Prospect Info: At 24th Overall the Jets Select Kristian Vesalainen

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Should've been more. What he did is actually so ****ed up. Slow mo makes it look even worse.

One of the main points was "Didn't cause an injury". Good lord.

This drives me crazy. Now and then an attacker gets unlucky and despite his best attempt to injure a player somehow the victim of the attack comes out ok. It’s the action that is the problem we don’t need to assess the damage. If you take a blatant shot with a head first hit do we need to await what the doctor said or just agree that more often than not this would result in a serious head injury?

I hate waiting for the result of the action when the act is egregious and clearly over the line.

sashalaine

Apr 2, 2016
Helsinki
Been quiet here for a while, are we still waiting for playoffs to start?
Yeah, playoffs start next tuesday. They are now playing the 'pity playoffs' as we call them. 7 vs 10, 8 vs 9, best of three. Kärpät will face the worse of the teams that makes it to the 'real playoffs'.

..always too late.

Reactions: Festinator

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
Yeah, playoffs start next tuesday. They are now playing the 'pity playoffs' as we call them. 7 vs 10, 8 vs 9, best of three. Kärpät will face the worse of the teams that makes it to the 'real playoffs'.

..always too late.
They play on Tuesday.

Teams ranked 7-10 play a best-of-3 series (7 vs 10, 8 vs 9) to get to the next round, the two winners face the 1st and 2nd ranked teams.

Teams 1-6 get a nice break. Karpat is the #1 ranked team.

Otteluohjelma | Liiga

Ohh okay thanks guys

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
As noted in the Finnish media:

HIFK teki valtavan virheen 16-vuotiaan lupauksen kohdalla – nyt Kristian Vesalainen on liigatähti ja lähtee NHL:ään Kärpistä

Apparently the Jets scouts followed him "recently" for a week in three games, and he writes a report of every game to the Jets.
Translating the main points:

-Left HIFK in 2015. He says that HIFK staff thought that he'll take 6 years to become a player in Finnish Liiga. Vesalainen saw more potential in himself
-In Frolunda he sucked all the information he could from different coaches. Says he grew a lot during his trip to Sweden
-Dropped everything else at 14 years of age and decided to make hockey his profession
-Sounds like he's been working very hard to better himself. He says many people don't realize how much work it actually takes.
-He got confidence from WJC and thinks that's the most important thing in hockey. Without confidence you can't get anything done
-Like Lempo said, Winnipeg scouts were at his games recently for 1 week, and he wrote a report for them from every game.
-He'll get his ELC contract after the season is done (Not sure which season, NHL or Liiga. Probably Liiga, yeah?)

Maybe the biggest take here is how much he believes in himself.

Last edited:

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013

-Left HIFK in 2015. He says that HIFK staff thought that he'll take 6 years to become a player in Finnish Liiga. Vesalainen saw more potential in himself
-In Frolunda he sucked all the information he could from different coaches. Says he grew a lot during his trip to Sweden
-Dropped everything else at 14 years of age and decided to make hockey his profession
-Sounds like he's been working very hard to better himself. He says many people don't realize how much work it actually takes.
-He got confidence from WJC and thinks that's the most important thing in hockey. Without confidence you can't get anything done
-Like Lempo said, Winnipeg scouts were at his games recently for 3 weeks, and he wrote a report for them from every game.
-He'll get his ELC contract after the season is done (Not sure which season, NHL or Liiga. Probably Liiga, yeah?)

Thanks for that. After reading every word in Finnish it dawned on me that I didn’t understand a single word......

Garbox

Feb 27, 2016
Finland

-Like Lempo said, Winnipeg scouts were at his games recently for 3 weeks, and he wrote a report for them from every game.

Not for three weeks, but one week that included three games.

Garbox

Feb 27, 2016
Finland
Oh wow. Yeah. I can't read, apparently.
I doubt that. It happens quite easily when you read quickly (especially when you already assume something because it was told you). But the main part was that HIFK made a really bad call on this one. On their behalf, might have been a good thing for KV's future.

GothenburgJet

Jan 11, 2017
"– Laukausta olen harjoitellut eniten vapaa-ajalla. Meillä oli autotallissa broidin kanssa maali, vedeltiin koko ajan koulun jälkeen. Ja kesällä mökillä, Vesalainen hymyilee."
"On my free time I've been working the most on my shot. We had a crease in our garage, where we used to be practicing shooting all day after school. And during summers we had a crease in our summer place, where we did the same. Vesalainen says smilingly"
Just thinking about a PP in the future, with Vesalainen on the right side one-timer spot and Laine on the other side. The jets team will be scary good!

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Just thinking about a PP in the future, with Vesalainen on the right side one-timer spot and Laine on the other side. The jets team will be scary good!

I doubt that is in the cards. More likely is a PP2 that is a mirror image and uses the opposite half wall for a QB to set up

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->