At 30th Overall the Red Wings Select Centre Joe Veleno

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
With Zadina, Larkin, Athanasiou (if he’s not traded) and Veleno, the Wings are going to be one of the fastesf forward groups in the league for awhile. Even our big guys like Mantha and Rasmussen are relatively fast foe their size
Biggest problem with Zadina it is his speed, but he could improve it .

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
Where will Veleno play next season? Is he eligible for the AHL, or will he have to go back to the Q again?

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Lots of impressive highlights in that video, not to mention that he's one of the youngest players in that league. Watching how dominant he was at the World Juniors really reminds me how young he is. Leading team Canada's forwards in ice time on a team that includes Lafreniere and Hayton shows how much coaches value him.

Reactions: Red Stanley

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Veleno is going to be a great pro. He's never going to be a huge point generator or breathtaking offensive talent, but a lot of top guys will love playing with him. His style is going to facilitate things for top end guys. The video does a great job of showing the difference in his confidence and assertion levels in GR pre & post WJC.

No surprise as his whole junior career was finding his feet before slowly cranking it up, and I expect his pro career at each level to be similar in terms of progression

Reactions: Red Stanley

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
What is his ceiling? A 2nd line C/W? If so, a line with Larkin, Veleno and Fabbri would be pretty filthy
It’d be a waste to not play valeno at center imo. He is a prototypical center. I don’t understand the offensive knocks against him either. In flashes he shows the ability to make elite creative plays. Everyone saying his ceiling is 2nd line 40-50 point center. I think that’s his floor.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Is his waiver immunity coming soon I am almost tired of hearing about this guy, put him in the roster already.

Woha he was only drafted in 2018 feels like longer

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
It's good that he had better end of the season, but still, there are lots to improve.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
It’d be a waste to not play valeno at center imo. He is a prototypical center. I don’t understand the offensive knocks against him either. In flashes he shows the ability to make elite creative plays. Everyone saying his ceiling is 2nd line 40-50 point center. I think that’s his floor.

I very much disagree. I think he is most likely a high-end third line center. There is nothing elite about his play with the puck in my eyes and he is not nearly as smart as people make him out to be. He spends a lot of time chasing the puck. He is a bit of a robot to me. He is skilled and a good skater, but nothing in his play strikes me as natural. Everything feels jerky or forced. He is very fascinating in that regard because he can skate and has above average technical skill.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
I very much disagree. I think he is most likely a high-end third line center. There is nothing elite about his play with the puck in my eyes and he is not nearly as smart as people make him out to be. He spends a lot of time chasing the puck. He is a bit of a robot to me. He is skilled and a good skater, but nothing in his play strikes me as natural. Everything feels jerky or forced. He is very fascinating in that regard because he can skate and has above average technical skill.
You are in the majority.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad