Prospect Info: At 27th Overall The Predators Select Zachary L'Heureux

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
for the stat guys:

L_Heureux.JPG

Really intrigued by L'Heureux. Have a real soft spot for shit stirrers like him. Hopefully at least one or two of him, Fontaine and Mismash turn out to be effective at the NHL level.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
He needs to improve his skating if he wants to play in the NHL. His stride is a bit awkward and he doesn't look that explosive.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Is he playing LW? I have this funny idea in my head... if we think we can still project Glass as a C, and if Tomasino is kind of drifting towards RW... is there a day in the not-too-distant-future when we see this line:

L'Heureux - Glass - Tomasino

:naughty:

Reactions: Scoresberg

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I don't see the need to shoehorn Glass into a top-6 role. If he ends up being a responsible 3rd line center with scoring touch, that's just fine. Tomasino may end up being the 1C anyway, and we've got Afanasyev and Svechkov looking like a pure centers, plus Parssinen who is probably a bottom - 6 center. That's 5 promising young centers, so Glass in my opinion isn't someone who has to make or break his career in the top-6. Of course, the best case scenario is that he blossoms into the #1 C that he was drafted to be, but that would just be a huge bonus on top of what has quickly turned into a strong prospect pool.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I don't see the need to shoehorn Glass into a top-6 role. If he ends up being a responsible 3rd line center with scoring touch, that's just fine. Tomasino may end up being the 1C anyway, and we've got Afanasyev and Svechkov looking like a pure centers, plus Parssinen who is probably a bottom - 6 center. That's 5 promising young centers, so Glass in my opinion isn't someone who has to make or break his career in the top-6. Of course, the best case scenario is that he blossoms into the #1 C that he was drafted to be, but that would just be a huge bonus on top of what has quickly turned into a strong prospect pool.
Maybe I'm not that familiar with Glass as a player, but my read of the Vegas situation is that he's kind of not cut out for anything but a top-6 role? He doesn't have the two-way game to really stick if he doesn't actually blossom into fulfilling his draft projection?

He wasn't ready to stick in that top-6 role yet for them, but they also couldn't justify playing him in any other role... so they traded him. :dunno: (Not to say players can't change and adapt their roles over time, but... one NHL team already basically came to a conclusion on this player, so it's not entirely as blindly speculative as we usually have to be on prospects).

I definitely don't like Tomasino's odds of ever landing at 1C, anyway. I wonder how many of the league's top 1C players got shifted to wing whenever they played at higher levels as prospects, and then switched back after a couple of years and are still 1C-calibre in the long run in the NHL? It seems unlikely to me. He's doing great on wing, so I'll just keep projecting him there until I see any evidence that suggests otherwise. Afanaseyev also looks nothing like a center to me. Svechkov and Parssinen are good hopefuls still.

Not that any of that matters in the context of this "Dream Line" scenario, of course. If in the fullness of time if we do find ANYBODY who actually fits as a 1C, be it Glass, Tomasino, Afanaseyev, Svechkov, Parssinen, or anybody else... much rejoicing will ensue!
:party:

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Maybe I'm not that familiar with Glass as a player, but my read of the Vegas situation is that he's kind of not cut out for anything but a top-6 role? He doesn't have the two-way game to really stick if he doesn't actually blossom into fulfilling his draft projection?

He wasn't ready to stick in that top-6 role yet for them, but they also couldn't justify playing him in any other role... so they traded him. :dunno: (Not to say players can't change and adapt their roles over time, but... one NHL team already basically came to a conclusion on this player, so it's not entirely as blindly speculative as we usually have to be on prospects).

I definitely don't like Tomasino's odds of ever landing at 1C, anyway. I wonder how many of the league's top 1C players got shifted to wing whenever they played at higher levels as prospects, and then switched back after a couple of years and are still 1C-calibre in the long run in the NHL? It seems unlikely to me. He's doing great on wing, so I'll just keep projecting him there until I see any evidence that suggests otherwise. Afanaseyev also looks nothing like a center to me. Svechkov and Parssinen are good hopefuls still.

Not that any of that matters in the context of this "Dream Line" scenario, of course. If in the fullness of time if we do find ANYBODY who actually fits as a 1C, be it Glass, Tomasino, Afanaseyev, Svechkov, Parssinen, or anybody else... much rejoicing will ensue!
:party:

#1 Glass has always been touted as a playmaking C with a good two-way game.

#2 Tomasino to C... Giroux, Aho, Seguin, Pavelski, Zibanejad I'm sure there are others, all played W to break into the league before becoming #1 centers.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
#1 Glass has always been touted as a playmaking C with a good two-way game.

#2 Tomasino to C... Giroux, Aho, Seguin, Pavelski, Zibanejad I'm sure there are others, all played W to break into the league before becoming #1 centers.
#1... I agree he WAS touted for having a good two-way game. If you go back and read his prospect scouting reports and so on. And yet... I also have read a lot of Vegas posters complaining about how slow and soft he has been with them. These things are generally attributed to knee injuries and poor training choices. Fair enough, therefore we can hope they are fixable. However it still seems like Vegas determined the odds weren't in their favor on that front... it's not like they traded him as a junior player to snag a bona fide top-line NHL player as for example they did with Suzuki, instead they traded him for another young player with an even more risky injury history. Playmaking center with a good two-way game is definitely something they needed. Yet bailed on in his case. Scouting reports from past years are nice, but there is also some new data that has been evaluated by at least 1 NHL organization already. Here's hoping they are wrong, and/or that Glass finds a way to recapture his former prospect projections.

#2... you list 5 guys... out of... how many in the last 20 years? 50? 100? 30? It's not to say it can't be done... just... the whole point is that it's not "typical". And how many of them didn't play C in their pre-NHL season either? I don't really know what everybody's fascination is with insisting that Tomasino must be thought of as a center. He's a good prospect, and it's no harm to us if he ends up as a winger. That is clearly his current trajectory, anyway, even if we acknowledge that sometimes trajectories change.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
#1... I agree he WAS touted for having a good two-way game. If you go back and read his prospect scouting reports and so on. And yet... I also have read a lot of Vegas posters complaining about how slow and soft he has been with them. These things are generally attributed to knee injuries and poor training choices. Fair enough, therefore we can hope they are fixable. However it still seems like Vegas determined the odds weren't in their favor on that front... it's not like they traded him as a junior player to snag a bona fide top-line NHL player as for example they did with Suzuki, instead they traded him for another young player with an even more risky injury history. Playmaking center with a good two-way game is definitely something they needed. Yet bailed on in his case. Scouting reports from past years are nice, but there is also some new data that has been evaluated by at least 1 NHL organization already. Here's hoping they are wrong, and/or that Glass finds a way to recapture his former prospect projections.

#2... you list 5 guys... out of... how many in the last 20 years? 50? 100? 30? It's not to say it can't be done... just... the whole point is that it's not "typical". And how many of them didn't play C in their pre-NHL season either? I don't really know what everybody's fascination is with insisting that Tomasino must be thought of as a center. He's a good prospect, and it's no harm to us if he ends up as a winger. That is clearly his current trajectory, anyway, even if we acknowledge that sometimes trajectories change.
On the Glass subject.

I'll never take another fanbase's word on a player evaluation. Maybe if I knew a certain individual poster to be reliable but not the masses.

Poile knows all the medical info and believes his issues were recovery time related so I'll stick with that analysis until I see it proven wrong with my own eyes.

This trade could simply be the Vegas GM wanted to draft Patrick originally but wound up with Glass so when the opportunity arose he was one than willing to flip them.

Reactions: predhead1

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
It's probably not clear from posts on the internet... I am only putting things out there for consideration, not saying I take anybody's word 100%, here or anywhere else on the internet, nor suggesting that I own a crystal ball.

It was just a fun idea for me to think that we might have a L'Heureux-Glass-Tomasino 1st line one day. :)

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Afanasyev is a winger

...I'll add, Glass is a center with top 6 upside and I feel much more confident in that than any other prospect we currently have in the system.
And he'll turn out nicely too and we'll have an Afanaseyev-Svechkov-Tolvanen line, and a Trenin-Parssinen-Jeannot line, and Kunin somewhere still too, and... our future's so bright we gotta wear shades. :cool:

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
for the stat guys:

L_Heureux.JPG

Really intrigued by L'Heureux. Have a real soft spot for shit stirrers like him. Hopefully at least one or two of him, Fontaine and Mismash turn out to be effective at the NHL level.
Huh. That would explain a lot of why he bothers me but doesn't seem to bother others. I'm an occasional closet Charlottetown Islanders fan (because George Matthews) and so saw L'Heureux a few times and didn't think much of the guy, but that may be because of the number of times I saw him utterly fail at defensive transition. Guess I amplified that in my mind because that suggests that's literally his only significant on-ice weakness.

Reactions: GoldOnGold

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad