Prospect Info: At 9th Overall the Detroit Red Wings Select Michael Rasmussen

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Stats are not everything. Putting up numbers in junior does not indicate how you will produce at the pro level. Yes... talent will score points but some players peak in junior and cant sniff the score sheet in the pros. While other players take longer to develop. Check out Ryan Getzlaf stats from the WHL.... barely got a PPG in his 2nd year post draft. Lets see how the big kid develops by the time hes 22 or 23.

Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Its because he had a lackluster 50 game regular season, then suddenly he has a great 6 game playoff run and suddenly everyones all like SEE I TOLD YOU SO RASMUSSEN WAS SUCH AN AWESOME PICK I LOVE HOLLAND I TOLD U SO!!!!!. No **** people arent sold on him.

We all want him to do well. Him playing well for a 6 game stretch doesn't mean much. If he continues to produce like this for an entire run then yeah, that's when you start to reshape your opinion on him.

I wouldn't call his regular season lackluster at all. I guess that's where we disagree.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yeah he's doing great these playoffs. I still would have liked to see more improvement in the regular season, but dominating the playoffs is a good sign. I hope he can keep it up.

It probably helps that it is the first time his wrist has been healthy in a couple years.

I think Rasmussen is going to be a very good player and is a tough matchup for anyone. Those concerned about this just being about his size need to start appreciating he is a massive guy in the NHL as well, not just junior.

Reactions: 21 Savage

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Which is good, but not great, for that specific league in that specific year.
40 goals in 53 games is pretty good. I mean I'm no expert but I certainly wouldn't look at that as only "good" production.

But I'm at a loss at what Ras needs to do in order to get some credit. Score like Heponiemi in the regular season maybe? Because then scoring zero goals in 23 playoff games doesn't seem to be at all a problem.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Including Mantha I've wondered if the Wings were looking at Bjugstad/Barkov in Florida as something they wanted to emulate. I think you want to have some players with size to create a healthy, balanced team.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
Including Mantha I've wondered if the Wings were looking at Bjugstad/Barkov in Florida as something they wanted to emulate. I think you want to have some players with size to create a healthy, balanced team.
And look at all success they’ve had. Speed wins games in this NHL, not size. What “Big” guys does Pittsburgh have that have really contributed to their success?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
And look at all success they’ve had. Speed wins games in this NHL, not size. What “Big” guys does Pittsburgh have that have really contributed to their success?
Pittsburgh is the last team I’d try to emulate. Replace Crosby and Malkin with two players that are simply top 10-15 in the world instead of top 2 and they win nothing.

Reactions: mantha39 and kliq
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
40 goals in 53 games is pretty good. I mean I'm no expert but I certainly wouldn't look at that as only "good" production.
You're not understanding. You cannot judge any prospect in any league without making reference to how other players in that league are doing. 100 points is great if everybody else has 80. 100 points is disappointing if everyone else has 120. Proclaiming "100 points is pretty good!" is context-free nonsense. It's just cheerleading.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI

That's a good point. I'd still consider the mix a lot of good teams have. Myers/Wheeler/Byfuglin/Laine. Kopitar/Carter. Hedman and Coburn in Tampa. Again Florida may be the definition of bubble but I don't think their building strategy is terrible. A couple good picks or moves and they could be in the contender discussions sometime here.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Imagine the anger if Vilardi was averaging over 3 points per game in the playoffs.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
You're not understanding. You cannot judge any prospect in any league without making reference to how other players in that league are doing. 100 points is great if everybody else has 80. 100 points is disappointing if everyone else has 120. Proclaiming "100 points is pretty good!" is context-free nonsense. It's just cheerleading.

Interesting point. He's hovering around 24th in points-per-game. Which puts him at about where Austin Matthews, John Tavaras and Aleksander Barkov are in the NHL among their peers.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
There’s a flip side to not using context too. Dude battled injuries and no one on his team was top 25 in scoring. He led his team in PPG and compared to a lot of the top scorers actually plays defense.

Its because he had a lackluster 50 game regular season, then suddenly he has a great 6 game playoff run and suddenly everyones all like SEE I TOLD YOU SO RASMUSSEN WAS SUCH AN AWESOME PICK I LOVE HOLLAND I TOLD U SO!!!!!. No **** people arent sold on him.

We all want him to do well. Him playing well for a 6 game stretch doesn't mean much. If he continues to produce like this for an entire run then yeah, that's when you start to reshape your opinion on him.
Some people are too quick to make him out to be a great pick, but it’s just because of the extreme amount of negativity and outright hate towards him.
As for ”6 games” people are perfectly fine taking 5-7 games at the WJC as all evidence needed that Necas is a superstar or a summer showcase as evidence Vilardi is a star. Gotta love how sample sizes only matter sometimes.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Yeah, all of this.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Some people are too quick to make him out to be a great pick, but it’s just because of the extreme amount of negativity and outright hate towards him.

No one 'hates' the kid, stop being so dramatic. People just don't think he was worth the selection at that spot since he looks more like a Bjugstad than a guy who you can really build around. Plenty of time for him to develop, but he's not an exciting prospect right now.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
No one 'hates' the kid, stop being so dramatic. People just don't think he was worth the selection at that spot since he looks more like a Bjugstad than a guy who you can really build around. Plenty of time for him to develop, but he's not an exciting prospect right now.

"Helm with hands"

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Not sold on him. All his goals are scored as tip ins, simply because he’s a big guy and can easily dominate the front of the net in these leagues. Won’t be the case in pros. We shouldn’t have wasted a pick on a guy who at best will turn out to be a poor man’s Holmstrom.

At best a poor man's Holmstrom!?!

You do know that Homer was an awful skater, couldn't pass well for the first half of his career, wasn't a face-off guy, was poor defensively, and was 6 inches shorter and 20lbs lighter than Rasmussen is already when at his biggest.

Rasmussen is already better than Homer in terms of most of the above, and Homer put up more than 0.5ppg over 1000 games. Rasmussen isn't flashy, isn;t particularly exciting, and probably will never be elite. But if he has luck with injuries, the early signs are that he could have a very productive NHL career, particularly as his maturity, work ethic and focus are all constantly talked up by all observers, thus increasing his chances of improvement.

Given that we haven't had a really good net front guy since Homer, if Ras can translate his skill in that area to the NHL, while remaining a pretty good skater, defensively responsible, winning face-offs and being an ok set-up guy, he may be a huge asset to us.

At worse it will allow Mantha to play to his strengths on the PP rather than being re-cast simply because he is big!

Reactions: NickH8

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Uhm tons of people hate/hated the pick. Their words.

Bjugstad seems like a lazy comparison, but even a slightly better Bjugstad is a very good player.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London

But I'm at a loss at what Ras needs to do in order to get some credit. Score like Heponiemi in the regular season maybe? Because then scoring zero goals in 23 playoff games doesn't seem to be at all a problem.

To be fair, I wanted us to pick him with our 2nd round pick....

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London

Its certainly the case that Detroit has REALLY struggled to contain goalscoring centers with size since Feds left. Jordan Staal, Bjugstad & even Brian bloody Boyle have given us all kinds of problems over the last decade, let alone the likes of Kopitar etc.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Malkin? Size may not be his primary attribute but he's bigger than any center we've had since Primeau

In all seriousness though, and ideal roster should have some big guys who can skate along with with a few absolute burners. With Larks, AA & for the mo Helm, we're doing Ok with speed up front. What we REALLY need is competent D, playmakers and one more real goalscoring winger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->