ATD 2011 Draft Thread IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
A high-end defensive guy in the MLD, but even in the MLD he's poor offensively.

0.33 adj. ESPPG (refer to that list of other checking forwards I posted last thread - Draper has averaged 0.34 for nearly twice as many games)

But a pretty good value at this point. I don't know much about him other than offense and defense - haven't researched him heavily.

Why did you ask me in particular what I thought?

Nope, he pasted in truncated links. It was likely from an older hfboards post. to get the whole link you have to quote the post so you can copy the whole thing. Or, click "copy shortcut" on the highlighted link as it was posted prior.

I Pm'd Stoneberg my write up, and when I posted that I copied and pasted what I sent him so the articles I found on Meagher must not of copied properly. Those were all first found by me (See previous post). I asked because I noticed last MLD you think he has a better Selke voting than Ricci, and he was really never noted for his shadowing abilities. Yes I know he won't bring offense but with the proof I found of him being able to successfully shadow Lemieux, Gretzky, Savard etc... He will be very valuable come playoff time to match up against opponents top scorers.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
While Markov is very good on the PP, I would expect the best PP QB in league to lead Montreal defensemen in PP Pts more than twice in a decade.

ahah couple of habs dman got big contract thanks to Markov.
this is because markov got them lots of points , everytime markov makes a big play normall the dman has touched t he puck and then markov got hurt and the dman got a couple more points.

xxx is a good example of powerplay point because of markov , he was nothing special.Just taking shots.
funny that every point man that played with arkov managed to score lots of gaols , because markov was able to put them in a good position to shoot because others had to watch him and get close to him.

xxx is an example of getting big contract at even strenght because of markov.

Last edited:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
if you want , but Lidstrom have a lot of better forwards on the PP than Markov , not to mention Rafalski.And Markov is injured and can't defend himself against Lidstrom this season.

When kovalev's head is in the game, he was a better pp player than datsyuk or zetterberg.

Detroit really doesn't have great pp forwards other than holmstrom, who is great at exactly one thing. Anyway, it's impossible to compare their team situations without mentioning undrafteds.

While Markov is very good on the PP, I would expect the best PP QB in league to lead Montreal defensemen in PP Pts more than twice in a decade.

Ouch! Has lidstrom ever finished behind rafalski in pp points?

Last edited by a moderator:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Ouch! Has lidstrom ever finished behind rafalski in pp points?

cmon , dont play smart people , read my post above.

Markov had 5 or 6 point man taking shot , and they were all successful.Even a 40-41 years old or something Schneider out of atlanta came and started scoring at a ridiculous pace compare to when he was in atlanta.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
He's a good coach, definitely worthy of being a starter in a 40 team league. I think that there is a good case that he's better than Billy reay, and not just because he won the Cup.

But I'm not sure what he brings as an assistant. It'll be interesting to see what role he takes for your team.

He may end up ening head coach.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
cmon , dont play smart people , read my post above.

Markov had 5 or 6 point man taking shot , and they were all successful.Even a 40-41 years old or something Schneider out of atlanta came and started scoring at a ridiculous pace compare to when he was in atlanta.

Montreal has had really good pointmen playing next to markov.

For ****s sake reen, edit the undrafteds out of your post.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Talking about Markov's defenseman partner on the PP , only one of those had a ''legit'' good powerplay year , he's playing in the minors at the moment.Markov sure was a reason for his success but I will give him that he was pretty good by himself ( the undrafted )

of were they good pointmen because of markov?

except one with a crazy slap shot , i think it was the case.

no mattert he points total of those Dman it's pointless , Markov was the quarterback and controlled everythign except when Kovalev had the puck.The other dman were easily replaced , while Markov can't be.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
I more or less agree with Reen about Markov. Montreal and Detroit have been the class of the league on the PP since the lockout.

Plyers come and go in Montreal, but the PP keeps on rolling - except when Markov is hurt.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
sorry about the skipped picks. my dad broke my computer for a while.

Jokerit select C/LW Chris Drury and RW/D Barney Stanley.

Dwight

The French Tickler
Jul 8, 2006
West Island

yes, and even after they leave, Montreal's powerplay continued to thrive. It honestly didn't matter too much who was playing with Markov, because he made them look better. Obviously, they all had great shots from the point, but Markov's great passing made everything happen.

Aside form Kovalev, who usually played along the boards on the PP, I don't see any big name forwards that were near the net that could explain Montreal's PP success. It really was majorly because of Markov.

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
LW Don Maloney

dandonmaloney.jpg

2x NHL All Star Game Participant
2x Top 12 All Star LW (12, 12)[one vote]
1x 15th Selke Voting[one vote]
1x 18th in Assists
1x 4th in Playoff Goals
1x 1st in Playoff Assists
1x 3rd in Playoff Points
1x World Championship Silver Medalist
1x NHL All Star Game MVP
3x Rangers "Players' Player" Award Winner
26th on list of Greatest Rangers in "100 Ranger Greats"
During peak, 1979-80 to 1983-84: 5th in assists among LW

Once he arrived, Don took the Big Apple by storm. He finished the 1978-79 season in the NHL, making a big impression on "The Mafia Line" with xxx on right wing and the legendary Phil Esposito at center. The line drew it's nickname from the reference of a Godfather (Espo) and two "Dons."

In 28 games Don tallied 9 goals and 26 points, and added another 7 goals and 20 points in 18 games during a lengthy post season run that saw the Rangers reach the Stanley Cup finals.

Esposito raved about his new found winger, comparing him favorably to an old friend from Boston.

"He's like (Wayne) Cashman to me. He gets the puck out of the corner. It's been a long time since I didn't have to help out in that respect."

Coach Fred Shero compared him to another great from the past.

"His scoring is a bonus. He's a bumper and a grinder. He reminds me of Bert Olmstead, the great left winger on the Montreal Canadiens power play two decades ago."

Maloney would not suffer the same fate. He was an honest, hard working kid from small town Canada, and that never changed about him. He would enjoy enormous personal success in New York, though he was never singled out as a star.

That was fine by him, as he was more than happy to be a great support player. In 1980, at the young age of 22, he was named as the Rangers' team captain. He would play in the 1983 and 1984 NHL All Star games, surprising everyone by earning game MVP status in '84. He would also help Canada win a silver medal at his lone World Championship tournament in 1985.

Maloney's unforgiving physical play took it's toll on him over the years. In one memorable collision with New Jersey defender xxx, Maloney broke his leg and ankle as well as suffering ligament damage. He would miss most of the 1984-85 season recovering.

http://nyrangerslegends.blogspot.com/2008/01/don-maloney.html

Left-winger Don Maloney was a splendid offensive player who could also check and kill penalties. His versatility and work ethic served him well in a career that lasted nearly 800 games and spanned three decades.

Born in Lindsay, Ontario, Maloney was a junior standout with the OHA's Kitchener Rangers. After scoring 104 points for the club in 1977-78, he was claimed 26th overall by the New York Rangers at the Amateur Draft. He adjusted quickly to the pros by recording 44 points in 38 games for the AHL's New Haven Nighthawks. Partway through the season, Maloney was recalled to Manhattan and averaged nearly a point per game in 28 matches. He also led all playoff performers with 13 assists while joining his brother, Dave, in helping the Rangers reach the Stanley Cup finals.

Beginning in 1979-80, Maloney registered five straight 20-goal seasons in New York. He often worked well with linemates Phil Esposito and xxx and notched a personal-high 29-goal season in 1980-81 and 1982-83. The crafty forward also took part in the 1983 and 1984 NHL All-Star Games, winning the MVP award at the latter at the Meadowlands Arena. After an injury-plagued season in 1984-85, the classy veteran helped Canada win the silver medal at the World Championships. The next year, he rebounded with an outstanding defensive performance and helped the Rangers reach the Prince of Wales Conference finals.

Late in his career, the Rangers decided to make changes and sent Maloney to the Hartford Whalers. He played the last 21 games of the 1988-89 season and the first round playoff loss to the Montreal Canadiens before signing with the New York Islanders as a free agent. Maloney scored 16 goals and provided leadership and playmaking savvy to the young squad before retiring in 1990-91.

http://www.legendsofhockey.net/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayer.jsp?player=13505

A versatile, hard-working left wing, the 20-year-old Maloney led all playoff scorers in 1979 with 13 assists and scored a then-rookie record 20 points in 18 postseason games as the Rangers upset the favored Islanders to reach the Stanley Cup Final. Unfortunately for the Rangers, they fell to defending three-time Cup champion Montreal in five games.

http://www.sikids.com/photos/4257/nhl-rookie-playoff-sensations/10

He was the key to the Rangers' brilliant run to the Stanley Cup Finals that year, scoring 20 points in the playoffs, then a record for a rookie. He was the MVP of the 1983 All Star Game in New Jersey, and scored a memorable playoff goal in the final minute of regulation time against the Islanders in 1984.

http://books.google.com/books?id=i7...AEwAg#v=onepage&q=don maloney rangers&f=false

New York's stars were Phil Esposito, Don Maloney, Ron Greschner, xxx, xxx, and two fast skating Swedes, Ulf Nilsson and Anders Hedberg.

http://books.google.com/books?id=L8...AEwBw#v=onepage&q=don maloney rangers&f=false

"That really fit into what my style was - picking up and finding pucks."

Despite the disappointment of coming up short in the finals, Maloney came back in the fall for his first full NHL season and picked up right where he left off - giving the Rangers consistent scoring and effort. He topped the 20 goal mark in each of his first 5 seasons, twice scoring as many as 29. He was selected to play in the All Star Game in 1982-1983 and scored a goal for the Wales Conference at Nassau Coliseum. One year later, he became the first Ranger to be named MVP of the All Star Game, when he had a goal and three assists in the Wales Conferences' 7-6 victory at the New Jersey Meadowlands.

http://books.google.com/books?id=1w...6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=don maloney hockey&f=false

A rookie named Don Maloney was playing like a veteran on a line with Espo and xxx

http://www.google.com/search?q=don+...=N&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=84abe16c47dde074

The bruises and gashes of a long campaign show on hsi face and body, but for Don Maloney, they might as well not exist. He's on top of the world.

More important, the tough left winger has been playing one a line with veteran centre Phil Esposito and right winger xxx that has been the Rangers' big-scoring trio.

While Maloney and xxx slug it out in heavy traffic in the corners...

http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...AAAAIBAJ&pg=5927,5100139&dq=don+maloney&hl=en

Don Maloney knows all about work ethic.

"Some nights you work, work, work," he said, "and you never get anything. But sometimes, when it comes together, everything goes right."

http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...MNAAAAIBAJ&pg=1277,63421&dq=don+maloney&hl=en

It was Don Maloney, not Wayne Gretzky, who who shined on the ice in the NHL's 36th annual all star game here Tuesday night.

Maloney, 23, a left winger for the New York Rangers, was the focus of attention.

Maloney tied a record for most points in an all star game, scoring a goal and three assists to lead the Wales conference to a 7-6 victory over the Campbell Conference. Maloney was named the game's most valuable player.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...EAAAAIBAJ&pg=2047,116518&dq=don+maloney&hl=en

Don Maloney and xxx, the main sparkplugs in a pair of stunning comebacks by the New York Rangers this weekend,

http://www.google.com/search?q=don+...=N&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=a04044cde7da87f6

Last edited:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Yes, markov is one of the best in the league on the pp for sure. That's not in dispute.

Nalyd asked to be AUTOSKIPPED if his guy was taken, and he was. HHH is on the clock and Nalyd is not penalized.

I think with these new found articles, Meagher is one of the top 5 Pure Shadows of All-Time.

Wanted to respond 'lol' but apparently that was too short.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007

Top two forwards on my lst. Nice.

I had Stanley before but would have liked to research him again with more old papers available now.

Leafs Forever

Jul 14, 2009
I think with these new found articles, Meagher is one of the top 5 Pure Shadows of All-Time.

His selke record, though solid, kind of contradicts that. Though saying "shadow" kind of masks it, it's basically calling him one of the best defensive players ever, which he isn't close to.

Last edited:

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
Top two forwards on my lst. Nice.

I had Stanley before but would have liked to research him again with more old papers available now.
i had to pick very quickly, but i like both.

imo, drury was one of the better PK F's in the NHL with buffalo and especially NYR. good on faceoffs, right handed shot, could play C and W, and was very good in playoffs. also played with forsberg. i hated him when he played for colorado, though (and forsberg).

i am not sure why barney stanley was inducted into HHOF in 1962, but there must be some reason. it is not obvious from stats, or his HHOF biography. he was huge for his time and played D, so he is probably a good bottom 6 F, but i would need to read more to be sure.

anyone know why barney stanley was inducted?

drury was apparently only the 3rd player named chris to be picked (chelios and pronger), and stanley was the 1st player named barney to be picked.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
i had to pick very quickly, but i like both.

imo, drury was one of the better PK F's in the NHL with buffalo and especially NYR. good on faceoffs, right handed shot, could play C and W, and was very good in playoffs. also played with forsberg. i hated him when he played for colorado, though (and forsberg).

i am not sure why barney stanley was inducted into HHOF in 1962, but there must be some reason. it is not obvious from stats, or his HHOF biography. he was huge for his time and played D, so he is probably a good bottom 6 F, but i would need to read more to be sure.

drury was apparently only the 3rd player named chris to be picked (chelios and pronger), and stanley was the 1st player named barney to be picked.

I assumed Stanley's selling point for the HHOF was 4 goals in Stanley Cup game. But there may be more.

I saw some references to Stanley playing C while researching other players. Definitely a versatile player.

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
ahah couple of habs dman got big contract thanks to Markov.
this is because markov got them lots of points , everytime markov makes a big play normall the dman has touched t he puck and then markov got hurt and the dman got a couple more points.

Streit is a good example of powerplay point because of markov , he was nothing special.Just taking shots.
funny that every point man that played with arkov managed to score lots of gaols , because markov was able to put them in a good position to shoot because others had to watch him and get close to him.

Komisarek is an example of getting big contract at even strenght because of markov.

( i know they are undrafted but they probably wont get drafted , at least I hope so )

Here is Markov's PP production. Bold marks where he led team D in a category, the number in brackets is how far behind the team leading D he was. GP is compared to highest or next highest D in PP Pts. Schneider was 2nd with 14 PP Pts in 23 games in 08-09.
Season|GP|PP G|PP A| PP Pts
00-01|63(-14)|2 (-9)|14(-3)|16(-12)
01-02|56(-15)| 2 (0)|7(-5)|9(-5)
02-03|79(+6)| 3 (0)|12(-6)|15(-4)
03-04|69(+6)|2(-4)|8(-3)|10(-7)
05-06|67(-8)|6(-1)| 18 (+4)| 24 (+3)
06-07|77(-4)|5(-14)|27(-2)|32(-16)
07-08|82(+1)| 10 (+3)|22(-5)|32(-2)
08-09|78(+55)| 7 (+2)| 32 (+23)| 39 (+25)
09-10|45(-15)|4(-3)|12(-3)|16(-6)

Really only one great season for Markov, and that was as much because no other D did much of anything until Schneider arrived. The #3 D only had 7 PP Pts in 62 games in 08-09.

Stanley was a strong leader, being a captain and coach even before turning pro in the PCHA. He was a key player in the forming of the Alberta Big 4 which went on to become the WCHL.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
thanks, BM67 and overpass

i forgot to ask, anyone know which position stanley played in each season?

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Hhh had a one hour clock and is skipped. Johnny an Reds are up and have been notified. Then advantage has 1hour, nighthawks is auto skipped, and BC is up.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK

Ooh, both good picks.

No, I certainly think he was a weaker inductee and his scoring stats, while decent (and excellent for one season) had to be helped somewhat by Taylor, too.

Stanley does get taken in the correct "order" for pre-merger forwards though, so I am happy with that.

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
Bored at work and was looking for some responses regarding Meagher, obviously I dont feel he is top 5, but he will be effective.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Seems like Stanley was inducted largely for his contributions off ice in helping to start the wchl. Quite a few of the 1962 inductees got in for off ice stuff

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad