ATD 2011 Draft Thread IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
Montreal Canadiens are extremely proud to select one of ReenMachine's favorite player Alex Kovalev RW

26673.jpg

Kovalev can play the point on the powerplay as well as the right wing and is a very good powerplay player , he's got a good playoff resume and good size.His enormous talent can also occassionaly take over games all by himself even at this level , which is rare in a 4th liner.

I will do a good Kovalev bio.

Good pick Reen, a guy I've debated taking for a few rounds. Just doesn't have the defense (like Amonte) that I needed for the third line.

papershoes was autoskipped, and Nik jr has a 1 hour clock. I'll be able to pick before I go to work.... barely! :handclap:

nik is auto-skipped, Dreak.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Kovalev was 3rd of the 4 guys I said were the BOPA when smith was taken. I would have found it really hard to resist taking him on one of my next 4. He's a flake, but if anyone could afford a flake, it's regina.

Yeah.... I would have been forced to take him with this pick. Now I need to think for the next 5 minutes!

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Battle Creek will pick a guy who's had some injury trouble lately, but when healthy, he is (IMO) the best PP quarterback in the NHL today.

Andrei Markov, D

There no way he's the best pp qb in the league today, but he's very good. He should be selected ahead of kaberle.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
The San Jose Sharks select ****ing John Tortorella as their coach.

I don't know why he's never taken.

torts.jpg

- Jack Adams
- Cup
- American-born coach with most wins in history

He's never taken because it's not hard to find coaches with 2-3 years of great success in a sport this old.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Good pick Reen, a guy I've debated taking for a few rounds. Just doesn't have the defense (like Amonte) that I needed for the third line.

thanks , personally , the way my team is built , the 3rd line isn't really the 3rd line ( berlinquette-kasper-foligno ) more like ''the defensive line'' on a team with 3 offensive lines.

It's more like

1st offensive line ( gretzky )
2nd offensive line ( savard )
3rd offensive line ( kovalev )
Defensive line ( kasper )

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
There no way he's the best pp qb in the league today, but he's very good. He should be selected ahead of kaberle.

I'm sorry?

He is.He quarterbacked the 1st PP in the league 3 times and he's just better than everybody else at it.Markov on the PP is something else.And no , it's not habs fan overrating their player , Markov is truly the best there.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I'm sorry?

He is.He quarterbacked the 1st PP in the league 3 times and he's just better than everybody else at it.Markov on the PP is something else.And no , it's not habs fan overrating their player , Markov is truly the best there.

Better than Lidstrom, Pronger, and a couple undrafteds (I think) is extremely debatable.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I'm sorry?

If true, that makes me much less of a fan of the kovalev pick. :)

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
What's fun with Kovalev is that if your other RWers are not having a good night and he is , he's capable of playing with the best on the 1st line.Kovalev on a good night is an extremly strong player.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
seventieslord said:
Who'd have thought, the last 1000-point scorer left (for a long time, too!) Would be not a 1980s center, but a dead puck era winger? Solid pick. And he can play the point too.

To be fair, kovalev spent much of his prime on a penguins team that played like it was still the 1980s. :)

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
If true, that makes me much less of a fan of the kovalev pick. :)

shouldn't be , they were both great PP players , and none was the product of the other , but Kovalev also had a year off out of 4 in Montreal but Markov didn't.

When they were both on fire , particularly in 07-08 , they were easily both top 5 powerplay player in the league , which is why I miss it so much.

It was something like that when they were both on:

xxx-xxx-Kovalev along the right wing board
Markov-defenseman with decent shot

they had this crazy thing going on with Markov coming in close to the slot then passing to kovalev or taking a shot , or kovalev controlling the game on the board and shooting or passing to Markov coming into the slot , worked everytime.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Better than Lidstrom, Pronger, and a couple undrafteds (I think) is extremely debatable.

I have Lidstrom on my team and there's no way Lidstrom is a better powerplay quarterback than Markov , Pronger would be laughable to think , Markov was born to quarterback powerplay I tell you , not even exagerating.He's criminally underrated in this particular area.It's like he's got the hockey powerplay game figured out.

I'm not trying to dismiss the other players I just honestly think Markov is the best.

Now of course, this is teh ATD and career and longevity matters so not trying to say he's better in the ATD , but in real life for the past 5 or 6 years he was the best imo.His game is more suited for this area than the other players you named and any undrafted.I think he's got more options than them on the PP with the puck.He's also more deceptive.

Last edited:

Dwight

The French Tickler
Jul 8, 2006
West Island
Is Markov a better defenseman than Pronger and Lidstrom? Absolutely not

However, he is probably the first defenseman I'd take on the PP in the league today. As Reen said, he is a big, big reason why Montreal's PP had been 1st in the league several seasons in a row. He sees the ice so well, and his passes are, at times, unbelievable. He's not bad at all defensively either, but the powerplay is truly his bread and butter.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
What are your thoughts on Meagher Seventies?

A high-end defensive guy in the MLD, but even in the MLD he's poor offensively.

0.33 adj. ESPPG (refer to that list of other checking forwards I posted last thread - Draper has averaged 0.34 for nearly twice as many games)

But a pretty good value at this point. I don't know much about him other than offense and defense - haven't researched him heavily.

Why did you ask me in particular what I thought?

Do those links work for anyone else?

Nope, he pasted in truncated links. It was likely from an older hfboards post. to get the whole link you have to quote the post so you can copy the whole thing. Or, click "copy shortcut" on the highlighted link as it was posted prior.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
To finish off my coaching duo, we'll take Rudy Pilous.

Somebody PM next GM please.... I'm out the door!

He's a good coach, definitely worthy of being a starter in a 40 team league. I think that there is a good case that he's better than Billy reay, and not just because he won the Cup.

But I'm not sure what he brings as an assistant. It'll be interesting to see what role he takes for your team.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Lidstrom is going to win the Norris trophy this season largely due to his powerplay offense - yeah... I'll take even aging lidstrom over markov on the powerplay.

And of course there are undrafteds.

Anyway, don't get me wrong. Markov is a fine pick here. Now that i thinkn about it, I don't think he's necessarily worse than 80s PP guys like reinhart and persson who always get drafted long before him.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Lidstrom is going to win the Norris trophy this season largely due to his powerplay offense - yeah... I'll take even aging lidstrom over markov on the powerplay.

And of course there are undrafteds.

Anyway, don't get me wrong. Markov is a fine pick here. Now that i thinkn about it, I don't think he's necessarily worse than 80s PP guys like reinhart and persson who always get drafted long before him.

if you want , but Lidstrom have a lot of better forwards on the PP than Markov , not to mention Rafalski.And Markov is injured and can't defend himself against Lidstrom this season.

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
I have Lidstrom on my team and there's no way Lidstrom is a better powerplay quarterback than Markov , Pronger would be laughable to think , Markov was born to quarterback powerplay I tell you , not even exagerating.He's criminally underrated in this particular area.It's like he's got the hockey powerplay game figured out.

I'm not trying to dismiss the other players I just honestly think Markov is the best.

Now of course, this is teh ATD and career and longevity matters so not trying to say he's better in the ATD , but in real life for the past 5 or 6 years he was the best imo.His game is more suited for this area than the other players you named and any undrafted.I think he's got more options than them on the PP with the puck.He's also more deceptive.

While Markov is very good on the PP, I would expect the best PP QB in league to lead Montreal defensemen in PP Pts more than twice in a decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad