OT: At The Rink "New Jersey Devils Edition" - All Things Related To Playing Hockey

DangleSnipeCelly

Formerly KupsforKovy
Jan 30, 2010
Rockaway
I prefer a 100-110 flex. I am just too strong for a 85, gets way to whippy for me.

I hit up the Pure hockey tent sale today.

I really wanted a Reebok 20k stick but of course all of NJ shoots righty so there where none left in righty. I did go with my second choice and got the Easton Stealth RS2 - 110 flex with the Hall/Sakic curve. I had the first model RS and liked it before it broke. got it for 160 bucks, normally 300, marked down to 200 with 20 percent extra off for the sale. Now i get to use it tomorrow at open hockey :)

newjerseydamo

May 15, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
www.puck-mad.com
I'm an amateur when it comes to playing hockey.
What's a good guide when it comes to stick length and cutting some off if necessary?
I read that with skates on, the end of the stick should stop at your chin.

Any advice would be appreciated :)

VaxjoDevil

No kids - Still a person
Nov 11, 2009
Princeton, NJ
I'm an amateur when it comes to playing hockey.
What's a good guide when it comes to stick length and cutting some off if necessary?
I read that with skates on, the end of the stick should stop at your chin.

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Basically yes, some forwards prefer it a bit shorter. For defense you might want a not too short stick to get a good reach digging around. If you have long arms you might want to cut it just a bit, or your upper hands arm will be a bit squeezed. If you need to measure it without skates on it should stop kind of at the tip of your nose.

newjerseydamo

May 15, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
www.puck-mad.com
Basically yes, some forwards prefer it a bit shorter. For defense you might want a not too short stick to get a good reach digging around. If you have long arms you might want to cut it just a bit, or your upper hands arm will be a bit squeezed. If you need to measure it without skates on it should stop kind of at the tip of your nose.

cheers for the help!

I guess i also forgot to ask, whats the best item/material to cut a carbon fiber stick?

DustersAnonymous

Let the Larsson Play
Apr 26, 2013
New Jersey
Open Hockey in Central NJ

Sorry in advance if this is the wrong place for this but I had little luck in the other forums.

I'm wondering if anyone has any input on good places for open hockey in the Central Jersey area. Ideally what I'm looking for is rinks that have morning sessions with minimal turnout. Looking to get a few guys back into ice from either hiatus or switching over from roller and hoping to just work on the skating and skills a bit before joining up in an adult league.

Looking at Union Sports Arena right now in particular if any one has any experience there. Thanks everyone!

NHL Fanatik*

Howell Ice World has open hockey 1210-145 every Monday through Friday, minimal turnout being 3-4 guys an possibly a goalie, if that.

Japam

I love Matt Loughlin.
May 21, 2012
nj
I think Bridgewater or Woodbridge have a morning session during the week.

das

Feb 4, 2010
Ironbound
I'd be interested too depending on location. Been a roller goalie for too long and have been wanting to sharpen my ice skills as a goalie.

das

Feb 4, 2010
Ironbound
We can just take over independence park's little youth soccer section and go to town.

That'd be hilarious.

I drive by there daily and can't remember if the street rink is still up in the tennis courts? I know they are doing a bunch of construction there, but that would be fun.

DustersAnonymous

Let the Larsson Play
Apr 26, 2013
New Jersey
Yes. I play in Colonia though at Inman.

You and me both. Is it just me or does it feel like its ice lately with how slick/slippery the floor has been?

Back on topic though.. I've heard a lot of good things about Union Sports so I think I'm gonna try it out there Tuesday AM before heading to class. Thanks for all the input fellas.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
I drive by there daily and can't remember if the street rink is still up in the tennis courts? I know they are doing a bunch of construction there, but that would be fun.

It's still all construction. I think it would only be me and you hanging out there trying to get a pick up game going. Usually it's monopolized by the adults ignoring the sign that says they can't play adult soccer there. But I think it's pretty perfect for what you're looking to do. And since it's gated it would make for some pretty hilarious body checks.

Also to a lesser extent the basketball courts would work.

If you're looking for something within your commute you can go down by Avenue B in NYC. They have leagues. And a huge open space down by Tompkins Square Park.

Alphabet City/East Village: The northwest corner of Tompkins Square Park, at Avenue A and 10th St., is a paved playground marked for baseball. There are casual pick-up rollerhockey games summer weekday evenings, typically Tuesday and Thursday.

http://www.skatecity.com/nyc/clubs/hockey.html

Refs and everything. Quick path ride to be honest which is probably closer than any Drive. Path Ride and the L train. Tops 1 hour trip if that.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
You and me both. Is it just me or does it feel like its ice lately with how slick/slippery the floor has been?

I play there too and it gets so humid in that place so the floor is slippery which sucks. I actually play there tonight. Hopefully it isnt that bad.

Mory Schneideur*

You know what?

To hell with this. Inline hockey goalie it is. Never skated before, but I want.

Just some advice to make you a rockstar in net, skate skate skate! Goalies have to be the best skaters on the team believe it or not :)

Mory Schneideur*

Appreciate the quick answer. Sadly I can't go that late, and Floyd is about 40 minutes away. I've got to leave around 9AM tomorrow and need to try to make up some sleep. I'd be willint go to Floyd if it was like a 10PM start time.

I haven't done it in a while but Floyd & Ice House used to regularly have college, junior and minor leaguers. Every once in a while a retired NHLer at Floyd. If you really want competitive open ice, thats where I used to go, but this was like 5 years ago or more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad