At the end of the day, the fans are the ones getting screwed over the hardest....

Bardown warrior

Oct 26, 2013
Mississauga
I understand the argument of "its all our fault" and "we're not gonna get better unless we boycott the team" but you guys fail to realize is that playoffs mean an extra 15-20 million dollars in revenue. Could you imagine how much money on merchandise alone the leafs would make if they won a Stanley Cup? I don't think its all for lack of trying... As for the players, i think its just the core that we have. We need to get rid of pretentious pre-madonnas like lupul and bring in some players who want to win.

Sundinforever13

Feb 19, 2012
I think they care more than you think. Yeah most of them go home to a mansion and hot wife but are still perceived as losers and failures despite it because of how they perform on the ice. I'm sure that's in the back of a lot of guys heads.

Temporarily... until they're back in their lambo, at which time all the losing thoughts are gone from their head.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
should we think any of the leaf players are upset today about last night's loss? get real. not a single, solitary one of them. they're taking a bath in their money right now. then right after game 82 a few of them will get together and head off to the 10 million dollar cottage they bought up north... they'll get there by plane.

so no, none of them are sulking today, they're all living it up as usual

the only upset people today are the fans who are wiping their tears all day while they work their 9-5 for 12 bucks an hour... how f-ing ridiculous is that? wake up toronto. step back. breathe. get a grip. stop crying over pampered millionaires who play crap game after crap game, only to deposit 50 grand at the end of each night... the only losers in this whole scenario are the fans who allow themselves to get caught up in this garbage - cause none of those players are losing believe me

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
No, fans are not getting screwed over. You are simply choosing to continue to spend money, time, and invest emotion in this s*** show.

Heck, Hab fans know what to do: boycott and hurl abuse until the organization capitulates and gets it right. So stop with the"poor me" hang-dog face and understand its "stupid me" for choosing to continue unwavering support here in Leafland.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
All these guys are competitive, though, they all want to win. I believe that. People are competitive by nature anyway. I mean, I want to win badly in a game of checkers against my brother FFS. Those guys that reached the top level in hockey ARE competitive. They want to win bad.

At the same time, I don't take losses as hard as I used to. It sucks, but it is what it is, I move on the next day with my life. It's not affecting my life anymore. The are other things that are way more important. I think the players care. Yea, they get paid regardless, but everybody would rather win than lose. It feels a lot better when you win, and you know that you've done well. What's so fun in getting lots of money but your team sucks? I think it would feel empty spending all that money after you know your team did not achieve what they wanted to.

Oct 19, 2007
No one is making you buy tickets, jersey's or spend anything along those lines.

Don't do it.

Spend your money elsewhere.

People that complain that players aren't trying hard enough are a little far-fetched.

I agree with you..I have been a Leafs fan for as long as anybody on this board and probably longer..,I saw the " ups " in the 60's where I saw the Leafs win the cup 4 times. I saw all the stars and the high paid players of every era. No they didn't make as much as today's players but what they made made my wages look very small. I saw the team through the Ballard " down "years and every year since that time. I can tell you honestly that at the end of every season I never had any emotional setbacks because of how some team played a " game ". In the end, a game is what it is. Whatever I bought that help make the team richer, I did it because I wanted to. Nobody forced me to spend a penny. To say that the fans are the ones getting screwed is a bit much in my opinion.:help:

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
It's like any workplace, ever.

Once moral starts to go, regardless of the reason, it's very difficult to stop, it spreads like a disease. You can temporarily get things back on track by scaring everyone or promising things will get better, that might buy you some time, it doesn't fix the problem and it certainly doesn't work multiple times though.

The only way to reverse course is to locate the "bad" apples and get rid of them or hope they eventually quit on their own (not really possible with contracts though..).

I think this is exactly what has happened, for whatever reason the players became disgruntled. Nonis went in and "scared" the team, they responded but because the underlying problem was never addressed it just festered until you get what you have today. Nonis should have been more active in locating the problem (regardless of it being coaching staff or players) and made the appropriate adjustments.

So at the end of the day, I blame Nonis for failing to properly assess the situation and take appropriate action. He went with the band aid fix rather than the changes required to turn things around long term.

What they get paid is irrelevant, it's the "norm" for them to make so much money. Human nature doesn't magically change because you are getting more money.

More on topic, the fans certainly don't get screwed. You know what you are paying for up front, there is no guarantee of any result. If there was who would care about cheering for a winning team?

deleteme24

Leafs for cup
Sep 20, 2009
Leafs Nation
It's like any workplace, ever.

Once moral starts to go, regardless of the reason, it's very difficult to stop, it spreads like a disease. You can temporarily get things back on track by scaring everyone or promising things will get better, that might buy you some time, it doesn't fix the problem and it certainly doesn't work multiple times though.

The only way to reverse course is to locate the "bad" apples and get rid of them or hope they eventually quit on their own (not really possible with contracts though..).

I think this is exactly what has happened, for whatever reason the players became disgruntled. Nonis went in and "scared" the team, they responded but because the underlying problem was never addressed it just festered until you get what you have today. Nonis should have been more active in locating the problem (regardless of it being coaching staff or players) and made the appropriate adjustments.

So at the end of the day, I blame Nonis for failing to properly assess the situation and take appropriate action. He went with the band aid fix rather than the changes required to turn things around long term.

What they get paid is irrelevant, it's the "norm" for them to make so much money. Human nature doesn't magically change because you are getting more money.

More on topic, the fans certainly don't get screwed. You know what you are paying for up front, there is no guarantee of any result. If there was who would care about cheering for a winning team?

Thanks. It's a good wakeup call for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad