ATD 2011 Draft Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
Canon = bad. We should challenge it every chance we get.

Otherwise, why are we here? the best players of all-time, in order, are pretty much already decided.

I thought BraveCanadian's point was well said. When dealing with players about whom information is limited, the judgement of history should play a part. We shouldn't just throw it all out and go with the limited information.

The more and better information you have, the more confident you can be about going against canon. But the farther back in history we go, the less information we have.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I thought BraveCanadian's point was well said. When dealing with players about whom information is limited, the judgement of history should play a part. We shouldn't just throw it all out and go with the limited information.

The more and better information you have, the more confident you can be about going against canon. But the farther back in history we go, the less information we have.

Look what happened with Henri Richard. A bunch of us started to wonder, based on statistical dominance, if he was really that good. After even more statistical info was produced, to a degree that had never been seen before, there was a shift back to the "original" canon. Which is fine - the statistics were used to challenge the canon - and first refuted it, and then confirmed it.

As it applies to my most famous anti-canon argument, which he was no doubt referring to, I have yet to see any statistics that confirm canon, aside from Stanley Cups and Selke trophies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad