At 6th Overall The Red Wings Select Simon Edvinsson

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I don’t think the offensive upside is the question. He has it, but it’s just a question of how much and how likely.

The bigger mischaracterization is this boom or bust narrative tied to that offensive upside. People seem to think he doesn’t project to be a plus defender in the NHL which gives him a reasonably safe floor. The people who dislike this pick talk about Edvinsson as if his profile is the same as Cholowski’s.

yeah i've seen people saying stuff like he has the biggest chance of guys taken around him to bust

it's just silly

Reactions: HisNoodliness

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
yeah i've seen people saying stuff like he has the biggest chance of guys taken around him to bust

it's just silly

I saw someone bring up Clarke or Hughes as a safer bets than Edvinsson and my head almost exploded.

Unfortunately such is life on HF. I really enjoy the ability to discuss and share thoughts, but it also gives a big voice for people to spread misinformation

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
still celebrating . you dont find dmen this size that can seriously help their forwards by hauling the mail , plus patrol all 200' including being dominant defensively in own end . next he gets stronger , bigger , smarter from experience . we could end up with 2 number #1 dmen !

ROBINSON / SAVARD = SEIDER / EDVINSSON
or maybe
SEIDER / EDVINSSON > ROBINSON / SAVARD :naughty:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I'm torn on this pick, not sure how to rank him.

Simon is definitely a cell phone kiosk name.
Edvinsson sounds like it could be a hockey name.

So it's a split decision on Ogee's Costco cell phone kiosk rule. Boom or bust.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I'm torn on this pick, not sure how to rank him.

Simon is definitely a cell phone kiosk name.
Edvinsson sounds like it could be a hockey name.

So it's a split decision on Ogee's Costco cell phone kiosk rule. Boom or bust.

I think with a first name like Simon you need to be really good at whatever you do in life. So he could become one of the best cell phone kiosk salesman east of I75, or he could become one of the best D in the league.

Dudes with names like Chaz or Zach can half ass it.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
still celebrating . you dont find dmen this size that can seriously help their forwards by hauling the mail , plus patrol all 200' including being dominant defensively in own end . next he gets stronger , bigger , smarter from experience . we could end up with 2 number #1 dmen !

ROBINSON / SAVARD = SEIDER / EDVINSSON
or maybe
SEIDER / EDVINSSON > ROBINSON / SAVARD :naughty:

I think if we're using modern equivalents this becomes a better version of Werenski - Jones...
Or Suter - Weber...

Or Seabrook - Keith. Only meaner. I'd be OK with any of the above.

Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
I’m having a hard time with this pick.

The athletic ability is off the charts and absolutely fascinating. I’m willing to bet he’s the best skater in our organization already and that’s in an undeveloped 6’5 frame. It’s hard to believe how well he gets around the ice. He’s a unicorn in that sense.

His decision making scares me though. I don’t see a player that processes the game very well. Sometimes it looks like he’s playing pickup hockey or something. His passes lack purpose and touch. It’s weird and imo pretty concerning considering the position he plays.

That all being said if any organization is going to maximize this kid’s potential it’s us. I think Stevie fully believes that as well and that’s why we picked him.

Imagine if this kid and Mo both reach their ceilings…

Reactions: Realgud and ZDH

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

The athletic ability is off the charts and absolutely fascinating. I’m willing to bet he’s the best skater in our organization already and that’s in an undeveloped 6’5 frame. It’s hard to believe how well he gets around the ice. He’s a unicorn in that sense.

His decision making scares me though. I don’t see a player that processes the game very well. Sometimes it looks like he’s playing pickup hockey or something. His passes lack purpose and touch. It’s weird and imo pretty concerning considering the position he plays.

That all being said if any organization is going to maximize this kid’s potential it’s us. I think Stevie fully believes that as well and that’s why we picked him.

The decision making may be tied to endurance. If you're playing a ton of minutes in a game as a defenseman it eventually wears on you, and the more tired you are the more impaired your decision making is. Scouching touched on it and said that he would have amazing metrics in the first and second periods of a game but then would totally sink his metrics with a bad third fairly consistently. That's kind of what I noticed as well at the WJC18's.

Like you said, he's got an underdeveloped frame. He probably plays at 6'5" 225ish. I'd think that better conditioning will help with the late game decision making.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
i figured , power-bernier-edvinsson-mctavish-eklund / hughes . making my best hope guenther because i didnt want eklund , hughes , johnson . wasnt surprised when mctavish went 3 and hughes went 4 . then i figured cbj at 5 would be edvinsson for sure because of trading their star dman , and the werenski talk . i figured edvinsson if not eklund . when they said kenny i couldnt believe it and was totally fired up by miracle edvinsson still there . then when yzerman said ''gullfaxi'' i could not believe it ! this is the type tall , athletic , good skating dman that create great teams

Reactions: ZDH

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan

Agreed, beyond his lack of scoring ability, he seems to pretty regularly give up the puck in pressured situations. Either it’s stripped right from him, or he passes right to the opponent. Noticed it at WC.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Reading some comments about him, I dunno

His decision making, puck handling and offensive power are a bit questionable. He is good defensively, using his stick and his skating ability. Shows flashes of high ceiling. Wildcard with the puck. Bit of a risky pick.

I’m curious about the raw potential in Simon Edvinsson’s refined defensive talent and if he can learn to manage the puck with more confidence and consistency. While he is not the flashiest player, and certainly not without issues, Edvinsson is a player that adds defensive stability and offensive potential that could be a great add to the massive stable of future talent in grey and black. He's got strong defensive acumen more often than not, and if his puck management comes along and he gets more comfortable surveying the ice and executing his decisions, he could be great. Edvinsson's game has certainly settled down as the year goes on. He's a player who can be a ton of fun to watch until he isn't. His puck management needed to simplify far more often, and that seems to be happening, but he's unafraid to attack the neutral zone with skill and power through his skating. His ability to shut down defensive transitions is highly underrated. Risky, absolutely. Stash him in Sweden for a few years and continue to work on his fundamentals, and there could be a really interesting two-way defenseman.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Newfy does he actually have a mean streak? I haven’t seen him making huge hits but I was HOPING that he does. I scouted edvinsson less than I should have because I thought he would be gone. Also Mctavish went 3, we were both massive Mctavish supporters so I feel vindicated there .

Hes not as mean as Seider but yeah hes not soft. I think I probably only saw 3 or 4 games of his where I was paying much attention but he was playing mean. Canada killed them at the u18s and he was the only one with a pulse. Maybe I would compare him to Ericsson mean streak wise? Not throwing a bunch of big hits but mean in front of the net and not letting guys get at the goalie type deal

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
The decision making may be tied to endurance. If you're playing a ton of minutes in a game as a defenseman it eventually wears on you, and the more tired you are the more impaired your decision making is. Scouching touched on it and said that he would have amazing metrics in the first and second periods of a game but then would totally sink his metrics with a bad third fairly consistently. That's kind of what I noticed as well at the WJC18's.

Like you said, he's got an underdeveloped frame. He probably plays at 6'5" 225ish. I'd think that better conditioning will help with the late game decision making.

Didn't he only average 5:48 minutes of ice time, though?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Having a big, mobile defense corps is going to pay massive dividends in the future. Forechecking forwards tend not to take runs at guys who are 6'4"/220 lbs. That's gonna be a big factor in games 5/6/7 in any playoff series.

Just imagine if he can develop a reverse check half as good as Seider. It will be hilarious to watch when the shitheads of the league like Wilson are bouncing off our D.

Stony Curtis

Sep 21, 2018
I never understood how people can grade drafts immediately afterwards. Aren't they all STILL 18 YRS OLD???!

Well, this forum is for hockey geeks, and geeks tend to think highly of their own opinions lol. However, if I'm into mathematics, who's opinion do I value more? Ramdom math forum poster, or Nikhil Srivastava? I'll regard the opinion of the paid professional higher every time. I wouldn't take my car to be repaired by someone who read a Chilton's guide instead of taking it to a certified mechanic.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
Hes not as mean as Seider but yeah hes not soft. I think I probably only saw 3 or 4 games of his where I was paying much attention but he was playing mean. Canada killed them at the u18s and he was the only one with a pulse. Maybe I would compare him to Ericsson mean streak wise? Not throwing a bunch of big hits but mean in front of the net and not letting guys get at the goalie type deal
Watched some of his physical highlights, he definitely can and will throw big hits but I’m just so used to seider so anyone who isn’t laying the body 10 times a game doesn’t seem that physical in comparison haha. But no I definitely saw the competitive edge and mean streak, plus he looks like the type of player who is influenced by the type of team he is on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->