Prospect Info: At 9th Overall the Detroit Red Wings Select Michael Rasmussen

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
God no. Stop wasting manthas talents, he isn't a net front guy.
If you watch him play closely you will see he is a beast in front of the net and down low. (Getzlaf type )

That is why the coaching staff has him playing that position. When Mo is on his game is he is banging in pucks on the power play. I have no idea what your issue with it is.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
If you watch him play closely you will see he is a beast in front of the net and down low. (Getzlaf type )

That is why the coaching staff has him playing that position. When Mo is on his game is he is banging in pucks on the power play. I have no idea what your issue with it is.

Mantha is great as a shooter and a net front guy. If Rasmussen can replace his offense net front and it allows Mantha to play as shooter thats even better though. That means less time for a guy like Helm on the PP

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Mantha is great as a shooter and a net front guy. If Rasmussen can replace his offense net front and it allows Mantha to play as shooter thats even better though. That means less time for a guy like Helm on the PP

I agree Mantha has a hell of a shot. I just don't see the coaching staff moving him away from net front. We seem to a two power play units that play equal time.

Another pro to Mo and Ras playing net front is their size and reach is extreamly useful in puck retrieval .

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I agree Mantha has a hell of a shot. I just don't see the coaching staff moving him away from net front. We seem to a two power play units that play equal time.

Another pro to Mo and Ras playing net front is their size and reach is extreamly useful in puck retrieval .

Your points are fair, and Mantha has really developed his net front skill set over the past few years. But, at a certain point you need to let your shooters shoot, and we are running out of capable shooters. Nyquist's contract is almost up and might be traded. Frk and Athanasiou are both not under contracts and might not be part of the long term plans. Zetterberg might have only one year. If you want to start running out people like Helm or Abdelkader on the powerplay to shoot the puck, you're going to have the worst powerplay in the league. Abdelkader or Bertuzzi are more than capable of playing net front on a power play unit. Mantha is a better shot than he is a brute down low, so you are doing everyone a disservice by not maxing his potential.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Can he be Blake Wheeler-esque on the wing? Wheeler is an absolute horse. Dude is fast, strong, excellent playmaker and along the boards and is a lean 6'5 220ish lbs was drafted as a C too

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Can he be Blake Wheeler-esque on the wing? Wheeler is an absolute horse. Dude is fast, strong, excellent playmaker and along the boards and is a lean 6'5 220ish lbs was drafted as a C too

I see this as a likely ceiling for him if he stays on wing. He went from pretty pedestrian production as a C to amazing production when allowed to play wing.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I see this as a likely ceiling for him if he stays on wing. He went from pretty pedestrian production as a C to amazing production when allowed to play wing.
just to add, also a tremendous leader.... as a wings and jets fan, if Moose ends up with similar characteristics as Wheeler with 3/4's of the productivity that'd be a major boon for the team

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Taken from prospect thread

I’d say a cross between Hanzal (similar skating ability/puck protection/ back checking responsibleness) and Anders Lee (hands around the net, shot, strength advantage) in terms of offensive skills. I’ve seen JVR comparisons, but He doesn’t have JVR’s hands in terms of puck handling ability, but he is a near immovable object in front of the net and has excellent hand eye coordination to redirect and out muscle players for rebounds. He also has a good shot, and seemingly good vision, but often times his passes are a bit off, which really holds him back. I’d almost compare it to when big men in the NBA struggle with shooting free throws because they are too strong. Often times you can see him have the right idea of where to pass, but have it come too fast or a bit ahead of the play. His backhand passing is much better. This actually is encouraging as a way as it could be something he gets more used to. He gained 8 inches and 70lbs in 4 years, takes a bit to get used to how strong he is now.

I think he’ll be a more goals than assist type of guy. He’s not what I consider especially mean or nasty, but he is tough in regards to willingness to pay the price to make the game and had fought to defend teammates, strong on the boards, and is imo one of the best if not best pure athlete in the last draft. Dude moves very, very, quickly for a man his size. I’d say he’s faster than Mantha who has good top end speed when not floating.

My genuine expectation of him: defensively responsible second line center/power play booster with 25-30 goal and 20 assist potential.​

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I’d say a cross between Hanzal (similar skating ability/puck protection/ back checking responsibleness) and Anders Lee (hands around the net, shot, strength advantage) in terms of offensive skills.
I think he’ll be a more goals than assist type of guy.
My genuine expectation of him: defensively responsible second line center/power play booster with 25-30 goal and 20 assist potential.

I sign off on this.

I’d say he’s faster than Mantha who has good top end speed when not floating.

Disagree here, though.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Larkin had nearly 50 assists without any pure scorers on his wings...

No, see, even though Larkin had more even-strength points than a player like Crosby or Tavares, there's no way he'll be an effective power point player once the team gets better.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
There's no doubt he's a great playmaker. Wasn't trying to say he wasn't.

I'm saying we have a good crop of forwards and could use another playmaker. An east-west type.

Wright said he wanted to add those guys this year, and I think Zadina, Veleno, and Berggren fit that bill.

Zadina may not be a playmaker first guy, but he’s incredibly slippery and is going to pull (or beat) defenseman like crazy.

FZadina1020.gif

FZadina0317.gif

Last edited:

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Mantha is great as a shooter and a net front guy. If Rasmussen can replace his offense net front and it allows Mantha to play as shooter that's even better though. That means less time for a guy like Helm on the PP

Not arguing your point, but Helm is really never on the PP.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I think when people hear net front they think "lol Holmstrom was bad at hockey but good at standing in front of the goalie". But yea there is no reason a good net front guy can't also do other things.

Reactions: BinCookin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->