ATD #10 - Bob Cole Final - Detroit Falcons (1) vs. Toronto Marlboros (5)

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Detroit Falcons
GM: EagleBelfour
Coach: Dick Irvin Sr.

Valeri Kharlamov - Vladimir Petrov - Boris Mikhailov (C)
Vic Hadfield (A) - Jean Ratelle - Rod Gilbert
Joe Klukay - Ralph Backstrom - Blair Russel
Harry Westwick - Pit Lepine - Mike Foligno
extras: Dan Bain - Lynn Patrick

Guy Lapointe - Ken Reardon
Doug Mohns (A) - Ken Morrow
Jim Neilson - Reijo Ruotsalainen
extra: Ivan Tregubov

Jacques Plante
Percy LeSueur

Power play units:
PP1: Valeri Kharlamov - Vladimir Petrov - Boris Mikhailov - Guy Lapointe - Doug Mohns
PP2: Vic Hadfield - Jean Ratelle - Rod Gilbert - Ken Reardon - Reijo Ruotsalainen

Penalty killing units:
PK1: Ralph Backstrom - Joe Klukay - Kenneth Reardon - Ken Morrow
PK2: Vladimir Petrov - Boris Mikhailov - Guy Lapointe - Harry Westwick

Toronto Marlboros
GM: Leopold Stotch
Coach: Harry Sinden

Dickie Moore - Milt Schmidt (A) - Gordie Drillon
Markus Naslund - Ron Francis (C) - Tim Kerr
Kirk Muller - Troy Murray - Frank Finnigan
Thomas Steen - Bobby Carpenter - Daniel Alfredsson
extras: Alexei Kovalev, Louis Berlinquette

Doug Harvey (A) - Gary Suter
Phil Housley - Tom Johnson
Steve Smith - Bill Barilko
extra: Hobey Baker

George Hainsworth
J-S Giguere

Power play units:
PP1: Moore - Schmidt - Kerr - Harvey - Housley
PP2: Drillon - Francis - Alfredsson - Suter - Johnson

Penalty killing units:
PK1: Schmidt - Finnigan - D - D
PK2: Muller - Murray - D - D

(I'm assuming that Harvey is on the first pairing, and three of Johnson, Smith, Barilko and Suter would occupy the other spots.​

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I'll admit that this Toronto team is starting to grow on me. The last team that grew on me like this was kruezer's entry in ATD 7. (He came within a win of winning the whole damn thing).

I didn't think Leo would beat pappy. But he did. And he deserved to. I said it was a big upset. It was an upset, but not as big as I thought.

I'm guessing we'll see the Harvey duo matched up against the Kharlamov line (should be fun to watch), and Smith and Barilko (I re-iterate - one of the best third pairings in the draft) against Ratelle's line.

As for Detroit, they don't have that elite, all-time top-10 or 15 defensive defenceman. But they do have Kenny Reardon and Doug Mohns on separate pairings, and both guys can play against an opponent's top line.

They do have one of the best defensive centres in the draft in Backstrom, but you don't want to get too caught up in line-matching. If you do, then Backstrom suddenly eats up way too much ice time.

And that is an advantage for Toronto. Detroit will have to put some focus on line-matching. Petrov should be okay out there against Francis and Schmidt, but his defensive play is not in the same ball park as Schmidt and Francis. (I think Schmidt's the best defensive forward in this series. Period). But you don't want Ratelle out there in that role. But Toronto can put Schmidt and Francis out there against Petrov's line or Ratelle's line. (Even if Drillon and Naslund aren't strong defensively). Toronto won't have to worry about line-matching. Detroit might.

A definite edge to Detroit in net. Not as big as Winnipeg vs. Kenora, but it is a definite edge. The question is, how much of a difference do you get between Plante and Hainsworth. Plante's the best goalie ever, but Hainsworth's capable of stealing a game or two, too. Hainsworth's another polarizing guy because much of his legacy was built before 1929, but he's still a credible No. 1.

And give Detroit an edge behind the bench. Irvin's in that elite class of coaches. Sinden is not.

But in the end, I think what it comes down to is how Detroit will handle that top line in Toronto, and whether they put too much emphasis on line-matching.

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
Extremely good analysm GBC and I'll be honest: That Malboros team is growing on me too :P I had a plan in mind against the Bisons, but right now I don't have anything clear in mind against the Malboros. The key for winning is definitely to stop that first line and especially the Moore-Schmidt duo. I'm not a big fan of Malboros second line, but I'll give credit to a well builted third line.

I'll think about hte matchup and give my thoughts tonight or tomorrow. As GBC said, I don't think it will be ideal to matchup my third against his first, because I could see that first line playing over 20 minutes.

Right off the bat, I'll say the secondary scoring, Jacques Plante and Dick Irvin Sr are the guys that will win it for me.

Anyway, good luck Leopold!

EDIT: Already 13 games in two series, how are guys like Dickie Moore, Georges Hainsworth and Tim Kerr feeling? I think it's an honest question to ask at that point in the playoff.

Last edited:

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Actually, I think the Marlies have excellent secondary scoring. Guys like Francis, Naslund and Kerr are all good enough to be first line players, but within the context of an ATD, they're better off as second line guys, all for different reasons. But if you try to key on their first line too much, their second line will hurt you.

Kirk Muller's a very strong third line LW who topped a point-per-game three times. Murray's 99-point season was an anomaly, but he had several seasons in the 50-70 point range. Finnigan had some good seasons post-26.

Toronto can also trot out a productive fourth line with Steen (who topped a point-per-game five times) and Alfredsson. We all know what Alfie is capable of offensively.

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
Actually, I think the Marlies have excellent secondary scoring. Guys like Francis, Naslund and Kerr are all good enough to be first line players, but within the context of an ATD, they're better off as second line guys, all for different reasons. But if you try to key on their first line too much, their second line will hurt you.

Kirk Muller's a very strong third line LW who topped a point-per-game three times. Murray's 99-point season was an anomaly, but he had several seasons in the 50-70 point range. Finnigan had some good seasons post-26.

Toronto can also trot out a productive fourth line with Steen (who topped a point-per-game five times) and Alfredsson. We all know what Alfie is capable of offensively.

There secondary scoring isn't inapt, but I strongly feel I have an edge on that part.

I don't know how you can't hurt your team by having a guy like Markus Naslund on a first line in a ATD context. A 3-years peak with a Hart nomination. Even for a left-winger, it's far from enough to be a first line winger. He also dosn't add much more than a one-way offensive game.

Tim Kerr was a very good offensive threat with some grit, but you have to wonder when his injury plagued career will hurt him. Already a full-season under his belt + 13 games in two series in the playoffs where he faced Chris Chelios, Marcel Pronovost, Sid Abel, Stan Mikita, Orlan Kurtenbach, Black Jack Stewart, Tim Horton and Carl Brewer ... You've got to wonder if he can be as effective as an 100% healthy Tim Kerr could be. I don't see how you can give him full credit at this point in the playoff. (He's facing Vic Hadfield, Joe Klukay, Harry Westwick, Mike Foligno, Kenny Reardon and Guy Lapointe this time around)

Everyone can see the benefit of having all-stars like Jean Ratelle and Rod Gilbert on a 2nd line, two guys who are definitely worthy of first line consideration. Muller can add good offensive production on a third line, no doubt, but a guy like Ralph Backstrom is definitely more effective on both end of the ice. A tremendous two-way player who like a guy like Claude Provost, got hurt playing on the famous dynasty Canadiens. Joe Klukay and Blair Russell were also potent secondary offensive threat. May I add also 8-time 25 goals scorer Mike Foligno and a guy like Pit Lépine, a very complete player who was shadowed by the great great Howie Morenz.

Something we havn't talked yet. I'm just picturing it. A guy like Gordie Drillon or Phil Housley taking a hooking penalty on Valeri Kharlamov, because they have no idea how to stop the Army line. My first powerplay unit is on the ice: Kharlamov-Petrov-Mikhailov, one of the strongest trio of the last 40 years. You have Guy Lapointe and Doug Mohns at defense, two wizard on the PP with cannon shot (I mean, two of the greatest PP shot of their respective ERA). I'm not dissing Milt Schmidt or Doug Harvey(far from that, they play in this serie because of them), but you have to wonder if Georges Hainsworth will be able to stop continuously. And to that, if they stop the first offensive threat, he'll have to face the GAG line with Kenny Reardon, the hardest shot of the 40's and offensive threat Ruotsailainen ... Good luck with that.

On the other side, I have two of the greatest penalty killer of all-time in Bakcstrom and Klukay (together on the first unit), Harry Westwick (the best PK guy of the 1910's) and extrmely good PK guys like Petrov, Morrow, Reardon, Mikhailov and obviously Lapointe.

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
I present you the newest third line of the Detroit Falcons:

''THE FANTASTIC THREE''

thefantasticfourka6.jpg

Joe Klukay - Ralph Backstrom - Blair Russel

-------------------------------------------------

Joe "The Thing" Klukay:

thing.jpg

6'0 feets, 185 pounds. Shoot: Left

Stanley Cup Champion (1947, 1948, 1949, 1951)
Stanley Cup Finalist (1953)
Played in NHL All-Star Game (1947, 1948, 1949)

---------------------------------------------------

Offensive:

566G, 109G, 127A, 236PTS, 189 PIM

In 10 complete NHL Season
- 6 time 10 goals season
- 3 time 15 goals season
- 1 time 20 goals season

Team League Leader:

Goals (2nd, 5th, 5th)
Assist (4th)
Points (5th, 5th)

HHOF said:
He was a consistent goal scorer and hard worker who contributed to four Stanley Cup wins with the Leafs.

Klukay was sold to the weaker Boston Bruins but enjoyed being able to rush with the puck in a less restrictive system. In 1953-54 he scored 20 goals for the first time in his career.

Joe Pelletier said:
A strong skater with an above average understanding of the game

Klukay was a very effective forechecker, using his speed to jump in on defensemen and his dogged determination and strength to thump the blueliner and create turnovers. He was a very important cog of the Leafs Stanley Cup championships of that era, 4 all together.

Klukay actually started out as a scoring prospect with the Leafs farm team, but soon found his niche as a checker. But he did chip in offensively, being a regular 10-15 goal contributor in an era when 25-30 goals was really good.

Ultimate Hockey said:
In the mid-1940's, Klukay was one of Leaf boss Conn Smythe's prized scoring prospect down on th farm. But Klukay soon found that the Leafs already had enough offense (so) he adjusted.

Defensive:

Selke Trophy (1948*, 1950*, 1951*, 1952*)
Best Penalty-killer of the 1950's*

*Given by Ultimate Hockey

HHOF said:
He and linemate Nick Metz became the league's most effective penalty killing tandem on a team that won through discipline and defence.

Joe Pelletier said:
Joe Klukay is one of the greatest defensive forwards to ever play the game of hockey.

(Klukay and Metz) formed a very effective penalty killing unit, often using an uncommon tactic back in those days - heavy forechecking while short handed.

But in true defensive forward fashion of any era, Joe Klukay's accomplishments were probably unnoticed by many then, and almost entirely forgotten about now.

His most memorable moment as a member of the Black and Gold came in the semi-finals of the 1953 playoffs. Klukay was assigned to shadow the immortal Gordie Howe. Klukay held Howe to only 2 goals in 6 games, a remarkable achievement.

If you ever had the chance to coach an all time team, choosing players from any era, you couldn't go wrong with picking Joe Klukay as one of your penalty killing forwards.

Legend of Hockey said:
(Klukay) become one of the top penalty-killers-defensive forwards ever to step on the ice.

He never appeared to be out of place, playing an amazingly sound, technical brand of hockey.

Were you protecting a one-goallead with two minutes remaining? Klukay was your man!

BeeHive Hockey said:
Known as "The Duke of Paducah", he was one of the greatest defensive forwards to ever play the game of hockey. As an effective fore-checker and penalty killer

Other:

Allan Cup Winner (1963)
Battled in World War II (1943-1945)

- Nick Metz and him concocted a revolutionary penalty-killing strategy in thel ate 1940's: "We just concocted a system for us," explained the man they dubbed the Duke of Paducah. "It had to be the easiest, the most effective way to go about killing a penalty. You had one guy going in and we'd try to contain them in their own end. It worked for ten years so we couldn't knock it."

- Foster Hewitt considered Joe Klukay as one of the best stickhandler in the NHL

Joe Klukay was one of the best forechecker and most intimidating crasher of his ERA. His huge hits earn him the nickname ''The Thing''.

http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayer.jsp?player=13210
http://mapleleafslegends.blogspot.com/2007/10/joe-klukay.html
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20060211.OBBRIEFS11-1/TPStory/Obituaries
http://beehivehockey.com/profiles_04.htm#31-joeklukay

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Ralph ''Mr. Fantastic'' Backstrom

mrfan.jpg

5'10 feets, 165 pounds, Shoot: Left

Stanley Cup Champion (1959, 1960, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969)
Stanley Cup Finalist (1967)
Calder Memorial Trophy (1959)
Played in NHL All-Star Game (1958, 1959, 1960, 1962, 1965, 1967)
Avco World Trophy Finalist (1974)

Offensive:

1032G, 278G, 361A, 639PTS, 386PTS

In 15 complete NHL Season
- 10 time 15 goals season
- 7 time 20 goals season
- 3 time 25 goals season

League Leader:

Goals (7th, 8th)
Assist (8th)
Points (7th, 9th)

Team League Leader:

Goals (2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 5th, 5th)
Assist (1st, 1st, 3rd, 3rd )
Points (1st, 2nd, 2nd, 4th )

WHA Team League Leader:

Goals (1st, 1st, 4th)
Assist (1st, 1st, 5th, 5th)
Points (1st, 1st, 4th)

Montreal Canadiens All-Time Leader:

- 7th in career goals
- 10th in career assists
- 8th in career points

HHOF said:
Ralph Backstrom was a swift skater with a deft scoring touch

Joe Pelletier said:
We'll never know how much Ralph Backstrom could have accomplished at the NHL level. The fine playmaker and two way center spent his first 13 seasons with the Montreal Canadiens helping the Habs win 6 Stanley Cups. But Backstrom was never better than a number 3 center in Montreal, always playing behind the legendary Jean Beliveau and Henri Richard.

Backstrom entered the league in 1958-59 and scored 40 points in limited ice time in 64 games with the Habs.

Backstrom was a solid offensive contributor [...]A magnificent skater, his best offensive season came in 1961-62 when in 66 games he scored career highs with 27 goals, 38 assists, and 65 points.

One has to wonder what heights Backstrom could have achieved had he had more of an opportunity to play on one of the top two lines, especially with the powerful Montreal Canadiens of the 1960s. But Backstrom never complained. Instead he accepted his role and excelled at it.

Ultimate Hockey said:
(Backstrom) was a fluid skater with blinding speed, polished play-making skills, hair-trigger reflexes on faceoffs and an impressive work ethic.

The young trio (Backstrom, Provost, Marshall/Goyette) although bursting with offensive talent, was used as a checking line.

Backstrom would become a mainstay in Montreal; he was Selke's and later Sam Pollock's, idea of a perfect player. Although he had the tools to be a first-line star and elite scorer, the selfless pivot put the team first and accepted his checking role.

chidlovski said:
Ralph Backstrom was a unique player. He was a dazzling skater, with a deft scoring touch who could also play hard-nosed, tough hockey without resorting to fighting or drawing penalties. He was always considered to be among the classiest players in any league he played.

For most of the (1974 Russia-Canada) series, he centered Team Canada's 2nd line along with Mark and Gordie Howe. He killed penalties, worked the power play, and was dangerous offensively almost every time he was on the ice.

Defensive:

HHOF said:
Ralph Backstrom was a swift skater with a deft scoring touch whose defensive and team-oriented play earned him accolades throughout his career.

His production (sophomore season) dropped to 28 points, but he solidified his place as a key defensive forward on the club.

Backstrom became an important two-way forward on six Stanley Cup-winning teams. He and teammate Claude Provost garnered reputations as two of the most dogged forwards in the game.

Backstrom was a solid offensive contributor but was best used as a checking center by the team he grew up dreaming about. He was a very solid two way player.

Others:

George Richardson Memorial Trophy Winner* (1957)
Memorial Cup Winner (1958)
Paul Deneau Trophy** (1974)

*Jr.A playoff winners
** WHA best sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct

- He was the team captain of both the Ottawa Junior Canadiens (Jr.A) and the Hull-Ottawa Canadiens (OHASr) when they won as league best hockey teams.

- He won the Calder trophy as league most outstanding rookie in 1959, doubling the votes of second place Carl Brewer.

- ''There were times in my career that I felt I could have played better statistically if I would have played on another team besides the Canadiens. But there was nothing like the team successes that the Canadiens had during the time I played with them.'' - Ralph Backstrom

Ralph Backstrom was one of the quickest player of his generation. His strong leadership earn him the nickname of ''Mr.Fantastic''.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_Backstrom
http://www.chidlovski.net/1974/74_playersca.asp?playerid=ca14
http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayer.jsp?player=11896
http://habslegends.blogspot.com/2007/05/ralph-backstrom.html
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_6521292

---------------------------------------------------------------

Blair ''Human Torch'' Russel

human_torch.gif

5'9 feet, 170 pounds

Stanley Cup Champion ()
Stanley Cup Finalist ()

67Games, 110Goals

Selke Trophy (1903*, 1904*)

Best Shadow of the 1900's. Blair Russel was a fine back-checker and an accomplished ''marker'' of opposing players.*

*Given by Ultimate Hockey

HHOF said:
Blair Russel was an excellent two-way player throughout his career as an amateur with the Montreal Victorias

This pair made as potent a scoring threat as there was in hockey at that time, amateur or professional.

Russel was a very clean player who was equally adept at scoring or checking.

- Honored Members, say in his book that by the time he retired in 1908, Blair Russel was considered the best player hockey had even seen at his position and that he was renowned for his speed and his gentlemanly play.

- In a vote conducted at the time by daily newspapers in Toronto and Montreal, Russel was named to an All-Star team along with such greats as Harvey Pulford, Frank McGee, Alf Smith, and Billy Gilmour. - Hockey Hall of Fame

- In 1904, Russel scored a six-goal game and a five-goal game, but his most unbelievable scoring featuring is when is score seven goals against the Montreal Shamrocks.

Blair Russel was arguably the best two-way player of his ERA. His speed and quickness to backcheck and shadow his opponent earn him the nickname ''The Human Torch''.

http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080...jsp?type=Player&mem=P196509&list=ByName#photo
http://www.bigsportsfanatics.com/articles/Hockey-Hall-of-Famers_21913.html

plante03.jpg

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Well, my first two series' saw me matched up against #1 seeds from last time around, so what do I get for this one? The last #1 seed remaining. No one said it would be easy, I guess.

There's no doubt that Eagle built yet another great team, but I definitely think I can stick with him in this one. As GBG alluded to, I'm not worried about line-matching one bit, and I think that's a definite advantage. I think there are some match-ups I can take advantage of. One is the GAG line. They've got talent offensively, no doubt about it, but I think it's fair to question that line, together, in the playoffs. Ratelle did some good things in Boston, but that wasn't with Gilbert and Hadfield on his wings. I also think the added responsibility of playing against my first line, should I choose that match-up, could deal a big blow to their offense, not to mention the fact that they're going up against such a defensively-talented trio. I'm also not that afraid of his third line going up against my first. I love his third line, but as in the series before, this is again a scenario where probably his best defensive player(or at least one of the top 2 or 3) is up against the weakest. No question that Backstrom and Russel are good defensively, but I don't think they can slow down Moore and Schmidt that much, and I think I can definitely take advantage.

Another area I see as a nice advantage has to be on defense. For him, I think going against Harvey-Suter could prove to be tough, no matter which line is on. It's certainly a change from the Leafs' defense. You get away from them, you get Steve Smith and Bill Barilko, two guys who are very tough to play against. And then, oh yeah, there's Tom Johnson, he's pretty good defensively, too. Housley obviously isn't much defensively, but before you go dreaming of Kharlamov burning him on a regular basis, I'll just say that you're going to have to jump through hoops to get that match-up, even in Detroit. And even if you do Johnson will be the one on the right side, so again it'll be hard to take advantage of that with Kharlamov in transition. To be honest, I'm not worried about Drillon doing that, either. He's going to have arguably the best defensive forward in this series backchecking with him(probably in front of him is more accurate), along with another guy who is pretty damn solid. Behind them? Only the aforementioned Suter, who is a superb defender, and the greatest defensive defenseman of them all. I think Drillon will have enough confidence in his teammates that he doesn't need to make those hooks.

Keeping with the defense thing, I don't think it's a stretch to say that if you stacked up our defensemen 1-through-6, like a depth chart, I'd win every seeding. Maybe that's me being biased in my team, but I definitely think it's true. And in some cases, like ranking the #1's, I win big. I definitely think that'll show up on the ice.

Similarily, I think I have an advantage in the top six forwards, albeit a slight one. Say what you will about my second line, but I think it's built to succeed. And I definitely have a preference in the personnel. I also think I have an advantage in personnel on the first, but I think it's very close. I know those two lines have chemistry, but hey, my boys have played an entire regular season together, and won two playoff series' together. I don't think chemistry's an issue anymore.

No doubt he has an advantage in goaltending, but I really like Hainsworth, and think he can keep it close. It also doesn't hurt having three guys who played a lot with Plante, and obviously might know a thing or two about him. Especially when two of those guys are defensemen who played a lot in front of him and probably know a ton of his weaknesses and tendencies.

Again I can't deny he has a pretty decent coaching advantage. But, again, Sinden's no slouch. Sinden's teams in Boston were built a lot like this, and he had success there. He's likely also pretty familiar with the Army line. No doubt Irvin's pretty familiar with some of my guys as well, but I'm not trying to say I've got any sort of upper hand here, but that Sinden isn't likely to lose us any games.

Now that that's settled, there's a couple other areas I think can really win me this series. One's bottom line scoring. I think his bottom six can definitely score from time to time, but this is somewhere I think I have an advantage. No doubt in my mind that Alffy's the best offensive bottom six forward. IMO the guy's a decent 2nd liner in this thing, and only was bumped because I thought Drillon could go from lazy second liner to superstar when paired with Schmidt and Moore(I think it's worked thus far). Guys like Muller, Steen, and Finnigan are no slouches, either. And while their big seasons were somewhat of an exception to the rule, Murray and Carpenter can certainly score the odd goal(especially the talented Carpenter who will definitely be able to open up his offensive game a little more on a line like that).

Another advantage I think I have is with the slot machines. Unlike the last series or two, there isn't really anyone in this series that can take that area away from them. No doubt he's got some pretty good personnel back there, but after facing Chelios, Pronovost, Horton, Stewart, Brewer and others, I think guys like Kerr and Drillon are up for the challenge. If these guys can get control of that area, I definitely think that makes Plante more beatable. And I have the utmost confidence in my guys' ability to do so.

I think asking about the health of guys like Kerr and Moore is a somewhat fair question, but let's face it, these guys are gamers. They may have battled injuries every now and then, but no question about it, they're here to win. And if an injury were to become too serious(not that I think it would, as it could happen to just about anyone), I think we've got some pretty talented offensive personnel in the bottom six and even in the pressbox. It'd be a blow, but any injury would, and I think we can get through it better than some other teams.

Overall, I think this is going to be a very entertaining series. I hope my boys can continue this impressive run, and win the division the hard way. And I certainly think they can.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Game 1: The Faceoff

The opening faceoff, Schmidt and Petrov lock eyes. The ref is an afterthought. All that matter is the battle of wills. They both see the puck reflected in the eye of their opponent as it falls to the ice, seemingly in slow motion. One foot slides forward as their elbows grind into each other. Both sticks pinch the puck tight. Perfect angle to hold the puck to the ground. The play begins, but the two warriors remain locked in battle. Schmidt's stick lifts slightly, Petrov presses hard, wedging the puck under Schmidt's blade. Schmist twists his wrist, pressing Petrov's blade to a new angle. Petrov wins the draw, but the new angle causes it to land on the blade of Dickie Moore just as he enters the Falcons' zone.

Toronto Marlboros win 5-2.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Game 2: Second effort.

All Jacques Plante can see is Tim Kerr's jersey and Ken Morrow's arms. Morrow tries with everything I got, but every advantage he gains causes Kerr to shift position. Always in Plante's line of sight. Always preventing the play from being seen. He can hear the play. The movement of skates. The yell of the crowd. The calls of his teammates. Backstrom tries his best to yell useful information, but there is only so much Plante can do. Make yourself big, keep moving. If you can't get a line on them, don't let them get a line on you. He here's Naslund's accent as he calls for the puck. Plante knows what that means. He throws his left arm at the left corner and the puck hits the tip of his glove, spiralling downward. Without turning, Kerr backhands the falling puck. Plante shifts his weight so the puck hits his ribs. He clamps his arm down in a chicken wing position. Holding the puck in place as he falls forward. Kerr bats at his arm, until... Saved by the whistle.

The Detroit Falcons win 3-1.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Game 3: End to end.

Troy Murray has the puck deep in the Detroit zone. Passes to Muller in the slot, but, Kharlamov intercepts. Finnigan is on him in no time. Kharlamov cuts wide, but Finnigan stays on him, hacking at Kharlamov's stick. Kharlamov holds strong and reaches a new gear, leaving Finnigan in his wake. Suter lines him up for a hip check. Kharlamov rolls the puck to his left skate, kicks it to his right skate then kicks it behind his left skate, reaches behind himself and passes forward onto his blade. The little dance leaves him free and clear of Suter who's left scratching his head. But Kharlamov's journey still has the biggest roadblock of all ahead of him, Doug Harvey. Kharlamov shifts side to side, not letting Harvey know his plans, but Harvey remains calm and vigilant. Khalamov cuts right, but Harvey is there. Reverse spinarama, but Harvey is still there. Kharlamov tries to power through, but Harvey drives him into the corner. All is lost for Kharlamov, but whats that, Mikhailov streaking toward the goal, and Kharlamov still has the puck...

Detroit wins 4-3.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Game 4: Poise.

Jean Ratelle is skating into the zone with speed. Harvey poke checks the puck away. Hadfield picks it up but is crushed by Harvey, who picks up the puck. Harvey begins to skate forward, but Gilbert is there. Harvey cycles back. Ratelle is there. Forward, Hadfield is there. Harvey is getting squeezed. Out of the corner of his eye, he sees Steen hit the ice. Harvey banks a pass off the board, right onto Steen's stick, barely not a two line pass, and Toronto has a four on two.

Toronto Marlboros win 2-1.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Game 5: The Shot

Rod Gilbert has the puck in the Toronto zone. He tries to stick handle past Francis, but quickly realizes it would be futile. Passes to Ruotsalainen. Ruotsalainen to Ratelle before Naslund is able to reach him. Ratelle back to Gilbert. Gilbert goes for the one timer, but notices Johnson going down to block the shot. Gilbert settles the puck. Fakes a wrist shot, Francis gets tangled up getting a stick in front of the pseudo-shot. Gilbert cuts wide. Hadfield in place. Quick snap shot, through Hadfield's legs and... yes, through the five hole.

Detroit Falcons win 6-4.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Game 6: The Big One.

Reardon is carrying the puck up ice. BOOM! Level by Milt Schmidt. Dickie Moore picks up the puck. Pass to Schmidt as he cuts to the right side of the ice. Two on none. Pass to Moore. Moore winds up for the slapper. Plante cuts down the angles. Moore reels in the wind-up. Goes for the deke, but chips it to Schmidt in tight. Plante lunges, stick extended so far you could hear the strain on Plante's shoulder. Schmidt goes for the quick tap in, easy goal. But no! the tip of Plante's stick is enough to nudge the puck wide. Schmidt does a spinarama pass to Moore. Without letting the puck settle, Moore hacks at it with his stick wedged. The puck is heading top shelf... LIGHTNING REFLEXES! Plante's glove comes seemingly out of nowhere to snatch the puck out of nowhere. Leaving Plante huddled in a ball, with the puck, as Reardon plows over Moore and the ref blows the whistle.

Detroit Falcons win 2-0.

Detroit Falcons win the series 4 games to 2.

Three Stars:

1st Doug Harvey
2nd Jacques Plante
3rd Valeri Kharlamov and Milt Schmidt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad