Prospect Info: At 9th Overall the Detroit Red Wings Select Michael Rasmussen

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Everything you just said is why I didn't want to draft him in the first place, but it's not like his story is already set in stone. Let's see what happens next year before writing him off.

Everyone got very down on Kieffer Bellows and Pierre-Luc Dubois in their +1 seasons, and both bounced back with great +2 seasons. A +1 benchmark is just a +1 benchmark.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
we also don't know how much his various injury issues have affected his season. He was in and out of the lineup a bit, and that couldn't have been easy. It wouldn't be crazy to suggest his numbers would be a bit better if he had been healthy this year. I'm all for him in Detroit next year.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
we also don't know how much his various injury issues have affected his season. He was in and out of the lineup a bit, and that couldn't have been easy. It wouldn't be crazy to suggest his numbers would be a bit better if he had been healthy this year. I'm all for him in Detroit next year.

Does it matter to you if he’s playing center or not?

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I suppose at the end of the day, Rasmussen is not really a skill guy. (Even if I desperately want him to develop into one.) He has enough ability to put up some points, but in the end it's about his size and strength down low and in front of the net. I think that's how Detroit views it, too, so they probably won't want to hold him back. I'd be pleasantly surprised if they did, though. I'm still holding out for that Ryan Getzlaf scenario.

Reactions: lidstromiscool

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Does it matter to you if he’s playing center or not?

In his first year? Not really. He could come up, play on someone's wing, sub in at center on occasion and get his feet wet. Figure he could do that next year and the following year maybe Z gets moved to wing full time and we run Larkin-Nielsen-Ras up the middle. Long term I want him to be at center.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I suppose at the end of the day, Rasmussen is not really a skill guy. (Even if I desperately want him to develop into one.) He has enough ability to put up some points, but in the end it's about his size and strength down low and in front of the net. I think that's how Detroit views it, too, so they probably won't want to hold him back. I'd be pleasantly surprised if they did, though. I'm still holding out for that Ryan Getzlaf scenario.
Not going to happen. Ryan was always elite. He should not have fallen in his draft year.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
In his first year? Not really. He could come up, play on someone's wing, sub in at center on occasion and get his feet wet. Figure he could do that next year and the following year maybe Z gets moved to wing full time and we run Larkin-Nielsen-Ras up the middle. Long term I want him to be at center.

True, I suppose a wing to center transition would be fine, worked well with Larkin. I see him as a center long term.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
True, I suppose a wing to center transition would be fine, worked well with Larkin. I see him as a center long term.

We saw it with Flip, too. And Z. If we could send him to GR, I'd have been open to that as well but it's either the Wings or the WHL. He's going to get to a point where he's going to be so much bigger and more experienced than everyone he's against that I think he won't have to work as hard to get his production.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Excited to see what he can do in camp next season. Hopefully he has a good healthy summer. Maybe he won't be the flashiest guy but I can't wait to see his size and net front ability paired with Larkin, Mantha and AA.

Not going to happen. Ryan was always elite. He should not have fallen in his draft year.
Barring some unforseen circumstance Rasmussen should outproduce Getzlaf's d+2 season in less games. Does it say anything? No, not really. Worth noting though..

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
The only reason to keep Ras down in junior is if he is still trying to get back to full health after his injury issues. Otherwise it'll be another year of reinforcing bad habits a la Mantha

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Yep I've no doubt that Rasmussen is in Detroit this coming fall, He came pretty close to making it last fall and he's playing pretty well in Tri-City with several games missed due to his wrist injury.

Usually these players who will be send back are not physically ready or can't play defence at bottom6.

Either case isn't a problem for Rasmussen. He has already a man's body, knows how to defence amd he his reach is a great defensive weapon.

Imo, his career path could remind Franzen's. First 2 seasons as bottom6 guy and then a top6 guy.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Stats arn't everything. I grew up around Ryan in good old Regina Sask and it's clear that Ras doesn't have that skill.
Ahh, the true indicator of a prospect: how close you live to them and how cool you can feel pretending like you're on a first name basis.

Anyone have good stories of playing with Mike growing up?

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Ahh, the true indicator of a prospect: how close you live to them and how cool you can feel pretending like you're on a first name basis.

Anyone have good stories of playing with Mike growing up?
Whats your problem? You think Ras is better then Getzlaf? Do you want me to PM some pictures of us? Do you want to see how many hockey games I see in a year. It's like I can't comment a thing here without getting ripped apart by all you hockey experts.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Whats your problem? You think Ras is better then Getzlaf? Do you want me to PM some pictures of us? Do you want to see how many hockey games I see in a year. It's like I can't comment a thing here without getting ripped apart by all you hockey experts.
I'm just saying that if you think living near a guy gives you some inside info, not having the same inside info on Mike makes the comparison kind of pointless.

What if Mike is dangling more in pickup games than Ryan ever did despite not having jaw dropping stats?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Getzlaf was ranked top 5 by Central Scouting in his draft season, but fell due to skating concerns. He's more similar to that guy we passed on, if anything.

I still think Anders Lee is the best comp for Rasmussen amongst current NHL'ers, who is working on back to back 30 goal seasons FWIW.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Usually these players who will be send back are not physically ready or can't play defence at bottom6.

Either case isn't a problem for Rasmussen. He has already a man's body, knows how to defence amd he his reach is a great defensive weapon.

Imo, his career path could remind Franzen's. First 2 seasons as bottom6 guy and then a top6 guy.

Franzen's first year in the NHL was at age 26. Next year, Rasmussen will be 19 years old...:huh:

JustJokinenAround

just a goofball
Feb 5, 2018
a local rink
Yep I've no doubt that Rasmussen is in Detroit this coming fall, He came pretty close to making it last fall and he's playing pretty well in Tri-City with several games missed due to his wrist injury.
He would fit well playing with Larkin I think. The skating would be a slight concern but Larkin could use a guy in front of the net with some hands.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad