Player Discussion At 47 the Senators Select Alex Formenton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
New training methods allow people to build strength without getting much slower and he should get a bit more strength to prevent injuries but... The team wants him to have the puck most of the time he's on the ice so he'll develop into hopefully a top line offensive player. This is the right move.

heres a link for more info on how people train nowadays: Jason Ferruggia’s Renegade Fitness

basically people are deadlifting heavy but instead of lowering the weight slowly they are dropping it. This prevents people from getting big and slow and also prevents injuries.

The general idea that added muscle mass makes your slower is idiotic. How you train to attain it however can also lend itself to making you faster, more explosive etc. That said, you should never lower a deadlift slowly. Puts the back in a compromised position. Unless you’re doing Romanian variation (RDL) but that’s a different exercise altogether. For the most part, lowering a weight under control and then using explosive acceleration on the way up is the best all around method for strength, explosiveness, and hypertrophy (muscle gain)

Reactions: Panic at the Back

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Him being faster than kids in junior doesn't mean anything. He's faster than everyone in the NHL too, but he isn't able to develop skills to go with that speed in the NHL. In the CHL, he can.

Exactly. He can survive in the NHL right now.

In the CHL he can thrive. IMO, it's always better to put your teenage prospects in a position to thrive rather than just struggle to keep their head above water.

Formenton has shown some quick hands and he's shown that he has a pretty decent mind for the game. His footspeed is apparent on almost every shift. He just needs to sync up these tools that he has. In London he'll have the puck on his stick a bunch which should let him learn how to take advantage of his skill set.

Reactions: Panic at the Back

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It's far from a given that he will thrive in OHL. I won't be surprised if he's barely PPG by the end of season.

The nice thing about Formenton is that he doesn't have to produce to be valuable at the NHL level.

With that speed, he can create forechecking pressure, generate turnovers and draw penalties in the bottom six if need be.

I'm on the side of those who say that his style of play and his current frame might be conducive to some serious harm if he stays in the NHL for the entire season.

Reactions: aragorn and DrEasy

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
I would be very surprised, very, VERY surprised.
You know more about CHL than me, but from my experience CHL is usually dominated by players of different skill set. For example Grabner in his 3rd WHL season as 19yo had 55 points in 55 games.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
You know more about CHL than me, but from my experience CHL is usually dominated by players of different skill set. For example Grabner in his 3rd WHL season as 19yo had 55 points in 55 games.

Well Formenton had 48 pts in 48 games last season... you think he’ll do the same or worse? It’s a pretty safe bet that he’ll put up better numbers this year.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
The general idea that added muscle mass makes your slower is idiotic. How you train to attain it however can also lend itself to making you faster, more explosive etc. That said, you should never lower a deadlift slowly. Puts the back in a compromised position. Unless you’re doing Romanian variation (RDL) but that’s a different exercise altogether. For the most part, lowering a weight under control and then using explosive acceleration on the way up is the best all around method for strength, explosiveness, and hypertrophy (muscle gain)

Exactly. Look at all the sprinters. They train for explosiveness and their legs are huge. They definitely aren't 160 pounds. Muscle bulk in the right places is good. Think Marty St Louis and his super thick muscular legs.

Reactions: Clayonator

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Seems like a win-win move to me.

If we were a contender, we could justify putting icing the best NHL team possible as a priority ahead of development, but we are not. Especially with games getting tougher down the stretch, and Formenton already suffering a concussion, I think the safer route is to send him down.

From a team building perspective, we keep one more year of his ELC and one more year of UFA status. If nothing else changes, Chabot is getting paid big time in 2020, then Tkachuk in 2021. So having Formenton's ELC continue until 2022 could be advantageous.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
While I expect that Formenton should do well in his return to London, I hope he does work on all the little things he needs to become more than just a speedy skater. I doubt he comes in next yr & all of a sudden is an elite goal scorer but hopefully he is a little more consistent with his offence. Even if he ends up on the 3rd line his skill set will still be an important factor for Ottawa for next season & a bonus if his scoring ability improves even incrementally. Hopefully, this will give Paul an opportunity to get a little more ice time from GB.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
New training methods allow people to build strength without getting much slower and he should get a bit more strength to prevent injuries but... The team wants him to have the puck most of the time he's on the ice so he'll develop into hopefully a top line offensive player. This is the right move.

heres a link for more info on how people train nowadays: Jason Ferruggia’s Renegade Fitness

basically people are deadlifting heavy but instead of lowering the weight slowly they are dropping it. This prevents people from getting big and slow and also prevents injuries.

That makes no sense. You shouldn't be dropping a deadlift or lowering it slowly. It should be a controlled descent. This weird idea of preventing yourself from getting big has no basis in fact or science. Not sure where that idea comes from.

"We don't want our players to get too big and strong" said no NHL strength training coach ever.

Go have a look at some NFL running backs. Those dudes are machines and run the 40 in the blink of an eye and their vertical is insane. Then look at their height/weight. Those guys are jacked AF.

Reactions: Clayonator

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Against the grain JDI, he is also patronizing when he goes about it too. Its hilarious to be wrong more than 50% of the time almost always by taking this stance then coming down on other posters when they are consistently correct.

yo Bert

you want to come down on me at least have the courtesy of reading the thread and understanding what I wrote. To save you the trouble I said using "he only had 48 points" is misleading. I also pointed out a couple of times that I had no issue with him going down.

so he went down. And before he did I said I wouldn't have an issue with it.

maybe you need to work on your reading comprehension there Bert but I won't patronize you by outright suggesting you do. Although, to be clear I think you'd benefit from it. oops. sorry man. couldn't help myself.

have a good day!

Reactions: JungleBeat

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Him being faster than kids in junior doesn't mean anything. He's faster than everyone in the NHL too, but he isn't able to develop skills to go with that speed in the NHL. In the CHL, he can.

ya that's possible....the flip side is he may not have to develop other skills in the CHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->