Prospect Info: At 9th Overall the Detroit Red Wings Select Michael Rasmussen

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Yup, I wanted Kuz, too. I know why Detroit and all the other teams wouldn't touch him with a 10-foot pole. He was the perfect situation for Washington, and even they took a gamble... which ultimately paid off (despite the fact they haven't won a cup).

Would have been a perfect "gamble" for Detroit, where could have been Datsyuk's understudy.

Evgeny Kuznetsov’s success this season is owed in part to his friend Pavel Datsyuk

But on that trip to Joe Louis Arena, when Red Wings center Pavel Datsyuk, a Russian-born player like Kuznetsov, asked Trotz about how his compatriot was doing, Trotz told him about the ways Kuznetsov could get better and the areas of his game that needed improving.

“Well, I’ll talk to him,” Trotz recalled Datsyuk saying.
Kuznetsov has known Datsyuk since their time playing together on the Russian national team during the 2012 world championships. “Probably like everyone look up to him, right?” Kuznetsov said Tuesday morning. With the Red Wings in town ahead of Tuesday night’s game, Kuznetsov took Datsyuk to a steakhouse Monday night.

With Washington’s dad’s trip this week, Kuznetsov’s father is in town, so he brought him along to the dinner to meet Datsyuk for the first time.

“He was so excited,” Kuznetsov said with a laugh. “He wanted to sleep at like 5 or 6 o’clock, but when he know we’re going with Pasha for dinner, he says, ‘No, I’m okay.’ ”

Evgeny Kuznetsov Will Play Against His Idol, Pavel Datsyuk, Tonight

“I can’t compare myself to any famous player because he’s already been playing, already accomplished something,” an 18-year-old Kuznetsov said to RMNB at the Capitals’ 2010 Development Camp. “I can only say who I admire, who I watch. I watch Malkin, Datsyuk, how they play, and try to do the same.”

I'm sure it would have been a HUGE gamble to get Kuznetsov to come play with his idol.

Put to rest the idea that Kuznetsov was some risky play.

When you're drafting 21st overall, there's risk involved. Might as well draft the most talented, accomplished kid.

ANd with that - I'm done on this OT tangent.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
That's all conjecture. Even after being drafted by Washington it was a question if he'd still be coming over in 2013. He was quoted saying he would take a 5 year to stay.

But, I've already showed you that article in the past, so whatever.

Reactions: Pavels Dog

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
That's all conjecture. Even after being drafted by Washington it was a question if he'd still be coming over in 2013. He was quoted saying he would take a 5 year to stay.

But, I've already showed you that article in the past, so whatever.

I agree, despite the steak dinner Datsyuk took him out for, he was still too big of a risk. And I'll all but promise you he'd bolted after Datsyuk left.... if not sooner, or if he would have come over at all. He'd play maybe 17 games with the Wings if his career started like it did in Washington.

You're giving up a 21st pick for that? Lol. And that's HFboards "asset management" for ya....

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
2002 was an exciting season. It was nice when they could throw all that money around at all that elite talent. Boy those were the days...

Datsyuk. Zetterberg. Franzen. Lidstrom. Rafalski. Hudler. Filppula. Kronwall. Stuart.
2008 sounds pretty good to me.
Add Hossa in 2009.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
There were plenty of other teams with high payrolls in that era. Detroit also signed a bunch of old players no one wanted that off season.

Yep.

Brett Hull was without a team until August. Then Red Wings signed this "carbage", which didn't interest anybody else.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Ras had a couple of good games, he's a smart playmaker that needs to play with someone that can get open.

Anyone know what wingers he is playing with? I know Tri-City has some good defenseman for him at least, but not sure about their wingers.

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
Rasmussen seems to be playing primarily now with undrafted grinding winger Nolan Yaremko (passed over in two drafts) and undrafted WHL rookie Isaac Johnson. Valimaki has missed about half the season and Bean is going through a bit of an adjustment. Overall, it's not a particularly talented team that might get eliminated in the first round of playoffs, which could put Rasmussen in GR for the entire AHL playoffs and possibly a late-season NHL debut.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Rasmussen seems to be playing primarily now with undrafted grinding winger Nolan Yaremko (passed over in two drafts) and undrafted WHL rookie Isaac Johnson. Valimaki has missed about half the season and Bean is going through a bit of an adjustment. Overall, it's not a particularly talented team that might get eliminated in the first round of playoffs, which could put Rasmussen in GR for the entire AHL playoffs and possibly a late-season NHL debut.

That would be kinda cool, IMO. Getting some WHL/AHL/NHL experience all in one year.

FWIW Isaac Johnson was a top 100 ranked NA skater by Central Scouting for last year's draft, so he may be a decent player.

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
That would be kinda cool, IMO. Getting some WHL/AHL/NHL experience all in one year.

FWIW Isaac Johnson was a top 100 ranked NA skater by Central Scouting for last year's draft, so he may be a decent player.

Yeah I remember looking into Johnson a bit last year, but he has some skating issues and wasn't selected by anyone. He's having a decent season and might be a late-round overage pick this year.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
9 games left on the season. He really needs to heat up and finish on a high note. Right now he’s at 1.25 PPG, which would put him on par with Pavel Zacha and Lawson Crouse in their +1 season.. not really the company we want him to be in.

Although Dubois finished at only 1.22 PPG in his +1 and he looks good so far this year, so it wouldn’t be the end of the world. But it would be nice to see him string some multi-point games together and go out strong.

Reactions: mjtm777

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
9 games left on the season. He really needs to heat up and finish on a high note. Right now he’s at 1.25 PPG, which would put him on par with Pavel Zacha and Lawson Crouse in their +1 season.. not really the company we want him to be in.

Although Dubois finished at only 1.22 PPG in his +1 and he looks good so far this year, so it wouldn’t be the end of the world. But it would be nice to see him string some multi-point games together and go out strong.

There's certainly always hope for him to step up his game next year. Development is different for everyone, but as a whole he was an unimpressive prospect pre-draft and he's been unimpressive since. While I think Zacha and Crouse aren't the best company for him to be in... They're sort of what you'd expect of Rasmussen. A strong finish would be nice, but I don't think it would dramatically change his outlook.

Reactions: mjtm777

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I’m usually in favor of letting prospects cut their teeth, but is starting him in the NHL next year the right move? Especially if Z/Larkin/Nielsen/Glenny basically already have the center spots all locked up?

Maybe we should let the kid finally get 100% healthy and tell him to dominate the WHL and make Canada pick you for the WJC.

I was originally thinking it was a no-brainer, but I don’t know. I could see either one being the right move.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia

Those are exactly the type of players I equated him to, this +1 productive output was exactly what I anticipated. We took a player for his size, not his actual skill. That's always a bad thing.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Those are exactly the type of players I equated him to, this +1 productive output was exactly what I anticipated. We took a player for his size, not his actual skill. That's always a bad thing.
Everything you just said is why I didn't want to draft him in the first place, but it's not like his story is already set in stone. Let's see what happens next year before writing him off.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Season’s not over quite yet. If he puts up 18 pts in his last 9 he will be closer to 1.5 PPG. He may be auditioning for GR at this point, so that might be extra motivation to finish strong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad