Player Discussion At 47 the Senators Select Alex Formenton

Status
Not open for further replies.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
ya that's possible....the flip side is he may not have to develop other skills in the CHL
He will, for the first time in his junior and professional career (even his midget and Junior A days) be given a role as the guy to guy offensively. That in and of itself is the best thing that could happen to him.

Reactions: bert

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
He will, for the first time in his junior and professional career (even his midget and Junior A days) be given a role as the guy to guy offensively. That in and of itself is the best thing that could happen to him.

I don't have an issue with him going down and as I said a few pages back he's a bit of a tweener that might be better off in the A.

the thing the concerns me about junior is going down there and playing to his strengths. The CHL is about winning and the risk is the best way he can help London win is by skating.

anyway....he's gone. We'll see him next year and presumably he'll be bigger and stronger

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Glad he went down. Good call by Dorion. Gives him a chance to develop and be a top 6 forward instead of probably just being a 3rd liner.

Seems management has learned from bungling Lazar

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It's far from a given that he will thrive in OHL. I won't be surprised if he's barely PPG by the end of season.

I think focusing on points is a bit over-rated in this instance.

I want Formenton learning to make plays, carry the puck more, getting all the different parts of his game working in sync. Whatever points he ends up with is an afterthought.

It's very good for us that his junior team is London. They know how to develop pro players better than most junior teams.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I would have liked us To keep him Around long enough To brun à year of his ELC. I think he will be cheaper to sign to a bridge or long term deal in 2 more years rather than 3.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I do'n't understand the idea that his speed is going to prevent him from developing in the CHL.

His speed is and always will be his main skill - he needs to play and make plays at pace and he won't get to do that in the NHL nearly as much as he will in the OHL. I see a difference in how he is skating with the puck this year compared to last - a clear difference in fact. He is going through those tight areas in control and emerging looking to make a play so if he can continue to build off that and (hopefully) have is goal:assist ratio go up a bunch I believe that will be a very good sign.

He isn't going to just skate straight with the puck all game every game...let's see him dominate all season, just like we want our guys to do in the AHL, and then step in more prepared physically to make an impact in the NHL.

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
I would have liked us To keep him Around long enough To brun à year of his ELC. I think he will be cheaper to sign to a bridge or long term deal in 2 more years rather than 3.

Glad to see someone with the proper Melnyk mindset!! Winning be damned! I want 'em cheap!!!!

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
yo Bert

you want to come down on me at least have the courtesy of reading the thread and understanding what I wrote. To save you the trouble I said using "he only had 48 points" is misleading. I also pointed out a couple of times that I had no issue with him going down.

so he went down. And before he did I said I wouldn't have an issue with it.

maybe you need to work on your reading comprehension there Bert but I won't patronize you by outright suggesting you do. Although, to be clear I think you'd benefit from it. oops. sorry man. couldn't help myself.

have a good day!
Lol thank you, just absolutely nailed what i said you'd say. I read all your posts I dont lack reading comprehension but I truly do appreciate your consistency.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Wrong move. If they can play in the NHL without hurting your team let them play. Minor leagues is where you learn to be sloppy with bad habits.

He should not put on muscle. Muscle is mass, mass makes you slower.
Mcdavid has almost 40 pounds on Formenton and it doesn't seem to make him slower. Same with MacKinnon.

Blotto71

May 12, 2013
Over There
Getting him cheap in the years we might be in a position to win enhances our position to win.

If even one of Stone lie Duchene were already re-signed, I'd agree with you. But they are not. So the best place for him, imo, is not in Ottawa so he can continue developing and help the team win later - development that will be all that much more important if there are further departures from the Sens. Trying to figure out now how to sign him on the cheap in two or three years? Melnykian.
Melnyk
Micklebot
Micklnykbot??!! :amazed:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If even one of Stone lie Duchene were already re-signed, I'd agree with you. But they are not. So the best place for him, imo, is not in Ottawa so he can continue developing and help the team win later - development that will be all that much more important if there are further departures from the Sens. Trying to figure out now how to sign him on the cheap in two or three years? Melnykian.
Melnyk
Micklebot
Micklnykbot??!! :amazed:
Not sure he develops more here playing 10 mins than London playing 25.

Blotto71

May 12, 2013
Over There
Not sure he develops more here playing 10 mins than London playing 25.

I'm hopeful the Hunters work their magic with him. And perhaps he gets to be a piece in a dominate world junior team to further build his confidence. Next year he could play AHL and your thought on a smaller contract would still be plausible because, let's face it, if Stone and Duchene walk this team is not going to compete for some time.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Bouchard was just sent down too. London is going to be a powerhouse this year.

Legitimate Memorial Cup contender.

pelangio

Aug 13, 2013
you are absolutely right!!!!, couple of tweeks and we should be good! Why dont the Sens send down B.T. to London, then we are set. Wishful thinking I know:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:.

TheCoach

Sep 17, 2014
Outside of the hat trick, how has he been playing? Has he been adding to his game? Carrying the puck more? More responsibilities?
He has been on the first line,first PP &PK units he plays about 25 mins a night easily. He's also part of the leadership group with an A. He has showing an improvement in his cycle game he throws body checks alot more this year aswell.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think Formenton could become a very good complimentary player, he doesn't need to carry the puck much but he will need to play with a plamaker to get him the puck for him to put up numbers. He needs to add more weight to his frame & if he can get to the net for tips, screening & rebounds he will be fine. I like it that he plays with an edge, Ottawa could use a little more of that & with his speed he should be a very good defensively & on the PK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->