At 20th Overall the Kings Select Rasmus Kupari

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
As someone who watches pretty much every Reign game in person or on AHL live, I can tell you Kupari is going through those growing pains that most 1st year players struggle with in their rookie season. Very few players come into this league at 19 or 20 and just throw down the gauntlet and show everyone else how it's done. If you're doing that down here at that age as a rookie, you should be in the NHL. Many will argue the AHL is the 2nd most difficult men's league in the world. Others disagree with that, but just know this, from my personal observations the last 5 years watching the Reign closely, the good players start to figure it out around the Christmas/New Year timetable in their rookie campaign as they adjust to the speed of the game (Amadio). For others, the light bulb comes on around late Feb/March (Luff, Wagner, Roy). Players that start somewhat strong are usually older, 22-23 years old (Rempal) but don't progress much. A few that start later such as Walker came in with very high compete, they just had to be reigned in a bit (see what I did there) to be consistent as pros.

Kupari is such a smooth skater, something that will translate well to the next level. He's learning with less space that you will often lose the puck when you try and move through center ice into the offensive zone if you try and do too much. Sometimes dump and chase is the better part of valor, so he needs to cut down on the neutral zone turnover. Something he seems to be struggling with is his decision making when good scoring opportunities presents itself. I think sometimes when he should be selfish and shoot, he tries for the great pass too often. His overall vision so far seems decent but certainly not elite, which tends to potentially make his future as an RW. There is no shame in that, I see him with the potential of a 2nd line RW in the NHL as of right now. If I had to project today, I would say he will not be a regular NHL player in 20-21, but a 2nd year AHLer with the goal of the 21-22 season in the NHL at 21 years old. He was the 20th pick in the draft, not top 10, and that needs to be kept in perspective. He's working on his defense, which so far is not his strong point. I think he mixes it up on the boards a bit more than he is given credit for with some of the comments on the board. He has decent size, and he'll only get stronger.

As far as his role so far on the Reign, while he's had a variety of linemates, most of the season he was the 1st or 2nd line C, only recently put down to the 3rd line because he wasn't generating a lot of opportunities with his linemates. He did score the lone Reign goal last game. The Reign don't have a great deal of center depth, and it certainly makes sense based upon the situation to play him at center right now. That could change with Turcotte, Vilardi and Dudas in the pipeline. Sutter can play C or LW (I much prefer him at LW, he's not that skilled), and JAD is taking a C spot, with either Rymsha (last game) or Bouma playing C on the 4th line.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
DANDY DOZEN: Players to watch at world junior tournament
DANDY DOZEN: Players to watch at world junior tournament

Rasmus Kupari, Centre, Finland.

It won’t be much fun if Canada doesn’t see the Finns again at some point, right? They need a quarterfinal rematch. That would mean running into Kupari, the 19-year-old first-rounder on loan from the Kings. This is world junior No. 3 for the 6-foot-1, 185-pounder from Kotka. He had a goal and five points in seven games last year after being held pointless in a more complementary role at the 2018 event. When Jesperi Kotkaniemi cracked the Habs roster, Kupari became the main man in the middle and thrived in the role. He had six goals and eight points in his first half-season with the Ontario Reign, the Kings’ American league affiliate.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
I am really missing him.

He already had 6 goals, could fare well right now and ended up with 20 goals.

It really is a shame he had to get injured. Would have loved to see him and Vilardi together in some capacity whether on the powerplay or maybe on a line. Pretty much I just want him playing for his development. Really rooting for him to make it one day.

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
As someone who watches pretty much every Reign game in person or on AHL live, I can tell you Kupari is going through those growing pains that most 1st year players struggle with in their rookie season. Very few players come into this league at 19 or 20 and just throw down the gauntlet and show everyone else how it's done. If you're doing that down here at that age as a rookie, you should be in the NHL. Many will argue the AHL is the 2nd most difficult men's league in the world. Others disagree with that, but just know this, from my personal observations the last 5 years watching the Reign closely, the good players start to figure it out around the Christmas/New Year timetable in their rookie campaign as they adjust to the speed of the game (Amadio). For others, the light bulb comes on around late Feb/March (Luff, Wagner, Roy). Players that start somewhat strong are usually older, 22-23 years old (Rempal) but don't progress much. A few that start later such as Walker came in with very high compete, they just had to be reigned in a bit (see what I did there) to be consistent as pros.

Kupari is such a smooth skater, something that will translate well to the next level. He's learning with less space that you will often lose the puck when you try and move through center ice into the offensive zone if you try and do too much. Sometimes dump and chase is the better part of valor, so he needs to cut down on the neutral zone turnover. Something he seems to be struggling with is his decision making when good scoring opportunities presents itself. I think sometimes when he should be selfish and shoot, he tries for the great pass too often. His overall vision so far seems decent but certainly not elite, which tends to potentially make his future as an RW. There is no shame in that, I see him with the potential of a 2nd line RW in the NHL as of right now. If I had to project today, I would say he will not be a regular NHL player in 20-21, but a 2nd year AHLer with the goal of the 21-22 season in the NHL at 21 years old. He was the 20th pick in the draft, not top 10, and that needs to be kept in perspective. He's working on his defense, which so far is not his strong point. I think he mixes it up on the boards a bit more than he is given credit for with some of the comments on the board. He has decent size, and he'll only get stronger.

As far as his role so far on the Reign, while he's had a variety of linemates, most of the season he was the 1st or 2nd line C, only recently put down to the 3rd line because he wasn't generating a lot of opportunities with his linemates. He did score the lone Reign goal last game. The Reign don't have a great deal of center depth, and it certainly makes sense based upon the situation to play him at center right now. That could change with Turcotte, Vilardi and Dudas in the pipeline. Sutter can play C or LW (I much prefer him at LW, he's not that skilled), and JAD is taking a C spot, with either Rymsha (last game) or Bouma playing C on the 4th line.

There's a saying in politics. If you have to spend time explaining, then you're losing. I wouldn't know Kupari from a duct-taped banana, but if "explaining" is any indication of the player, then your in-depth description of what's going on with him would seem to indicate that Kupari is, essentially, "losing".

Is it too soon to start using the term "bust"? :thumbu:

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA
Is it too soon to start using the term "bust"?

Yes. He's 19. An unfortunate injury in the world juniors for sure, but **** happens. Need to see how he does in the AHL next season at the very least before we even think about throwing the term "bust" out there.

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
There's a saying in politics. If you have to spend time explaining, then you're losing. I wouldn't know Kupari from a duct-taped banana, but if "explaining" is any indication of the player, then your in-depth description of what's going on with him would seem to indicate that Kupari is, essentially, "losing".

Yeah, but winning and losing in politics has nothing to do with being right or wrong - especially in the Twitter epoch.

Reactions: Kings man 4 life

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014

Of course, it’s far too soon. He was just starting to put it together in the AHL before he headed out to the WJC. He has a ton of talent and most of his issues are coachable ones. The kid has a good attitude and once he moves to wing will start to look the part.

I don’t mind prospect to like him playing a lot at C, even if they likely project as a W. It’s a good way of rounding out their game and developing the defensive side of things in particular. Who knows how it ends up but the kids journey is only just beginning.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
Brief scouting report from last night's game:

Good: Kupari is clearly confident in himself as a puck carrier, and almost always looked to drive the net or try to beat his defender with speed and body positioning. His goal was a perfect example of this going right. He also seems to thrive off of quick give-and-go passes.

Bad: I'd heard Wrobo talk about Kupari needing to tighten up his game in critical areas, and boy I'm not sure I've seen a player have more giveaways right at either blueline. He loves to use the whole O-Zone, but that becomes a problem when he's stripped of the puck up high.

All in all, I think the confidence is the most important thing, as the bad can be coached out. Hopefully being pushed by all the younger prospects will have him on the Kings roster providing scoring depth sooner rather than later.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->