At 26th the Sens Take Jacob Bernard Docker

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
You know, I'll see if I can put together an NCAA streaming guide for the upcoming season.

Someone might need to remind me in a few months, but I'll for sure do it.
That would be awesome... I will remind you because I am interested .. I search around often for NCAA games

Reactions: chipsens

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
That makes it sound like a top 10-15 pick.

Everyones scouting report in the first two rounds made them sound like a top 10 pick ..... Just a couple of examples a of second rounds picks whose scouting report makes them sound like top 5 material ......

Pick # 51

"We have one of the best overall playmakers in the draft. He uses his combination of skating and soft hands to make the right play. He’s willing to shoot from anywhere on the ice. He’s more willing to dish the puck to teammates and isn’t afraid to drive the net when the opportunity is there.What stands out about Thomas is his leadership and work ethic. He is a tireless worker who is always striving to get better at both ends of the ice. In live viewings of him, he was out in all situations, including power play, penalty kill and end of game. He can effectively play both as a center and on the wing. He also handles everything like he’s 2-3 years older. He’s just 18, but you’d think he’s 20 or 21 based on his play and the way he handles himself. Not many players wear a letter in their draft season. That tells you everything you need to know about Thomas as a person."

Or how about wilde at 31

He has size, skill, smarts, speed, and Wilde can play at both ends of the rink well.
Those are the qualities you look for in an NHL defenceman, and he has the potential to one day be a top-two guy for whoever has the opportunity to land him.
“Bode Wilde is a talented and competitive defender that plays a tenacious 200-foot game,” says the scouting report over at eliteprospects.com. “His balance and acceleration in-stride is noteworthy and he is never caught in no-man’s land, or doing nothing. He is proactive and hard-nosed in pursuit of puck control, and he reads cues in all three zones naturally and quickly.
“Defensively, he is a beast and always looks to take time and space away from the opposition. He erases the open lane, keeps opponents to the outside, and is physical along the wall. In-transition, he is able to make that outlet pass or, more than likely, take it up himself to set up the trap. Offensively, he showcases a very hard, accurate shot that leaps off his stick.
“He can also open up space by way of his skating ability, size, and handling of the puck. Thanks to his quick thinking in making the high-percentage decision, he can be very difficult to read and play against. All-in-all, Wilde is a smart, competitive, and sizeable two-way D-man that can provide a team with numbers on the board and stability on the ice.”

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I think the trade down was brilliant and amazing value for a 4-spot drop late in the 1st round, and I think the player is exactly the kind of kid you like taking with a second 1st rounder - a long-term piece who you can let grow in NCAA for a couple of years.

Also: call me crazy, but did I notice a bit of bells palsy when he was talking in the interview? He definitely had that "talk out of the side of your mouth" characteristic that BP people have. Obviously not a thing that will ever affect his NHL career, but mildly interesting, I guess.
He has braces, big thick ones that affect his speech somewhat right now

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Dorion gets tunnel vision once he falls in love with a player.
Most scouts do when they truly think a player will be great. The scouts must have sold him. Remember the scouts want a lot of picks. And they told dorion DO NOT trade out of this spot were not waiting any more for JBD. The scouts love this kid. And as no one has watched him play.. we should to

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Most scouts do when they truly think a player will be great. The scouts must have sold him. Remember the scouts want a lot of picks. And they told dorion DO NOT trade out of this spot were not waiting any more for JBD. The scouts love this kid. And as no one has watched him play.. we should to

Lots of our defensive prospects are mediocre or will at best be 3rd pairing dmen. I'm not about to love any player unless there's a consensus that they are sure shots to be in Ottawa. As of now we have Claesson, Harpur, Jaros, Englund and Lajoie as recent draftees who could not be in the NHL full time, Wolanin being the exception.

I'm not saying that they along with JBD will all bust, but there's not enough proof for me to put blind faith into our scouts regarding our defense. Wolanin becoming a real #3-4 guy might change everything though.

Reactions: Cosmix

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Lots of our defensive prospects are mediocre or will at best be 3rd pairing dmen. I'm not about to love any player unless there's a consensus that they are sure shots to be in Ottawa. As of now we have Claesson, Harpur, Jaros, Englund and Lajoie as recent draftees who could not be in the NHL full time, Wolanin being the exception.

I'm not saying that they along with JBD will all bust, but there's not enough proof for me to put blind faith into our scouts regarding our defense. Wolanin becoming a real #3-4 guy might change everything though.

I kind of agree with this. Remember when we drafted Englund? He’s likely not even an NHLer...

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Okay well 1. pretty much no d men outside of d men considered top 2 can’t miss players in the draft are surefire anything’s.

2. Your blind faith in a prospect doesn’t cost you anything. Except maaaaaayyyybe “embarrassment” if he doesn’t pan out. It costs me nothing to say “I’ve never seen this player. The scouts have. I’ll trust he’s a good prospect and turns into a player for us”.

3. If it makes you feel better this wasn’t a dorion pick. He wanted out of this spot and was convinced otherwise. Maybe he wanted jbm but clearly not as badly as the the guys who had seen him 100 times.

Brannstorm

Feb 15, 2016
Ottawa
I kind of agree with this. Remember when we drafted Englund? He’s likely not even an NHLer...
Ya but if I remember correctly we knew at the time that Englund would be a safe pick because he was defensive first with little offensive game. Four years later we pick skilled offensive defensemen like JBD and Tychonin, due to attributes like strong skating and good puck handling (more sought after ever in a defenceman than ever before).

The downfalls to JBD's game were physical strength and positioning whilst his strengths were skating, shooting, passing. Most 18 year old kids have to get stronger and learn rapidly new systems and leagues. So hopefully he can take his time to do that, however I read in the citizen this morning that our scouting staff doesn't think he will be in North Dakota very long before coming to the NHL.

Reactions: Duncstar

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Ya but if I remember correctly we knew at the time that Englund would be a safe pick because he was defensive first with little offensive game. Four years later we pick skilled offensive defensemen like JBD and Tychonin, due to attributes like strong skating and good puck handling (more sought after ever in a defenceman than ever before).

The downfalls to JBD's game were physical strength and positioning whilst his strengths were skating, shooting, passing. Most 18 year old kids have to get stronger and learn rapidly new systems and leagues. So hopefully he can take his time to do that, however I read in the citizen this morning that our scouting staff doesn't think he will be in North Dakota very long before coming to the NHL.
Okay but “not very long” is two years.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013

I’m not saying they are perfectly comparable situations. Just maybe we shouldn’t get too hyped because we got a guy the scouts “loved” late in the first/early in the second.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I'm trying to come around on this pick, and it's easier to do that when it's clear our scouts love the kid.

I really (REALLY) had my heart set on some of the forwards in that range that we ended up passing on/missing out on when we moved back (Bokk, Lunderstrom, Beggren).

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
One big thing that gives me hope for Jacob Bern-Dock is that Dorion let slip a subtle but somewhat obvious shit-eating grin right as he made the pick.

It was almost like he knew he had something and was pulling a quick one on his colleagues.

Count me as hopeful for the Bern-Dock

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site

A player like Claesson would probably re-draft as a late 2nd rounder, while AHL'ers who have a cup of coffee in the NHL are drafted in the 3rd round.

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
I'm pretty happy overall with our picks. You know, after screaming at the tv downstairs at how dumb our org was to pass on Zadina, to the point where the wife had to make sure no one was dead.

Reactions: c_mak

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
One big thing that gives me hope for Jacob Bern-Dock is that Dorion let slip a subtle but somewhat obvious ****-eating grin right as he made the pick.

It was almost like he knew he had something and was pulling a quick one on his colleagues.

Count me as hopeful for the Bern-Dock
I’m actually starting to appreciate Dorion’s cocky swagger. The wins will have to back it up soon.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I don't get the "trust our scouts" mantra. What about the other team's scouts who didn't pick our player? Should I trust them too?

Sens scouting staff has a pretty good record over the past decade. Top 10 in the league good. If they didn't bunt on "safe" players in the first 2 rounds they'd be top 5, arguably top 3.

If I were a fan of a team with an objectively bad draft record in recent years like the Wild, Oilers, Sharks, etc... I'd be a lot less trusting when the scouts went off the board for a player I wasn't sure about.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I don't get the "trust our scouts" mantra. What about the other team's scouts who didn't pick our player? Should I trust them too?
AUM.gif

Reactions: Cosmix

Sensators

Sep 15, 2009
Everyones scouting report in the first two rounds made them sound like a top 10 pick ..... Just a couple of examples a of second rounds picks whose scouting report makes them sound like top 5 material ......

Or how about wilde at 31

He has size, skill, smarts, speed, and Wilde can play at both ends of the rink well.
Those are the qualities you look for in an NHL defenceman, and he has the potential to one day be a top-two guy for whoever has the opportunity to land him.
“Bode Wilde is a talented and competitive defender that plays a tenacious 200-foot game,” says the scouting report over at eliteprospects.com. “His balance and acceleration in-stride is noteworthy and he is never caught in no-man’s land, or doing nothing. He is proactive and hard-nosed in pursuit of puck control, and he reads cues in all three zones naturally and quickly.
“Defensively, he is a beast and always looks to take time and space away from the opposition. He erases the open lane, keeps opponents to the outside, and is physical along the wall. In-transition, he is able to make that outlet pass or, more than likely, take it up himself to set up the trap. Offensively, he showcases a very hard, accurate shot that leaps off his stick.
“He can also open up space by way of his skating ability, size, and handling of the puck. Thanks to his quick thinking in making the high-percentage decision, he can be very difficult to read and play against. All-in-all, Wilde is a smart, competitive, and sizeable two-way D-man that can provide a team with numbers on the board and stability on the ice.”

I read that Wilde had a fantastic first step and was big but didn't have as good of hockey IQ as the top defender picks in the draft, it is interesting that this lists it as one of his strengths. I think a big defenseman with a quick first stride is just amazing for defending (how many times have chara/hedman knocked the puck away just from wingspan) but i was influenced by the posted advanced stats in the wilde thread to think that he does not make the smartest plays. He was bad at the u18s and that tanked a lot of peoples opinion on him.

I see your point about how hard it is these days to filter information to see what is true, what is hopeful/jaded, and what is false, it sucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad