Post-Game Talk: At least we got a point?

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
The Jets had 22 shots on goal!

The Jets are not a pushover despite what you may think. They have significantly better depth than we do up front.

The Oilers did an admirable job stifling their attack and yes, Smith stood tall in a number of instances keeping us in it all game.

I've read a number of negative comments regarding a number of players who I honestly thought had decent games. It was a frustrating game, but every player was engaged that game.
Ive read earlier a poster saying one of our negatives was the effort level of the boys...I think the boys were almost flat out.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Maybe we should breakup the dynamic duo for a game or two. It concerns me that the second line is not scoring hardly at all... pretty much were a one line offense team ....shut down the top line and the first power play and we got nothing...

Chiasson McD Neal
Draisatl RNH Kassian

Maybe its not good for the long term but a couple of games of having the opposition having to take their top line off McD probably cant hurt... and hopefully it will give some confidence back to RNH.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Quite a picture you're painting with that last sentence. Not sure that's what's going on in this thread.
Quite a picture? What does that mean? Care to elaborate?

Look, nobody needs me to say that posters can post whatever they want. It’s obvious. It’s not against the rules to make foolish posts. However I feel like it’s a problem when posters can’t even remember what they’ve posted hour by hour. If you’re in the GDT posting that McDavid is ‘Lucic like’ and then less than two hours later you’re in the PGT saying ‘relax guys it’s not like anyone is comparing McDavid to Lucic’, I feel no shame in pointing that out. In fact I would find it strange if nobody pointed it out.

It’s one thing to make a ‘mistake’ on a player evaluation. Everyone here has done that. It’s quite another thing to post junk and then excuse it by saying ‘oh it’s the GDT, I just got caught up in the moment’. McDavid is an idiot? Draisaitl is drunk? They need to be benched? C’mon ... that’s just straight up trash posting. No call for it under any circumstances.

Reactions: VainGretzky

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
Quite a picture? What does that mean? Care to elaborate?

Look, nobody needs me to say that posters can post whatever they want. It’s obvious. It’s not against the rules to make foolish posts. However I feel like it’s a problem when posters can’t even remember what they’ve posted hour by hour. If you’re in the GDT posting that McDavid is ‘Lucic like’ and then less than two hours later you’re in the PGT saying ‘relax guys it’s not like anyone is comparing McDavid to Lucic’, I feel no shame in pointing that out. In fact I would find it strange if nobody pointed it out.

It’s one thing to make a ‘mistake’ on a player evaluation. Everyone here has done that. It’s quite another thing to post junk and then excuse it by saying ‘oh it’s the GDT, I just got caught up in the moment’. McDavid is an idiot? Draisaitl is drunk? They need to be benched? C’mon ... that’s just straight up trash posting. No call for it under any circumstances.

Fair. I think the discussion has strayed from what I initially was arguing because I don't know if we necessarily disagree after your last post.

Elaborating, I don't think there's posters whining about getting held accountable at least that wasn't what I was defending. I get my hackles up when people start painting the fanbase and this board with a wide brush based on a few posters. I don't want a few dummies in the GDT to be held up as representative of all of us.

I think Draisaitl and McDavid had a bad game. I don't like being lumped in with the ones calling them idiots.

Last edited:
Reactions: harpoon

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Really? I’m not going to dump on him, or call him ‘drunk’ like half the board was doing tonight, but that was not a game he’s going to be proud of. Same goes for McDavid. Let’s just acknowledge that hockey is a fast paced game with thousands of variables that don’t always break your way.

Offensively, Drai was just okay. But defensively he was beastly with the stick. He knocked down passes that I doubt only Selke-nominated forwards could.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Thank you for the reply. I too dislike it when the entire board gets lumped in with a few fringe posters. @McDNicks17 suggests that the over the top posts were ~1% of the GDT. I feel like it was quite a bit higher than that. Or maybe the awful posts just stand out more.

Regardless, I think I was making an effort to do what you ask (avoid painting the whole board with the same brush) when specifically noting some of the more egregious posts by name. Would you agree that it’s strange to say you don’t want everyone painted with the same brush, and then also say what you posted earlier in the GDT?
I don't think it's really fair to comb through the GDT to find posters who were wrong or said something dumb.
I mean if we can’t call terrible posts out in general, and we can’t call them out specifically, I guess we just ignore them? Kinda tough to do when you’re trying to enjoy a GDT.

Again, thank you for the reply. I’ll drop the subject now since I’m sure it’s irritating for some fraction of the board and moderators.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Thank you for the reply. I too dislike it when the entire board gets lumped in with a few fringe posters. @McDNicks17 suggests that the over the top posts were ~1% of the GDT. I feel like it was quite a bit higher than that. Or maybe the awful posts just stand out more.

Regardless, I think I was making an effort to do what you ask (avoid painting the whole board with the same brush) when specifically noting some of the more egregious posts by name. Would you agree that it’s strange to say you don’t want everyone painted with the same brush, and then also say what you posted earlier in the GDT?

I wasn't specifically aiming that at you, but I'm only really seeing two posts getting called out.

Even if there were ~60 posts like that, that's still 5% of the thread.

I don't really think that's worth worrying about becoming something like CP over. I'd guess the same happens all over this site. Especially with the big fan bases. Emotions are high. People use GDTs to vent. It is what it is.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I wasn't specifically aiming that at you, but I'm only really seeing two posts getting called out.

Even if there were ~60 posts like that, that's still 5% of the thread.

I don't really think that's worth worrying about becoming something like CP over. I'd guess the same happens all over this site. Especially with the big fan bases. Emotions are high. People use GDTs to vent. It is what it is.
We're very fearful of failure when we achieve any sort of success. I remember a couple of years ago as we drew closer to a playoff spot people were scared that we were going to divebomb and miss them altogether.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad