Prospect Info: At 9th Overall the Detroit Red Wings Select Michael Rasmussen

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
I almost want to report this. Can I report this?

Ehehehehe

To be fair, I do think Rasmussen has shown noted improvement and has honestly surpassed most expectations we as a fan base had for him the past two years.

Many were saying he wouldn’t be an NHLer, but he had 15 g and was learning to throw bis body around. Obviously he went too early in the draft but I see a solid 500+ game NHL career out of him. Genuinely useful NHLer

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Listen here @OgeeOgelthorpe, if all that he becomes is. 15-15 player, I stand by my assessment with who was left around him. If he becomes a 20-30 player, your giggles will make me feel shame.
You gotta love Ogee doing his best necromancer impression, raising our ancient embarrassments from the dead with those time traveling reactions.

I definitely came on too strong after the draft, and I'm actually more hopeful about Ras now than I was then. It may just be the years that I've spent talking myself into liking him, general maturity or the lack of alcohol in my system though. It's funny that he still hasn't gotten any good in front of the net at the NHL level. Looking back, that was the one thing I was sure he'd be better at than he is. Hopefully a breakthrough is coming there

Reactions: Realgud

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
To be fair, I do think Rasmussen has shown noted improvement and has honestly surpassed most expectations we as a fan base had for him the past two years.

Many were saying he wouldn’t be an NHLer, but he had 15 g and was learning to throw bis body around. Obviously he went too early in the draft but I see a solid 500+ game NHL career out of him. Genuinely useful NHLer

I’m just busting their chops. I just saw this thread get revived and thought, “I wonder what treasures this thing holds!”

You gotta love Ogee doing his best necromancer impression, raising our ancient embarrassments from the dead with those time traveling reactions.

I definitely came on too strong after the draft, and I'm actually more hopeful about Ras now than I was then. It may just be the years that I've spent talking myself into liking him, general maturity or the lack of alcohol in my system though. It's funny that he still hasn't gotten any good in front of the net at the NHL level. Looking back, that was the one thing I was sure he'd be better at than he is. Hopefully a breakthrough is coming there

Someone else resurrected this. I just have been getting a chuckle out of the spicy takes and reactions here.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It's funny that he still hasn't gotten any good in front of the net at the NHL level. Looking back, that was the one thing I was sure he'd be better at than he is. Hopefully a breakthrough is coming there

That doesn't even seem to be his role. He never goes there.

But on that one pre-season many light years ago, he went and scored 4 goals.

Reactions: gritdash60

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Looking back in the thread and looking at some of the players people wanted instead, we could have done worse.

The 2017 draft was considered a big miss for the Wings, and yeah, it was a miss for the top 10 pick...

But absolutely it could be worse. Both Ras and Lindstrom are top 30 players from that draft. That's not what you hope for, but it's not a disaster.

Just don't look at the Stars draft for comparison. Our old buddy Jim Nill literally saved his job and the franchise with one draft.

Reactions: Realgud and RRhoads

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Look at it this way, he currently has more value than 4 of the other top 10 picks (Nolan Patrick even if it’s not really his fault, Cody Glass, Lias Andersson, and Owen Tippet). Could possibly surpass Middlestadt too if he gets around par offensively which is well within the realm of possibility.

I think most of us would be happy getting the the 6th best player of the draft’s top 10 @ #9
🤫

• Haha
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
So Carley interviewed Rasmussen and her fun fact is that she's...deaf in her right ear.

Okay, which one of you got the moose tattoo?

Good interview, thanks for posting.

Ras is working out pretty well. I wanted Necas, but preached patience on Ras. Still preaching patience. Glad he's showing some promise.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
The 2017 draft was considered a big miss for the Wings, and yeah, it was a miss for the top 10 pick...

But absolutely it could be worse. Both Ras and Lindstrom are top 30 players from that draft. That's not what you hope for, but it's not a disaster.

Just don't look at the Stars draft for comparison. Our old buddy Jim Nill literally saved his job and the franchise with one draft.
Heiskanen, Oettinger and Robertson were great picks for sure.

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
I don't understand people who shit on Rasmussen, he actually has a change to become a decent bottom6 player. Veleno on the other hand i think is like remnant of the past, Wings sucked so bad when we picked him, and even more the following season that a fire hydrant would've been an upgrade to the roster. I think people who think Veleno has a future in the NHL are delusional.

Rasmussen has been developing steadily, and he had times when he looked solid last season. Veleno on the other hand has had 1 good season in the Q 4 seasons ago, and thats gonna be the highlight of his career.

I mean Veleno had 8 less points than Seider in the SHL in 20-21 while playing 5 more games. Im completely lost why people still think he will become a NHL player.

Ok, not probably the best thread for my Veleno hate speech, but i spoke a bit about Ras as well!

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

That's like when people try to tell me the Kyle Quincey trade didn't suck because he was a "minute muncher"

1__Jennifer-Lawrence.gif

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
The 2017 draft was awful for everyone except Colorado. Maybe one of the worst ever.

2018 is looking worse so far. But I think once some of the 2nd and 3rd round guys start to make it that may change.

The 2017 draft was pretty hit or miss from #6 to on but there were a few gems that came out of it like Nick Robertson, Drake Batherson, Robert Thomas, Josh Norris, Alexandre Texier, Nick Hague and Mario Ferraro.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Looking back in the thread and looking at some of the players people wanted instead, we could have done worse.
Yeah, I absolutely did not like the pick and wanted Vilardi. Vilardi is another guy who cannot play center while also not being able to stay healthy. Chalk a W up for the Necas Stans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->