At 6th Overall the Red Wings Take Filip Zadina

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Drouin, outside of hype, driven narratives, and self induced bad image, is basically a 50 point player in the league. He's still got time to prove himself as a perennial 60-70 guy.

He didn't trade himself for Serg.

Jon Cusack

Oct 28, 2011
Drouin, outside of hype, driven narratives, and self induced bad image, is basically a 50 point player in the league. He's still got time to prove himself as a perennial 60-70 guy.

He didn't trade himself for Serg.

He was unbelievable in juniors, could have made the case to draft him over Mackinnon at the time. I thought he was going to be the player that Johnny Gaudreau is. Elite ppg winger.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
He was unbelievable in juniors, could have made the case to draft him over Mackinnon at the time. I thought he was going to be the player that Johnny Gaudreau is. Elite ppg winger.
MacKinnon was a ~50 point guy until last year too. Much better rookie year than Drouin, though.

MacKinnon is definitely the superior player, I just think Drouin can still be a great nhler. Yakipov "never seemed to translate"

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Here’s a recent Zadina interview translated to English

Expertly translated: Filip Zadina speaks with iSport.cz
Wasn't too much interest into there but I liked hearing that Zadina and Rasmussen are friends. I think Zadina is the type of winger that could cover a lot of Rasmussen's weaknesses and Rasmussen would feast off of Zadina's shots. Putting them with a speedy playmaker could be perfect.

Veleno/Ras-Veleno/Ras-Zadina
Mantha-Larkin-Bertuzzi
Could be a really good top 6 if everyone develops well. I think there's an excellent blend of skill, grit, playmaking, size, shooting and speed on both lines.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I'm not sure if there is any uncertainty about Zadina's eligibility floating around out there but the sports reporter at the Halifax Chronicle Herald now confirming Zadina will not return to the Q.

smaller_HS_normal.JPG

Willy Palov (@WillyPalov)

2018-08-16, 8:16 AM
Mooseheads import update: Marcel Barinka is in Halifax; Samuel Fagemo, Filip Zadina and Otto Somppi are not. Fagemo will attend Coyotes camp in September, Cam Russell said he is "still working on" his status beyond that.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
I'm not sure if there is any uncertainty about Zadina's eligibility floating around out there but the sports reporter at the Halifax Chronicle Herald now confirming Zadina will not return to the Q.

smaller_HS_normal.JPG
Willy Palov (@WillyPalov)
2018-08-16, 8:16 AM
Mooseheads import update: Marcel Barinka is in Halifax; Samuel Fagemo, Filip Zadina and Otto Somppi are not. Fagemo will attend Coyotes camp in September, Cam Russell said he is "still working on" his status beyond that.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
That doesn’t exactly mean he’s not coming back. Fagemo is still in the works if he’s going to go to the Mooseheads Organization or not Marcel Barinka is coming. But Barinka has Filip Zadinas billet family so there is a huge chance he won’t be coming back but I don’t think he’ll be making the Detroit Red Wings Organization and I don’t think the AHL will be good for his development so he may go back to the Czech Republic if he isn’t coming back to Halifax. Who knows?

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
That doesn’t exactly mean he’s not coming back. Fagemo is still in the works if he’s going to go to the Mooseheads Organization or not Marcel Barinka is coming. But Barinka has Filip Zadinas billet family so there is a huge chance he won’t be coming back but I don’t think he’ll be making the Detroit Red Wings Organization and I don’t think the AHL will be good for his development so he may go back to the Czech Republic if he isn’t coming back to Halifax. Who knows?

The AHL is the best pro development league for future NHLers, so that really doesn't make sense, going back to the Czech Republic would be a step down. Also if he's sent to the AHL and plays well, he can be called up whenever.

Last edited:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

He'll be in the NHL or the AHL, definitely not going to the Czech republic thats absurd

Reactions: Oddbob

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
As a moosehead/wings fan I am really happy he fell to 6 for us. He is a very entertaining to player to watch, especially offensively. Just seems to have a knack on to attack the net consistently, knows how to penetrate. In terms of favourite prospect to come through halifax I would rank him above anyone but Drouin and Mackinnon (Drouin never seemed to translate but was insanely skilled in juniors). I think he had a better draft year than Ehlers, Meier and 1st OA Hischier. Going to be a great player for us

Curious but where do you rank Voracek? I was surprised to see him omitted from this conversation.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Well he certainly has a fan in our future captain.

"The biggest thing that I noticed is he just understands hockey like a professional," Larkin said. "It maybe sounds like something minor, but when you skate with prospects or see 18-year-olds in training camp, they’re kind of in shock and running around and they don’t know the drills. Not with him. He came in, he understood and pushed the pace in these drills. Just his confidence was pretty impressive. ... We got a good one, for sure."

Red Wings' Larkin: "No Reason We Shouldn’t Be A Playoff Team"

Larkin thinking we are a playoff team is bold. But I do like how much he likes Rasmussen and Zadina. He is banking on those guys to be big parts of the team and you can see he wants to lead them and believes in them. That is important for this next phase of the rebuilding process.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I wasn't in Halifax at the time so I didn't get to see him play.

Understood, Halifax has really had some great talent over the years for sure. That is great junior organization to be following. I feel a little bad for them that Zadina won't be around for the Memorial Cup but it is what it is. The AHL/NHL is better for his development in my opinion. But it hurts losing that kind of talent in a year you host the Memorial Cup.

Reactions: Coolmcneil

Jon Cusack

Oct 28, 2011
Understood, Halifax has really had some great talent over the years for sure. That is great junior organization to be following. I feel a little bad for them that Zadina won't be around for the Memorial Cup but it is what it is. The AHL/NHL is better for his development in my opinion. But it hurts losing that kind of talent in a year you host the Memorial Cup.

Very much agreed. It seems likely we will have another top pick playing for us in Raphael Lavoie who is also very fun to watch so its not all bad.

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
Yeah, I’m from Halifax and saw him play all season. It’s unfortunate he’ll probably not be coming back. We still have an import spot open but it’s not looking like he’ll be coming back. We’re hosting the Memorial Cup and with him that’ll make the team so much better. Don’t get me wrong we do have a very strong roster but we’ll see where he lands. I honestly don’t follow much AHL hockey so I don’t know much.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Zadina will be in Detroit or Grand Rapids

Reactions: Oddbob

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
I am not up on CHL rules. I am not suggesting Detroit would allow it, but after the Wings season ends, could Zadina play for Halifax in the Memorial Cup ?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yeah, I’m from Halifax and saw him play all season. It’s unfortunate he’ll probably not be coming back. We still have an import spot open but it’s not looking like he’ll be coming back. We’re hosting the Memorial Cup and with him that’ll make the team so much better. Don’t get me wrong we do have a very strong roster but we’ll see where he lands. I honestly don’t follow much AHL hockey so I don’t know much.

The Wings have confirmed he will be in the NHL or AHL. I cannot think of something that would change there thinking. Short of a bad pre-season injury that we all are hoping doesn't happen they have turned that page. As an organization right on down to some players including Larkin they have all discussed how happy they are that Zadina is AHL eligible.

There is the feeling that even if they start him in the AHL they expect him to be up in the NHL at some point too. We will see, but I wouldn't hold out a whole lot of hope that a change in thinking is coming from the Wings.

I used to be kind of a snob about the NHL having grown up in a family that were Wings season ticket holders. However, I spent a lot of time living in Milwaukee and it really altered my opinion. The AHL really helped me evaluate the difference in players and that got expounded on once I started watching even more major junior. But if you're into prospects watching all three levels helps you project guys forward a little in my opinion. On most nights you are watching probably 8 to 10 future NHL players, some nights more. The quality of hockey is pretty good, a lot of guys that won't make it have an exploitable weakness or just process the game a step slower than NHL guys but I have to say I enjoy that level. I have found it to have a little more physicality because the game is processed a little slower. But should you be able to attend an AHL contest, I always encourage people to go. They are usually a pretty reasonable ticket expense wise and it is one of the best leagues in the world. There are some players that are going to have some lengthy NHL careers playing most nights.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
That would make this team sooo much fun to watch. Hopefully Cholo plays awesome in the AHL and gets a call up at some point.

Reactions: Winger98

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad