At 6th Overall the Red Wings Take Filip Zadina

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I am not up on CHL rules. I am not suggesting Detroit would allow it, but after the Wings season ends, could Zadina play for Halifax in the Memorial Cup ?

Even if Zadina could play for Halifax he likely wouldn't. He'll be an NHL player. He's not going back to the CHL. There's no reason to go back to a much lower league.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
Off topic but I find it interesting that Hronek seemed to be always touted as the better player between Cholowski and him even from draft day yet was picked much later.

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
Off topic but I find it interesting that Hronek seemed to be always touted as the better player between Cholowski and him even from draft day yet was picked much later.
I don't think it's that unusual. Players outperform/underperform their draft position all the time. For comparison, Hronek was 3rd in PPG among defensemen in the OHL in his D+1 season, whereas Cholowski was 9th in PPG among defensemen in the WHL in his D+2 season. 4 of those players ahead of Cholowski in the WHL were from the same draft year as him (one selected in each the 2nd, 3rd, 7th rounds and another was undrafted). Cholowski's 17/18 season was nowhere near as impressive as the beat writers have tried to paint it.

Reactions: 21 Savage

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

Scouts might have seen that Cholowski is going to have similar speed in a bigger frame once he bulks up. Or he's got a more fluid game or something. There are a million reasons that scouts could determine that they like a part of guy A's game better than another's even if in totality Guy B's at a better level right now.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Cholowski had a tough D1 year playing against a lot older guys than you encounter in the CHL. Hronek also came from pro hockey to the CHL. He really actually should be more advanced when looking at that. I actually am pretty bullish on the fact one if not both are going to be better than the guy Arizona drafted which make me happy. I remain sky high on Cholowski, I think he has a lot to his game. He has put on a ton of weight to me he looks like a minute eating top 4 d-man. I am hopeful these two can actually become a pair. But I bought the WHL package last year to watch Cholowski and Rasmussen and could have not been more pleased. Both players looked a lot better this year and remain really important parts of our future.

Cholowski is rounding into a big boy. He has high hockey IQ, the thing I like most about both these guys is something you used to say about Wings D-man. It looks like both know where they want to go with the puck before it even hits their stick. I am hopeful we get to see both this year, but a lot of that depends on how Cholowski transitions to the AHL. I think it will be a pretty easy transition from what I have seen. He has a pretty good defensive awareness so while not as explosive offensively he trends towards a solid two-way guy for me.

Reactions: Ezekial

turkeyslurpees

Aug 26, 2018
Detroit
Was hoping for my U of M guy Hughes but was ecstatic when Zadina dropped to us. Exactly the type of player we can build around for the next 10 years. Thought we had zero chance at getting him.

Reactions: TheMule93

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
I actually am pretty bullish on the fact one if not both are going to be better than the guy Arizona drafted which make me happy.

Stopped reading here. Will both combined have more value than Chychurn? Quite possibly, but there is literally no arguement for Cholowski to be thought of higher than Chychurn at this point. None whatsoever. He hasn’t even played an AHL game yet...

Liking the chances of him becoming better is rooted in pure homerism

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Stopped reading here. Will both combined have more value than Chychurn? Quite possibly, but there is literally no arguement for Cholowski to be thought of higher than Chychurn at this point. None whatsoever. He hasn’t even played an AHL game yet...

A projection that a guy drafted 20th might turn out better than the guy drafted 16th seems pretty standard.

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
A projection that a guy drafted 20th might turn out better than the guy drafted 16th seems pretty standard.
Maybe right after the draft, but this is years later where we are starting to see what these players are really made of. Currently projecting the 16th overall pick, who has shown much more so far, to end up the better player seems more reasonable.

Reactions: 21 Savage

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Maybe right after the draft, but this is years later where we are starting to see what these players are really made of. Currently projecting the 16th overall pick, who has shown much more so far, to end up the better player seems more reasonable.

Especially when one of them has looked pretty darn solid in the NHL. This isn't a knock or slight on Cholo, who I really like, but if you had to take one of them right now to go forward with I don't know how that guy isn't Chychrun.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Cholowski will be a pleasant surprise when people first time see him playing against NHL talent.

He is just not known. But he is good.

I'm quite sure after 5 pre-season games 90% of people are asking why isn't he on the NHL roster and why do we have so many crap veterans there blocking him etc etc. Holland should get fired etc etc.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Theyre both still young enough for me to say the jury is out. Chychrun hasnt been able to stay healthy in 2 seasons in the NHL so far which was a knock on him in the draft, he also hasnt shown any flashes of a high ceiling and was touted more as a guy thats NHL ready (decent floor, ok ceiling). Its not like Chychrun came in and shut up everyone who had him falling like a Cam Fowler did.

Its fair to say Chychrun is further ahead, he was ahead of 99% of his draft and Cholowski was the classic late bloomer high risk high reward type. Chychrun has shown he can be a number 5 dman in the NHL already but he hasnt set a high bar either. Cholowski should bust, but Chychrun sure as hell isnt going to fix this defense if he was here either. One guy just finished his junior career, its not like theyre exactly years into their careers and Chychrun has shown hes a top 4 dman to compete with. Cholowski has a good shot at being more than a bottom pairing guy, which is all Cychrun is right now so I would wait to judge for a bit

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Cholowski will be a pleasant surprise when people first time see him playing against NHL talent.

He is just not known. But he is good.

I'm quite sure after 5 pre-season games 90% of people are asking why isn't he on the NHL roster and why do we have so many crap veterans there blocking him etc etc. Holland should get fired etc etc.
Your comments imply more certainty than is possible.

You hope he will be good, based on being encouraged by the progress of his game thus far. Which is fine. But it's not like you have a crystal ball.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
So I will go ahead and defend it. Chychurn's fall has the exact problems we are watching in his game. I said I believe in Cholowski and I do. I see an incredibly smart puckmover that has gained an additional level of height and added about 30+ lbs since we drafted him with zero loss in his skating.

When I watch Chychrun, I watch a player that hesitates momentarily to make plays... Maybe he will grow out of that or maybe that is why he has people that feel with those questionable choices that is what is limiting his ceiling. I don't really care. When I say I like Cholowski more it isn't out of some desperate hope it is more actually born out of talking to a few around the game and seeing the reason Chychrun fell a little. Cholo is a really quick decision maker, it is one of the things I like best about his game. It is also in my opinion a hallmark on guys that sink or swim in the league.

I hope our guys do better for sure, not going to lie there. The reason I like Cholowski a ton though is to me he looks like a high IQ player and a late developer in terms of physically. It was the higher upside pick when I look at, I get it and agree with it when I watch both players. Now Chychrun might be Brad Stuart, hey that is a heck of hockey player. But I do think Cholowski has a higher ceiling, even if on draft night I felt differently. Watching both guys I totally understand what the Wings were thinking though and I believe in Cholo. He looks like a really good prospect. Time will tell, but I disagree with posters or people like Pronman selling Cholo short. I see a ton of promise when I have seen him. I like the package of talent he is going to bring next year a lot.

I have come around to those watching Chychrun fall and saying I get it. To me he looks like that perfect #4 on a contender. That solid stay at home guy that doesn't blow chances that are gifted to him but also doesn't generate a ton in terms of stand alone effort. They are important, but through two years I get where the limitations on Chychrun come from, I have seen them when putting on Arizona on center ice.

Last edited:

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I really just feel like Chychrun is super overrated at this point, especially on the super-negative detroit forums.

Dude is like the 4th or 5th best defenseman on his last place team. And puts up offensive numbers at a similar pace of a young Dekeyser or Ericsson. At a certain point you have to look at his last place team and start pointing some fingers for why they can't win hockey games.

Is he ahead of Cholowski right now? Sure, probably. But if your not projecting a ton of development from both of them still, they are massive busts. And if you're projecting development, it's an unknown and you can have your reasons to pick Cholowski

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Not two years later when one has 100 NHL games and a plus rating on a horrible defensive team while the other hasnt even broke the AHL and has had a “good” but not great season in juniors 2 in his d+2

This point you mention about him have 100+ NHL games....

I mean that isn't really saying much.
Brian Lashoff has 100+ NHL games played I think...

I see a giant of a man, who made his NHL team because he is big....
He is playing #5 minutes with these guys playing ahead of him:

Its very easy to say "the NHL player is better". More time is needed IMO, especially when the "other prospect" was not big enough to play in the NHL until around now.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
This point you mention about him have 100+ NHL games....

I mean that isn't really saying much.
Brian Lashoff has 100+ NHL games played I think...

I see a giant of a man, who made his NHL team because he is big....
He is playing #5 minutes with these guys playing ahead of him:

Its very easy to say "the NHL player is better". More time is needed IMO, especially when the "other prospect" was not big enough to play in the NHL until around now.

100+ games as a teenager is a lot different than sporadic use among years.

As of this point, Cholowski is at a point where him playing 100 NHL games isnt even a given. I do believe he will of course, but more promising players have failed to.

Ryan Sproul, for instance, was OHL defenseman of the year in his D+2, and has a very real chance of never hitting the 100 game mark if he doesn't solidify himself this year. If they were in the same draft with the same result at the conclusion of their D+2 seasons, Sproul would be picked by the vast majority of people as the more promising prospect.

Look, I get you’re high on him, that is your right, and from a Wings fan perspective, I personally hope you are right. That doesn’t mean it’s looking likely though. We don’t know how Chychurn would have done in the WHL last year, but I assume most neutral fans think he’d do better. Make a one for one trade thread and see what happens

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad