Prospect Info: At 9th Overall the Detroit Red Wings Select Michael Rasmussen

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I do not like this pick. I do not like most of the decisions this team makes now-a-days. That is all.

Can't believe we passed on Vilardi.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

jaster

Unregistered User
Jun 8, 2007
Why? Because they have a non-positive opinion? Obviously no one really knows what he'll develop to but people can believe whatever they want.

People can, yep. And it's often ridiculous. People are basically choosing to arbitrarily believe one scout over another, and the get upset about it. It's laughable. (or, even worse, people think they know more about these kids than the scouts they disagree with)

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
People can, yep. And it's often ridiculous. People are basically choosing to arbitrarily believe one scout over another, and the get upset about it. It's laughable. (or, even worse, people think they know more about these kids than the scouts they disagree with)

Lol, so if everyone loved the pick would you be saying they were being ridiculous? C'mon man.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I don't think we are soothsayers, but the people who complain people are being negative obviously didn't follow the pre-draft thread.

Our most vocal and informed posters wanted to stay away from this pick, particularly with a player like Necas on the board.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
Seriously in utter disbelief. We can't score, we can't defend.....we pick a giant question mark center. An Abby replacement.

What is wrong with this management? I just don't can't even comprehend anything anymore.

Reactions: Hatter of the Beach

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Lol, so if everyone loved the pick would you be saying they were being ridiculous? C'mon man.

If they drafted Necas this would be a positive thread about stealing the next Kopitar. People love that kids IQ and that's particularly valued by Wings fans.

Instead we drafted someone who's best quality is size. He might be great! But this reaction is expected, again, if you followed the fans desires leading up to the draft.

jaster

Unregistered User
Jun 8, 2007

Yes I would, and I have in the past. Patience is the only reasonable response. Everything else is being ridiculous.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
If they drafted Necas this would be a positive thread about stealing the next Kopitar. People love that kids IQ and that's particularly valued by Wings fans.

Instead we drafted someone who's best quality is size. He might be great! But this reaction is expected, again, if you followed the fans desires leading up to the draft.

yeah, this is a big part of why I don't like the pick. We should be looking for someone with high end skill. Might be more of a risk because they aren't perfect size or they aren't the fastest guy, but skill has a way of making up for physical short comings to a degree (clearly, I'm not advocating for drafting a super skilled literal midget).

Maybe the guy will surprise, but it seems like we played it overly safe on a guy with a high floor but low ceiling.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Yes I would, and I have in the past. Patience is the only reasonable response. Everything else is being ridiculous.

Sorry, I don't believe you.

Anyway, I have no opinion about the pick, good or bad. But I don't trust the Wings drafting abilities anymore, at least in terms of drafting high level players. So with past history taken into context, I don't expect him to be much better than a 2nd liner.

Leronziia

kenorH
Jan 10, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
I'll wish Michael the best because he is an 18 year old kid trying to realise his dream, good luck mate.

Nonetheless, this is an uninspiring pick and reeks of Holland reacting to the Mrazek saga, picking players with tremendous character that won't necessarily challenge his authority or make his life minimally difficult.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Maybe when we were pulling Johan Ryno from the fifth round out of a swedish junior league. Drafting 9th, it's not hard for folks to zero in on the top prospects, do some research, and form some at least mildly informed opinions of prospects they like/dislike.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
If these Necas and Lilgren kids were so great, then why did they fall so far?

I have a feeling people on the 'inside' have a better understanding about these kids than random message forum posters.

I remember how people were up in arms about Larkin, too. :laugh:

And who knows how far Rasmussen would've fallen if we hadn't taken him this early?

Top Shelfer

Bingo Bango!
Dec 22, 2008
The Motor City
Seriously in utter disbelief. We can't score, we can't defend.....we pick a giant question mark center. An Abby replacement.

What is wrong with this management? I just don't can't even comprehend anything anymore.

Totally agree.
Our defenseman depth is good? lol Hague, Valimaki, Liljegren and Foote not liked with this pick instead, hmmmmmmmmm.

I do like how Kenny is trying to draft bigger players though but beyond sick of hearing him talk about the character of the players he has when the Organization recently publicly ripped Mrazek.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
yeah, this is a big part of why I don't like the pick. We should be looking for someone with high end skill. Might be more of a risk because they aren't perfect size or they aren't the fastest guy, but skill has a way of making up for physical short comings to a degree (clearly, I'm not advocating for drafting a super skilled literal midget).

Maybe the guy will surprise, but it seems like we played it overly safe on a guy with a high floor but low ceiling.

Agreed. When is the last big body safe pick outside the top 5 that exceeded expectations? Most of them seem to struggle to stick because they end up being too slow and can't generate offense.

Having Stars Jamie Oleksiak flashbacks.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I think they pretty much see him as a Mantha like at center. I would have preferred other players, but ohh well, they must really see something in him.

He's much less skilled than Mantha. Worse passer, worse shooter, worse vision, and worse hands. He's just big. That's it.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I wanted him in the system, just not with this pick. It's a reach. A few players I'd have preferred. He wasn't even top of list from Tri City for me, but hope he's a monster mule in the years ahead.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I'm beginning to think not many people on here have ever watched this kid play.

The mismatches he and Mantha create together cannot be duplicated by any other team in the league and he is absolutely a center.

jaster

Unregistered User
Jun 8, 2007
Maybe when we were pulling Johan Ryno from the fifth round out of a swedish junior league. Drafting 9th, it's not hard for folks to zero in on the top prospects, do some research, and form some at least mildly informed opinions of prospects they like/dislike.

That reasoning does not match up with some of posts in this thread.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
He's much less skilled than Mantha. Worse passer, worse shooter, worse vision, and worse hands. He's just big. That's it.

Me thinks you have no clue what you're even talking about

Dennis Schellenberg Hockey Prospectus - Nov. 9th: "A big kid with strong puck protection skills. Works hard all over the ice and has good playmaking skills. Uses his good vision and passing skills to distribute the puck effectively. "

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->