At least the refs and the linesmen have some dignity

Status
Not open for further replies.

edmontonoilers89

Dec 29, 2002
Edmonton
Visit site
In June, when the NHL Officials Association met in Las Vegas, the men in stripes made a pact. Even though it would hit them in the wallet, officials vowed not to take anybody else's job. That meant not going to Europe or the AHL to call games.

That meant not even calling men's recreation league games, something Racicot has been approached about.

"We could have some pretty good opportunities to work as far as officiating goes and make some decent money," Racicot said. "Simply, we're not going to take somebody else's job away."

Racicot, who plays as a defenseman in a weekly men's league in Pompano Beach, has been asked if he'd officiate games during Thanksgiving and Christmas.

"These kids who are reffing, they're college kids," Racicot said. "I wouldn't want to take this poor guy's 35 bucks a game. That's their side cash and I'm not going to take it away. It just wouldn't be right."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/hockey/panthers/sfl-nhlref08nov08,0,566120.story?coll=sfla-sports-panthers

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Oh what a grand gesture. Im sure other leagues were knocking down their doors trying to lure these refs to their leagues like they did with the players. Empty gesture, no one wants them.

garry1221

Mar 13, 2003
Walled Lake, Mi
Visit site
thinkwild said:
Oh what a grand gesture. Im sure other leagues were knocking down their doors trying to lure these refs to their leagues like they did with the players. Empty gesture, no one wants them.

sounds to me like they very well could have opportunities in other leagues, but why act like the players and take jobs away, when the people they'd be taking jobs away from would suffer for it. Whether they're the best of the best, or just better than a few others... the NHLOA is showing total class, even while being hit in their own pockets. They aren't going to other leagues and forcing others out of the jobs they have.

That meant not even calling men's recreation league games, something Racicot has been approached about.

"We could have some pretty good opportunities to work as far as officiating goes and make some decent money," Racicot said. "Simply, we're not going to take somebody else's job away."

guess this quote negates your snide remark about other leagues knocking down their doors. Doesn't matter that it was only a rec league either. Either way it would have been taking another job away from someone else.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
With the usual terrible reffing we have here in SFLA, it'd be great if we could get Racicot and Provost to do our U18 Travel games.

Well, whatever, I'm a ref too so it means more opportunity for me.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
Smail said:
Thing is the referees don't earn so much that they're totally disconnected with the normal citizen.

So are you saying the players are disconnected from the average person?

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
garry1221 said:
sounds to me like they very well could have opportunities in other leagues, but why act like the players and take jobs away, when the people they'd be taking jobs away from would suffer for it. Whether they're the best of the best, or just better than a few others... the NHLOA is showing total class, even while being hit in their own pockets. They aren't going to other leagues and forcing others out of the jobs they have.

People don't pay to see referees. It'd be really stupid to pay someone alot just because they're an NHL ref or linesmen. You think some rec league is banging down Mike Leggo's door? Hell, most of the refs in the NHL are barely AHL level anyway.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
thinkwild said:

No, they show that they think about who they might displace, even if it's someone making 35 bucks a game. Guys who make 75k a year should be more tempted to take the cash than guys who make millions, but the officials are proving to be more thoughtful of the other people affected. :shakehead

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
hockeytown9321 said:
So are you saying the players are disconnected from the average person?

The players are totally disconnected to the world going around them. (ie: their fans)

When you put a guy out of a job to keep in shape, a guy that's earning 30k/year playing hockey, when that's less than your first paycheck, because you're "fighting for your life" (thank you, Derek Aucoin), you need a reality check.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
hockeytown9321 said:
People don't pay to see referees. It'd be really stupid to pay someone alot just because they're an NHL ref or linesmen. You think some rec league is banging down Mike Leggo's door? Hell, most of the refs in the NHL are barely AHL level anyway.

Hockey's best trained and most capable officials are a big part of keeping the game safe and flowing, so yes when people pay their ticket price, they are paying to see the stars play, and the officials are part of the equation.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I know one of the refs is selling cars. I think it's VanMassenhoven?

"What do I have to do to get you to buy this car?"

"Explain to me how you could miss that #%^@ high stick!"

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
Smail said:
The players are totally disconnected to the world going around them. (ie: their fans)

When you put a guy out of a job to keep in shape, a guy that's earning 30k/year playing hockey, when that's less than your first paycheck, because you're "fighting for your life" (thank you, Derek Aucoin), you need a reality check.

Are the owners disconneced from reality then? they make a helluva lot more than the players do.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
Bring Back Bucky said:
Hockey's best trained and most capable officials are a big part of keeping the game safe and flowing, so yes when people pay their ticket price, they are paying to see the stars play, and the officials are part of the equation.

Actually, alot of the refs are only in the NHL because they needed bodies for the genuis two ref system. They're there by necessity, not merit.

You're right though, these current refs are doing their jobs above reproach. The game is better than ever.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
hockeytown9321 said:
Actually, alot of the refs are only in the NHL because they needed bodies for the genuis two ref system. They're there by necessity, not merit.

You're right though, these current refs are doing their jobs above reproach. The game is better than ever.

Hey, man, blame Jacques Lemaire, Gary Bettman and expansion for the state of the game.. ;)

BCCHL inactive

thinkwild said:

Next time, know what you're talking about before you speak.

Leagues like the ECHL, Central HL, UHL, etc would welcome NHL officials with open arms.

The only officials on NHL contracts working in hockey right now, are those on two-way contracts with the NHL and AHL.

hockeytown9321 said:

First of all, what qualifies you to tell what level an official is at? The NHL pays people to figure that out.

Secondly, the officials should get more money. People may not pay to see the officials, but the officials live the same lifestyle as the players. Officials live out of a suitcase even moreso than the players. Officials don't work half their games at home. I'm not saying the officials should make as much as the players, but they should get more than what they do now, and it could be a similar labour dispute when the CBA between the NHL and NHLOA expires next year.

During this lockout, as already mentioned, players are taking jobs away from players making $30,000/year to "stay in shape". If a referee making $100,000/season in the NHL took a job in the minor pro leagues, he would make a lot less than $30k/season, and he wouldn't have a bank account fat enough to handle a minor pro officiating job. He wouldn't make enough to make a living, thus it is makes more sense for a guy like Bill McCreary (who was probably earning in the $200k/season range in the NHL) to build kitchen cabinets for better wages.

If the average NHL player salary is $1.5M, the average NHL official salary should be at least $750k.

Bring Back Bucky said:

Not even I will agree with that. Fans pay to see the players. However, what I will say, is that just because fans don't pay to see the officials does not mean that officials should not be noticeable. If the players decide to play dirty, the fans are going to see the officials call penalties.

Last edited by a moderator:

Accord

Sep 25, 2004
South Florida
edmontonoilers89 said:
Racicot, who plays as a defenseman in a weekly men's league in Pompano Beach, has been asked if he'd officiate games during Thanksgiving and Christmas.

:amazed:

Holy crap, I play in a weekly men's league in Pompano Beach too and there's only one rink in the area! I'm going to have to look at the league roster and see if he is in the same division as me and which team.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
thinkwild said:
You are merely tolerable most days but then you post something like this. So do you think the NHL officials were picked out of a hat and better ones are lying in the ECHL? I guess they did not get their name pulled out yet. These referees would be snapped up in a heartbeat. You have got to do better than this or perhaps get some sleep instead of keeping a 24 hour NHLPA vigil.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
Van said:
Next time, know what you're talking about before you speak.

Leagues like the ECHL, Central HL, UHL, etc would welcome NHL officials with open arms.

The only officials on NHL contracts working in hockey right now, are those on two-way contracts with the NHL and AHL.

First of all, what qualifies you to tell what level an official is at? The NHL pays people to figure that out.

Secondly, the officials should get more money. People may not pay to see the officials, but the officials live the same lifestyle as the players. Officials live out of a suitcase even moreso than the players. Officials don't work half their games at home. I'm not saying the officials should make as much as the players, but they should get more than what they do now, and it could be a similar labour dispute when the CBA between the NHL and NHLOA expires next year.

During this lockout, as already mentioned, players are taking jobs away from players making $30,000/year to "stay in shape". If a referee making $100,000/season in the NHL took a job in the minor pro leagues, he would make a lot less than $30k/season, and he wouldn't have a bank account fat enough to handle a minor pro officiating job. He wouldn't make enough to make a living, thus it is makes more sense for a guy like Bill McCreary (who was probably earning in the $200k/season range in the NHL) to build kitchen cabinets for better wages.

If the average NHL player salary is $1.5M, the average NHL official salary should be at least $750k.

Not even I will agree with that. Fans pay to see the players. However, what I will say, is that just because fans don't pay to see the officials does not mean that officials should not be noticeable. If the players decide to play dirty, the fans are going to see the officials call penalties.

I tihnk I'm qualified to say that alot of the NHL refs are only there because they needed them, not because they earned being there. Thats a fact.

And if you watch as much hockey as I do and still feel the refs doa good job, more power to ya. I tihnk they're terrible and getting worse.

One last thing. You make it sound as if the refs are hard up. Dan McCourt lives next door to my aunt and uncle. Trust me, he's not starving.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
SwisshockeyAcademy said:
You are merely tolerable most days
You have got to do better than this or perhaps get some sleep instead of keeping a 24 hour NHLPA vigil
You know, im the one usually defending the refs. I dont expect this perfection fans seem to hold them to. Im never to one to complain about reffing. My comment probably went a little far in the heat of battle. But the point is that European teams are soliciting NHL players, and paying them more than their local players who are just struggling by to keep their job. NHL refs arent in the same position. Im sure any league would love to have them. But its a different set of cirmstances entirely. A good PR gesture by the refs who get way too much unfair bashing in my opinion.

But thanks for being a daily reader, I feel like im part of your life now.

BCCHL inactive

hockeytown9321 said:
One last thing. You make it sound as if the refs are hard up. Dan McCourt lives next door to my aunt and uncle. Trust me, he's not starving.

Dan McCourt is a veteran official. He's been in the league for years. What is a fact, is that McCourt has been near the top of the list in earnings for linesmen for a long time.

For younger officials who have only been making $100k/season for less than 4 years, it is going to get real tough for them to raise a family and pay their bills on the money they have saved up since the NHLOA told them it would be a good idea to prepare for a work stoppage. Remember...the officials stop getting that $400/week in January.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
Van said:
Dan McCourt is a veteran official. He's been in the league for years. What is a fact, is that McCourt has been near the top of the list in earnings for linesmen for a long time.

For younger officials who have only been making $100k/season for less than 4 years, it is going to get real tough for them to raise a family and pay their bills on the money they have saved up since the NHLOA told them it would be a good idea to prepare for a work stoppage. Remember...the officials stop getting that $400/week in January.

I understand that, but the lower level refs aren't any better than what the minors have now, so there's really no sense in paying a guy just because he's an "NHL" ref.

Sure the refs aren't "taking" someone elses job. What they don't tell you is those jobs haven't been offered.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
hockeytown9321 said:
I tihnk I'm qualified to say that alot of the NHL refs are only there because they needed them, not because they earned being there. Thats a fact.

And if you watch as much hockey as I do and still feel the refs doa good job, more power to ya. I tihnk they're terrible and getting worse.

So did the ones the NHL called up get there by hair color? Height? Or perhaps they are better than the minor league officials and would therefore be desirable. I will not say every official in the NHL is top notch but they must be the best of the bunch give or take a couple. Most leagues would benefit from top level officiating. Maybe i'm just crazy though, yes that could be it.

BCCHL inactive

hockeytown9321 said:
I understand that, but the lower level refs aren't any better than what the minors have now, so there's really no sense in paying a guy just because he's an "NHL" ref.

Again, what qualifies you to say that an NHL referee is no better than the minor-league referees now? What league do you work for?

NHL referees pay issues isn't just about on-ice performance either. They live the same lifestyle as the players. In fact, they see more hotels because out of each official's 70 regular season games, I would be surprised if 20 are in the closest NHL city to their home. They are lucky to see their families 3 days a week. That alone makes them deserve half the money players make...and there's only roughly 70 of them compared to 700 players.

But we don't think about that with officials, now do we? They are just the evil men in stripes whose capabilities can be judged by the average fan.

hockeytown9321 said:
Sure the refs aren't "taking" someone elses job. What they don't tell you is those jobs haven't been offered.

No **** they haven't been offered. NHL officials stated before the lockout even happened that they wouldn't take jobs in other leagues.

You seem to think you know all about what makes an official good. So justify your statements and tell us what association/league you officiate or work with officiating for.

NHL officials are on NHL contracts for a reason. They are the best of the best.

YellHockey*

Van said:
NHL referees pay issues isn't just about on-ice performance either. They live the same lifestyle as the players. In fact, they see more hotels because out of each official's 70 regular season games, I would be surprised if 20 are in the closest NHL city to their home. They are lucky to see their families 3 days a week. That alone makes them deserve half the money players make...and there's only roughly 70 of them compared to 700 players.

One advantage the officials have is that their career, I suspect, is longer on average then the average NHLer.

Lots of people have jobs that require plenty of travel and don't earn as much as NHL officials do. Plus they don't have a three month vacation in the summer.

BCCHL inactive

BlackRedGold said:
One advantage the officials have is that their career, I suspect, is longer on average then the average NHLer.

Lots of people have jobs that require plenty of travel and don't earn as much as NHL officials do. Plus they don't have a three month vacation in the summer.

That still doesn't tell us why a player earning an average NHL player salary is making roughy 10 times what an official earning the average NHL official salary.

I think it would be fair if the average player made twice as much as the average official. In other words, if the average player salary is $1.5M, the average officials salary should be $750k. Hell, even $500k average would be acceptable....but not down near $150k while the average player takes in close to $1.5M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad