Prospect Info: At 9th Overall the Detroit Red Wings Select Michael Rasmussen

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I think when people hear net front they think "lol Holmstrom was bad at hockey but good at standing in front of the goalie". But yea there is no reason a good net front guy can't also do other things.
You mean this isn't the required uniform for a net front role?

pylon-logo1.jpg

Reactions: snailderby

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Not arguing your point, but Helm is really never on the PP.

This year wasnt so bad but the year before, Helm and Sheahan combined for 2 mins a game on the PP almost. There always seems to be a guy out there that shouldnt be, adding Rasmussen frees up Mantha to take one of those spots

I think when people hear net front they think "lol Holmstrom was bad at hockey but good at standing in front of the goalie". But yea there is no reason a good net front guy can't also do other things.

Yeah and even Holmstrom didnt get enough credit for his play outside of the crease front. He rarely scored from anywhere besides there but he was great in the corners and puck retrieval for the skilled guys and played decently physical out there as well.

Reactions: Sadekuuro

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Would pay good money to watch Rasmussen and Quinn Hughes drop the gloves. Reminiscent of watching Nate Robinson jumping into Shaq's arms.

Reactions: Larkin1578

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Better yet, that moment when Brendan Smith almost made the 200 IQ level decision to fight Chara.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Apparently Rasmussen had a really nice assist in this game but the highlights didnt show it. It was funny watching him going into a scrum with the Hughes brothers, they would need stilts to hit him lol

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Did see one period of Rasmussen.

- Scored a goal
- Did cut the offensive pressure from Quinn Hughes with his long reach on the Defensive zone.
- Assisted a High-Danger chance for Cody Glass from behind the goal.
- Was banged against boards, and no stick on use. Did kick the puck away and go it back after few seconds and got a shot on goal.

Seems to make some smart play always.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Did see one period of Rasmussen.

- Scored a goal
- Did cut the offensive pressure from Quinn Hughes with his long reach on the Defensive zone.
- Assisted a High-Danger chance for Cody Glass from behind the goal.
- Was banged against boards, and no stick on use. Did kick the puck away and go it back after few seconds and got a shot on goal.

Seems to make some smart play always.

I watched the whole game against Finland and youre right about his reach. He almost seemed Datsyukesque out there and had a lot of takeaways from behind on guys.

Hes going to create a lot of turnovers

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
The latest numbers I've seen for Ras is that he is 6'7". Is that true??? That's a monster of a kid.

Where did you see this?

He had 2 goals and an assist for Canada in te showcase this weekend to lead the team I believe. One goal and an assist for McIsaac as well.. some people penciling him in to Canadas top 4 for the WJC

Christien

May 1, 2010
I believe he’ll be one of the best, if not the best net front player in the league pretty soon. His hand-eye coordination and size is special. He’s just one of those kids that wants it and works for it.

I admit, like a lot of people I was pretty disappointed with the pick at the time, but not anymore.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Awwww, they're so cute :)

Rasmussen's hand-eye coordination, combined with his size, makes him more dangerous around the net.
"Once I got old enough that we had shots from the point, I started working on tipping them in front," he said. "You don't try to aim it, just change the direction."
Rasmussen also enjoyed playing with Zadina.
"[He] is obviously highly skilled," Rasmussen said. "He can really shoot and he gets himself into good positions. It is going to be fun."
Zadina was equally excited playing alongside Rasmussen.
"He's an unbelievable player," Zadina said. "He's strong and knows how to pass the puck. We play well together."

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Where did you see this?

He had 2 goals and an assist for Canada in te showcase this weekend to lead the team I believe. One goal and an assist for McIsaac as well.. some people penciling him in to Canadas top 4 for the WJC
Wikipedia and google list him at 6'7"

Eliteprospects, NHL.com, Hockey Reference, HockeyDB and basically every other publication have him listed at 6'6"

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Awwww, they're so cute :)

Zadina said. "He's strong and knows how to pass the puck. We play well together."

HF posters on the main board like to say his passing is 'subpar' (paraphrased), but I've seen no indication RAS passing is bad. I've always seen his passing and vision as another one of his GREAT assets. Apparently Zadina likes his passing.

I think RAS has to be, by far, the most underrated prospect drafted in 2017 entry draft.

I think this is proof people reading random scouting reports as bible literature and have no ability to form their own opinions and/or don't watch players before posting nonsense.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Where did you see this?

McIssac is essentially a lock baring incredible circumstances. He’s been selected by Team Canada for pretty much every showcase since 15 and is a known commodity to them

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
McIssac is essentially a lock baring incredible circumstances. He’s been selected by Team Canada for pretty much every showcase since 15 and is a known commodity to them

All the while playing like a future top 10 pick though. Then he had his first down year which saw him fall out of the first round and is now competing for the U-20 team which is Canadas biggest competition (outside of Olympic years). Hes also still a year younger and Canada is notorious for not bringing guys that young.

But this year the whole defense is going to be young and hes likely their best option for a defensive guy/Pker. He'll likely make the team but hes definitely not a lock yet either. I think hes more likely than not to make it at this point but theres only 3 locks on the defense.. Dobson, Bouchard and Smith

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Based on the summer camps Pronman did a “for fun” WJHC/U20 roster project and has Rasmussen and Veleno making Team Canada. He did not mention McIsaac making the team.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Based on the summer camps Pronman did a “for fun” WJHC/U20 roster project and has Rasmussen and Veleno making Team Canada. He did not mention McIsaac making the team.

I would be more surprised if Veleno made it than if McIsaac did actually. But Veleno is a hockey Canada guy like McIsaac so its not that far fetched. He needs to start the season like he ended last one if he wants a shot though

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
I'll be the first to admit, I have not watched Rasmussen that much over the past few years except for highlights.

He does seem to possess excellent hand-eye coordination, making him ideal for net front presence. We have not had anything close since Holmstrom.
I keep imagining a Chara with hands in front of the net. Boston did have some success with Chara in front of the net on PP back when Chara was healthy.

With Larkin and Veleno, I would develop Rasmussen into a wing ( power forward type ) on the top two lines, rather than a third line center. In reality, we still need top notch center for the long term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad