Prospect Info: At 9th Overall the Detroit Red Wings Select Michael Rasmussen

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Better yet, that moment when Brendan Smith almost made the 200 IQ level decision to fight Chara.

Chara isn't actually a very good fighter. He is better when he fights another giant because he loses his balance a ton when he attempts to fight smaller guys. Fighting Chara if you are under 6'4" is basically a lesson in avoiding his one wild haymaker. He isn't an intimidating fighter at all in my opinion which is a part of why guys are willing to talk to him and trade the five minutes. They aren't actually worried he is going to hurt them fighting.

Smith was a lot of things, he got hurt a few times throwing punches while fighting but he was actually pretty good in terms of balance and knowing what he was doing. I would have endorsed it anyway for the five minute exchange but I have never understood the narrative that Chara was going to obliterate him, it is something Chara hasn't done often and I can hardly remember it against a guy that actually knew what he was doing in a fight.

Only one I can think of is him letting Vinny off the hook in the playoffs, but again that was a lost balance in a brawl situation where if he throws the punch once they are down on the ice Chara is actually a dirty player moving forward.

Rasmussen reminds me a lot of Dave Andreychuk in terms of being this good as a net front guy at such a young age. Now he is unlikely to break the NHL PP goals record that Andreychuk owns. But it is really tough to root him out from in front of the net. Chara or anybody else isn't going to intimidate the kid, he is a very determined player and willing to pay the price to be there.

Last edited:

A Few Good Males

Apr 15, 2018
Detroit, MI
Thinking out loud here: would the Wings let both Rasmussen and Zadina leave the big squad to play at the World Juniors? Could give management a chance to get another look at Svechnikov (and maybe Pope?)

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Chara isn't actually a very good fighter. He is better when he fights another giant because he loses his balance a ton when he attempts to fight smaller guys. Fighting Chara if you are under 6'4" is basically a lesson in avoiding his one wild haymaker. He isn't an intimidating fighter at all in my opinion which is a part of why guys are willing to talk to him and trade the five minutes. They aren't actually worried he is going to hurt them fighting.

Smith was a lot of things, he got hurt a few times throwing punches while fighting but he was actually pretty good in terms of balance and knowing what he was doing. I would have endorsed it anyway for the five minute exchange but I have never understood the narrative that Chara was going to obliterate him, it is something Chara hasn't done often and I can hardly remember it against a guy that actually knew what he was doing in a fight.

Only one I can think of is him letting Vinny off the hook in the playoffs, but again that was a lost balance in a brawl situation where if he throws the punch once they are down on the ice Chara is actually a dirty player moving forward.

Rasmussen reminds me a lot of Dave Andreychuk in terms of being this good as a net front guy at such a young age. Now he is unlikely to break the NHL PP goals record that Andreychuk owns. But it is really tough to root him out from in front of the net. Chara or anybody else isn't going to intimidate the kid, he is a very determined player and willing to pay the price to be there.
Always hated Andreychuk, but if Rasmussen ends up being that frustrating to play against - even if the point totals are noticeably lower - he'll be a major asset.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I'll be the first to admit, I have not watched Rasmussen that much over the past few years except for highlights.

He does seem to possess excellent hand-eye coordination, making him ideal for net front presence. We have not had anything close since Holmstrom.
I keep imagining a Chara with hands in front of the net. Boston did have some success with Chara in front of the net on PP back when Chara was healthy.

With Larkin and Veleno, I would develop Rasmussen into a wing ( power forward type ) on the top two lines, rather than a third line center. In reality, we still need top notch center for the long term.

Winning the Jack Hughes sweepstakes would basically finish our work up front. I am less bullish on Cozens, Dach or Turcotte fixing that completely up front there is a chance they don't slot everyone down a role though I believe in a few of the centers and they have that potential. Dach and Cozens would give us a right-hander should we not be in the top 2 selections that would probably be the focus, they are also massive guys making our size up front even more loaded should it happen. I like Turcotte like Frk It but I lean towards bringing a right-hander into the group if they grade them similarly as scouts. However, Hughes would allow you to shift Rasmussen out to the wing. You run Hughes, Larkin and Veleno down the middle and that is a scary young core down the middle. Waves of speed and playmaking.

Not sure if you can trade a winger for one d-man I think we should be able to. But we are not going to be good this year. I would be surprised if we don't draft top 5. So we should get a quality piece, depending on the draft year developments I think this is likely our last center piece in the rebuild. We hopefully see some positive returns lifting us out of that top 5 range the next year, but likely still top 10 with a good shot at a D-man in the 2020 draft.

Now things could accelerate that, the right UFA signing. I also realize we are talking about at best a 20% chance of Hughes. But landing Hughes means we will be great again in my opinion. It finishes the rebuild up front, gives us trade options and fits a timeline towards building the next great period of Red Wings hockey. Either way, I think we might leave the 2019 draft pretty confident on the forwards. I know we need to fix the back-end but we need difference makers and this draft seems to have them at center. We might just lock that position in and unleash Rasmussen on the wing. He also would allow a Larkin or Hughes/Dach/Cozens to cheat a ton on draws. This is something the Wings did a lot during their great run and it was because they had all those natural centers out on the wing. It allowed us to cheat massively on draws and dominate possession. Rasmussen is a really good faceoff guy is a part of that center projection. But it would also allow us to bingo ball lines as well when the team isn't clicking and line matching playoff implications. I see no issue with him winding up a first line winger and big goal scorer with center flexibility. I like that he can play the middle, but there are ways this rebuild goes where all of a sudden we have Rasmussen/Mantha/Zadina and Bert/Svech/Athanasiou or maybe Berggren as our top 6 wingers, that is a tough group on opposition.

If Rasmussen is forced into being a winger, it means we have fixed the center position. I think he can still play there, but as I watch this rebuild take shape, I am not sure he isn't a dominate first line winger where he is freed up to create massive chaos in the offensive zone and I think he would be a very good 200 foot player still on the wing. Rasmussen at the heart of it is a weapon. He is a tough matchup with a lot to his game. A chalk talk guy that keeps coaches, goalies and opposition D up at night before the game. I really believe he can be that guy and we need those guys to be a really good hockey team again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Thinking out loud here: would the Wings let both Rasmussen and Zadina leave the big squad to play at the World Juniors? Could give management a chance to get another look at Svechnikov (and maybe Pope?)

I think Rasmussen stays the year and is unlikely to be available for Canada. If Zadina starts in GR, I think they will keep him down until after the WJCs and he will be on the Czech team barring a point in a half game pace or something in the AHL right off the bat. But there is a chance both break camp and they won't send them.

If Rasmussen is loaned to the WJCs that usually happens with the player being loaned to his junior team for the rest of the year. I just have doubts they will do that, he would have to really struggle over the opening of the season and I don't think he is in for the roughest transition because he is really developed physically.

Reactions: Jon Cusack

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Excited to see him this season. Going to keep an open mind and see what the big guy can do.

Hab Bateman

Fan of Genesis and Jake Evans
Dec 11, 2008
Eugene, OR
Habs and Tri-City Americans fan here - do you guys see any chance for Rasmussen to be playing in the WHL this year or is he a lock for the big club?

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Thoughts so far on Ras?

He's had a nice stretch or two where he was dangerous around the net, but he's been really underwhelming besides that.

He needs a big off-season of skating and strength training.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
He has shown some good things here and there, lets not for get hes still a kid a bit of time to fill out I think he will be ok. But hes been a ghost as of late.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Thoughts so far on Ras?

He's had a nice stretch or two where he was dangerous around the net, but he's been really underwhelming besides that.

He needs a big off-season of skating and strength training.
Let's at 2017 draft comparables:

Robert Thomas: 2+7 in 24 games
Nolan Patrick: 5+5 in 25 games (30 point rookie season)
Nico Hischier: 6+13 in 25 games
Lias Andersson: 1+2 in 16 games
Owen Tippett: Juniors
Casey Mittlestadt: 4+5 in 31 games
Martin Necas: 1+1 in 7 games
Eeli Tolvanen: 1+1 in 4 games (~0.5PPG in AHL)
Gabe Vilardi: 0+1 in 4 AHL games
Cody Glass: Juniors
Filip Chytil: 5+5 in 30 games

Rasmussen: 5+4 in 30 games

He's not setting the league on fire but other than Hischier and Pettersson there's not really anyone from 2017 doing much better. Rasmussen is overall doing well as a useful player even when not scoring, his net front presence has been influential in a bunch of goals. Solid rookie campaign so far.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
I have been satisified with Ras. Not blown away, but not massively disapointed either outside his first 10 or so games.

His offensive instincts have been meh, but I have liked his all around game, especially how physical he is on the forecheck. I also think he would benefit greatly from getting a few games with one of our more talented lines*, as the Ras-Glen-2zi line is being used as a checking line. I am not sure if I like him and Bertuzzi on the same line, as neither are overly talented playmakers on their own, but instead rely on crashing the net and finishing plays. The two seem superfluous on the same line.

If he could go to the A, I would consider moving him there, but overall for his rookie season I see nothing overly concerning. His strengths are his strengths, and I can see him only getting stronger. He was never the type of player to wow you with a highlight real goal, but I do still expect him to be a great net front man

*I think this scenario would be better for Rasmussen personally, am unsure of it being better foe the team.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
I have been satisified with Ras. Not blown away, but not massively disapointed either outside his first 10 or so games.

His offensive instincts have been meh, but I have liked his all around game, especially how physical he is on the forecheck. I also think he would benefit greatly from getting a few games with one of our more talented lines*, as the Ras-Glen-2zi line is being used as a checking line. I am not sure if I like him and Bertuzzi on the same line, as neither are overly talented playmakers on their own, but instead rely on crashing the net and finishing plays. The two seem superfluous on the same line.

If he could go to the A, I would consider moving him there, but overall for his rookie season I see nothing overly concerning. His strengths are his strengths, and I can see him only getting stronger. He was never the type of player to wow you with a highlight real goal, but I do still expect him to be a great net front man

*I think this scenario would be better for Rasmussen personally, am unsure of it being better foe the team.

Really? I think the opposite is true. They seem to be working well together by grinding opponents down and chipin in a greasy goal here and there. On a few nights the eye test seemed to indicate, to me, that the Ras / Glenny / Bert line was the best line. Not nearly every game mind you, but enough to warrant praise.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
He's been about as I expected this year. Not as strong as he will be, but still pretty tough to seperate from the puck, he's finished some opportunities in front, and he's doing fine defensively. He hasn't shown high-end vision, skill, or playmaking but expecting those things from him at this point (and in general tbh) is pretty unfair. Give him some time and he'll grow into the NHL but also keep your expectations realistic with Moose. He's a big boy that scores dirty goals. I think he's showing that he can/will be able to do that pretty well as he grows into his body and gets used to being an NHL player.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
The reality is he should be in the AHL but because of the stupid rules he can't.

It would be a waste of time for him to be in juniors again so this is the next best thing even if he isn't setting the world on fire.

Reactions: jkutswings

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
The reality is he should be in the AHL but because of the stupid rules he can't.

It would be a waste of time for him to be in juniors again so this is the next best thing even if he isn't setting the world on fire.

Trial by fire may be the best route for the kid.
I agree juniors would be wasted development time but disagree that he should be in the AHL.
He doesnt seem out of place in the bigs. He thinks the game well enough, works hard and goes to dirty areas.
I'm of the opinion that this year with Detroit will show him how hard he has to train this off season to bulk up.
A big summer from this kid and next year he could be much better.

Reactions: Ulysses31

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
I still think he would have been better off going back to junior and playing center all year, working on being a more dominant offensive force than just relying on tipping pucks and dirty goals for his production. Wanted to see him drive a line, rush pucks end to end, show some creativity offensively, work on his shot. His toolbox is very limited right now and not likely going to improve much being rushed into the NHL when he’s clearly not ready. Hope I’m wrong but I don’t get a good vibe about him ever being anything more than a decent top 6-9 W. Not exactly what you’re looking for with the 9th overall pick.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I still think he would have been better off going back to junior and playing center all year, working on being a more dominant offensive force than just relying on tipping pucks and dirty goals for his production. Wanted to see him drive a line, rush pucks end to end, show some creativity offensively, work on his shot. His toolbox is very limited right now and not likely going to improve much being rushed into the NHL when he’s clearly not ready. Hope I’m wrong but I don’t get a good vibe about him ever being anything more than a decent top 6-9 W. Not exactly what you’re looking for with the 9th overall pick.

I was very bullish on this for the last six months or so.

JoesuffP

Feb 3, 2016
I think Ras was drafted in hopes of being a specialized player that could put up crazy numbers by his work in front of the net. He should be very good cycling the puck and winning battles but he really needs to work on his skating

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad