Prospect Info: At 46th The Isles Select Robin Salo

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pe...lbag-the-leafs-and-the-2017-nhl-draft-edition

@cambabs17 on Twitter: What is so special about Robin Salo and is there any chance he is still available for our second round pick?

Ha! The Robin Salo hype train has caught on! You’ve been paying attention!

Here’s what makes Robin Salo special: Nobody — not potential top-5 pick Miro Heiskanen, not Rasmus Ristolainen — has played as significant minutes or generated as many shots as a draft-eligible defencemen out of Liiga as Robin Salo did this year, in recent memory. Aside from a mediocre stride, he is an elite defender offensively and defensively in one of the top pro leagues in the world as a teenager. If he had a little more puck luck offensively (just one goal on nearly 200 shots) this year and he’d made Team Finland at the World Juniors (his omission was was criminal), he’d be a surefire lock for the first round. You’re looking at a kid who handles the puck as well as anyone, defends extremely well, and played 20 minutes a night while doing it.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Good pick, has potential to be an NHL defenseman. Maybe not a top pair guy, but you can't ask for more out of a 2nd rounder in an average draft.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Not a "sexy" pick, but solid all around dman . Type of player that plays in the NHL for 10-15 years and has some shutdown ability. Likes to shoot the puck a lot, so may have more offensive ability than seen on the surface. Solid pick. Not over the moon about it (wanted Comtois), but played very well as a 17 year old against men.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The report says he is an awkward skater, but I didn't see a ton of awkwardness in those highlights. He does seem to be quite shifty when passing the puck at the offensive blue line, and has a quick release.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Future Considerations had Salo at #34
ISS had Salo at #60
Hockey Prospects Black Book had Salo at #74
Hockey News had Salo at #66

So definitely somewhat of a reach. Most had him in the late second to mid third round. Would've preferred Comtois, Lipanov, Safin or Popugaev.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
The report says he is an awkward skater, but I didn't see a ton of awkwardness in those highlights. He does seem to be quite shifty when passing the puck at the offensive blue line, and has a quick release.
Highlights obviously don't show the low points. ;)

But yeah, his skating is kinda awkward. He has to improve a lot on changes of direction and stop&start. Prospects board thread about him has some more info.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Highlights obviously don't show the low points. ;)

But yeah, his skating is kinda awkward. He has to improve a lot on changes of direction and stop&start. Prospects board thread about him has some more info.

Thanks!

Yeah, they're so short with the clips it's hard to get a good read on his skating. Most of it is just him doing small moves to shake a forechecker or passing the puck.

DenOnde

Dec 5, 2016
Finland
As a season ticket holder for Vasa Sport that watched every Liiga game he played this year I feel that his biggest strengths are good hockey IQ and positioning. Weakness is that his first steps need a lot of work. Gives supporters gray hairs at times when choosing to make a play in the D-zone in stead of just dumping the puck. Has a lot of poise. Good at creating space for himself on the PP but has quite a weak shot.
PS. Have never liked the rangers and now I guess I have to start following the Islanders a little closer with my hometown boy in the organisation. Rangers hate incoming...

Clutcherbuck

Feb 28, 2007
Albany, NY
Problems with those first steps will keep him well out of the NHL. He's young and a project. If we can get him to improve that, then seems as though he could be solid player.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
As a season ticket holder for Vasa Sport that watched every Liiga game he played this year I feel that his biggest strengths are good hockey IQ and positioning. Weakness is that his first steps need a lot of work. Gives supporters gray hairs at times when choosing to make a play in the D-zone in stead of just dumping the puck. Has a lot of poise. Good at creating space for himself on the PP but has quite a weak shot.
PS. Have never liked the rangers and now I guess I have to start following the Islanders a little closer with my hometown boy in the organisation. Rangers hate incoming...

Welcome aboard!!!! Thank you for the info!!

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Future Considerations had Salo at #34
ISS had Salo at #60
Hockey Prospects Black Book had Salo at #74
Hockey News had Salo at #66

So definitely somewhat of a reach. Most had him in the late second to mid third round. Would've preferred Comtois, Lipanov, Safin or Popugaev.

You listed some of the worst rankings to go by. Guy's like Salo always end up as 2nd rounders. Ville Pokka is a similar level talent/prospect.

Popugaev is a poor man's Grigorenko. In other words, I would put money on him never making it. I watched him a lot in the dub over the past two years. He is awful.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

We like you already, we welcome you with open arms! :handclap:

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
You listed some of the worst rankings to go by. Guy's like Salo always end up as 2nd rounders. Ville Pokka is a similar level talent/prospect.

Popugaev is a poor man's Grigorenko. In other words, I would put money on him never making it. I watched him a lot in the dub over the past two years. He is awful.

I assume you mean you think Popugaev is "never going to make it?" I ask because you made one heck of a segue from Salo to Popugaev.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
I assume you mean you think Popugaev is "never going to make it?" I ask because you made one heck of a segue from Salo to Popugaev.

Yes, Popugaev. I thought it was pretty evident, two separate paragraphs. One for each player. Not to mention, only one of them plays in the dub. Sorry if it wasn't clear.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Yes, Popugaev. I thought it was pretty evident, two separate paragraphs. One for each player. Not to mention, only one of them plays in the dub. Sorry if it wasn't clear.

Alll good. I assumed so, but the post you replied to didn't mention Popugaev at all so didn't understand why he was being brought up at all.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Alll good. I assumed so, but the post you replied to didn't mention Popugaev at all so didn't understand why he was being brought up at all.

No worries. I just double checked, Popugaev was the last guy he mentioned. I probably threw you off because I didn't comment on any others, I skipped over them to mention Popugaev. I did that, because I really don't think anyone who watched this guy play, especially last year, would actually want their team to draft him. Think Kvasha with less effort (yes, less effort than Oleg) and softer than Nelson.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
No worries. I just double checked, Popugaev was the last guy he mentioned. I probably threw you off because I didn't comment on any others, I skipped over them to mention Popugaev. I did that, because I really don't think anyone who watched this guy play, especially last year, would actually want their team to draft him. Think Kvasha with less effort (yes, less effort than Oleg) and softer than Nelson.

Whatever NHL player is the opposite of that description is my type of player.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005

Welcome to the Isles! You had us at, "have never liked the Rangers". But feel free to use stronger connotations like I loathe the Rags or the Blue$kirts are putrid and make me sick. :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad