refering to me pointing out you compared us fantasy gm's to real life paid professional General Manager/Owners of multi-million dollar National Hockey League teams...

I think it goes without saying how hilarious that comparison is.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
It would be hilarious to re-read all the comments, thoughts, bashing, selections ect.. of the mentioned Gm's.

Oh, no, I meant what was your point about me comparing us to real NHL GMs. :P I understand the comparison itself is off, but the principal behind it remains the same.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
So...back to "hockey"...can anyone tell me what our plan is for reseeding of the division winners after the conclusion of the divisional playoffs? I'm guessing the seeding will go by regular season divisional ranking with regular season total vote score as the first tiebreaker and regular season first place votes as the second tiebreaker. Does this sound about right?

I was just going to use regular season "points" as the tiebreaker. If there was a tie in that, I would go to first place votes.

Suppose the 2nd place team in one division had more points than the 1st place team in another. And they each won their division in the playoffs. I think that 2nd place team deserves a higher seeding. They'd have likely been first, and with more points too, had they not been behind such a dominant regular season team.

I'm fairly sure it's been demonstrated mathematically in the past that automatically seeding the division winners 1-2-3 in the NHL is backwards logic, if there are a couple of 2nd place teams with more points than one of the division winners.

I haven't heard any concrete plan as to how we plan on running this reseeding thing (which I think is an interesting idea, at any rate), and would like to get it nailed down before the playoffs start. One thing that concerns me somewhat - is the reseeding going to be inter-conference or intra-conference? If we just reseed all of the division winners into a single new pool, then the conferences are rendered completely irrelevant, which I think is a poor idea. I think it would be better to re-seed the division winners of one conference into a four team bracket and do the same with the other conference - with the winners of each bracket meeting in the finals. This would preserve the assumption about the meaning of the conferences that most of us made at the beginning of the draft while allowing for re-seeding after the divisional round.

The plan was for the reseeding to be done league-wide, but we can talk about it, too.

I don't see a big deal, personally. If they were conferences in name only, that would be fine with me. If this bothers someone else they should speak up.

I'm gonna be honest, I think the effects of VI's presence in these other ATDs were more profound than you are suggesting. Looking at least at his ATD 2010 team, there are some players there that could have really helped others in their quest for a championship, certainly some of the depth players at least. Those ATDs would have went completely different.

Yes, things would have gone differently.

But VI would have been in the draft either way - he'd still be taking players other teams want. That's what GMs do.

With all that, I don't have time to send my votes today, is it okay if I do so in 20 hours?

Yep.

Then so be it. If we go back to twenty teams, we won't have to discuss Pierre Turgeon anymore.

...or maybe we will!

I should probably come clean now that I am a sock of nik jr. My cover is that I use capital letters at the beginning of sentences. GBC was one of my socks, as well, my cover in that case being general bat**** craziness. Ah...t'was good while it lasted.

and you were doing so well...

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
My biggest ZM memory is him throwing a fit that I would "assassinate me already?" when I told him his guy Jagr was more than just a goal scorer.

Then he met the team with Ted Lindsay in the playoffs. And I remember VI going on about how Lindsay would win the matchup, while I was the lone Jagr defender. Bizarro-world.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I'm cleared of being a puppet after I picked Drew Doughty in the MLD last year and VI got mad at me for it.

I honestly don't think it was that bad a pick. I mean, it was kind of a bad pick, but not bad enough to be worth remembering like Hedberg's Svatos pick a few years back.

I cringed whenever VI mentioned him this draft because I really don't think he was a bad enough pick to freely violate the undrafted player rule.

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
Maybe VI wanted to hold an internet argument with himself? I guess you really never know?!?! :sarcasm:

To this day, I still believe Doughty had the highest peak of any defenseman available at that point. I've been on the Flyers board and FA games forever, and Velociraptor can vouch for me, I'm in a fantasy league with him.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Maybe next time we should just do it with the number of people who really want to do it instead of just trying to expand the league like we're Gary Bettman.

Also , even if I know my opinion doesn't have as much weight as other vet GMs , this guy is like a traitor , especially to those that did past ATDs without knowing.We have NO indication that he was going to stop anytime soon before the mods caught him , and letting him participate like nothing happened is just sending a wrong message that this is not the end of the world and encouraging people to do it again , like for example a 19 years old with divorced parents that live in both houses who could easily reproduce that , and I'm sure hfboards is not lacking in 19 years old in this situation.

If I understood correctly , the guy was actually the commissionner while doing this? So basically he was the law and he overrule his own laws for his own agenda? This is pathetic. ( dictator is the word I think , no joke , it might be the definition but I'm not 100% sure )

Worst part is he's coming here playing the ''victim that has given to the community and made this for the good of the ATD'' card and some people are buying into it.

We already lost Mr Bugg and who knows who's gonna get tired of doing this.It feels like a school yard ( elementary school ).

Does VanI deserve that we lose some other GMs for him after his narcissistic powertrip? That's my question.

Last edited:

Derick*

I'm cleared of being a puppet because I am incredibly intelligent and it's clear no one else on these boards, including VI, would have the intellectual capacity to produce my posts.

Also, why would I partner with myself to make a team just to split up? Kind of a waste.

vecens24

Jun 1, 2009
Lol I work for 11 hours yesterday and have homework and exams to do today, and I miss all this hilarity! What the hell!

Anyone who can't see the humor in this pretty much needs to get off the internet more often. Part of me thinks its funny that VanI has this much time on his hands, part of me thinks its extraordinarily sad. It's hilarious though nonetheless.

As far as punishment, defintiely discount the votes and ban him from voting in the future. I have zero issue with keeping the teams here personally. I think there will be a negative sentiment towards them anyway at this point after this and they will probably be eliminated faster than they would have otherwise. So completely eliminating the teams solves nothing. I would hope we (as mods 70s and if Modo and Dave participate again) check IPs a touch more rigourously so this doesnt happen again. But as a one time thing its funny for certain.

After seeing what Billy said, I'm honestly surprised no one picked up on this. Had this not been my first rodeo that's something I defintiely would have thought about lol. You know, I never really like Sabre this draft. I thought he was douchey, condescending, and rude, especially to 70s with the time thing. I see this was mostly a made up thing because I've never thoguht that about VanI. So maybe the personality difference threw people off, but no one can be as douchey as Sabre was seriously I don't think.

Defintely shouldn't be any decisions made in haste. No reason to decide before the end of the draft what to do about this. Right now, I'd think banning him is a good idea just to make sure it doesn't happen again, but I feel like that's probably rash. Either way, thanks for the entertainment value of reading this VanI.

Derick*

Pic's or you're all VI accounts.

:scared:

How does any one of us know if the whole ATD is just a crazy mind game where every person is VI except ourself?

Maybe he has SPD and I am him and am only forgetting it because I'm in this character now! :scared:

Stoneberg

Bored
Nov 10, 2005
Halifax
This reminds me of a post The Sabre made with respect to the quality of the draft that ticked me off a bit in the sign up thread.
The Sabre said:
Nothing is clear. The well run drafts don't have politics. I'm out.

In the end VI really only drafted with one team and made replacement picks for two other legit but unloyal gm's (Nighthawks and Thatguy17). I only got votes from The Sabre so I don't think this would have hevily influenced the voting anyway (Of course I will disregard the votes anyway). The more I think about the whole situation, the less it bothers me though.

vecens24

Jun 1, 2009
Vecens, what did Billy say that you found revealing?

Him always saying the newest Pirate is....

That's totlaly something I would have noticed from a guy who has been here for years doing multiple drafts lol. (EDIT: Don't mean to make myself sound like an observant dickhole)

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Yeah. IIRC, The Sabre was the first of several GMs to leave and basically encouraged other rookie GMs to do so.

To me, that was the douchiest part of this all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad