Prospect Info: At 15th Overall the Golden Knights Select Erik Brannstrom

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
I'm open to the discussing of drafting one over the other but at #15, there was no CLEAR option over Brannstrom, he was picked exactly where he was projected to be picked. Liljegren has more attractive and flashy tools but Brannstrom had a way better draft season.

https://www.nhl.com/news/vegas-gold...glass-nick-suzuki-erik-brannstrom/c-290109354

On this story is a nice photo with Suzuki, Glass and Brandstrom. Glass is 2.75 inches taller than Suzuki but Glass looks at least twice as much taller than Brandstrom. If Glass is 5.5 inches taller than Brandstrom, Brandstrom must be 5'8.
At 5'8 Brandstrom would have fallen to the 2nd round. McPhee was just so naive to get fooled.
The better option at #15 would have been Valimaki.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Glass grew like a foot in the last year or so, from what I've heard.

Perhaps Brannstrom isn't done growing, these are all young dudes.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
People are overrating size here. Yeah, size in a defender is the most important (maybe besides goalie) but the game is changing.

Open your mind. Ive personally lived through multiple era's of hockey like the dead puck era, the post lockout balls to the wall offense, etc.

Smaller guys are making bigger impacts than they ever have. Most clutch and grab behemoth defenseman don't exist for the most part anymore. Enforcer's are all but gone from the game.

Gaudreau, Krug, Ellis, Pageau, Marchand, Spurgeon, Atkinson, and so on and so on are great players in the league.

Size is a plus, but it's not a requirement anymore. And Hell, some people mature at different ages. For all we know he could top out at 5 11 and 190 pounds.

The skill the kid possesses is undeniable. Look past the size and see the player.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Smaller guys are making bigger impacts than they ever have.

Gaudreau, Krug, Ellis, Pageau, Marchand, Spurgeon, Atkinson, and so on and so on are great players in the league.

Size is a plus, but it's not a requirement anymore. And Hell, some people mature at different ages. For all we know he could top out at 5 11 and 190 pounds.

You don't draft a 5'8 smurf at #15, you let him fall deeper. At #15 Brannstrom wasn't a steal. Brannstrom will never be 5'11 without shoes. For every Spurgeon I can find many Collbergs.

Chiripa20

May 29, 2017
Henderson, Nevada
From just reading write ups and viewing highlights, the kids skills are elite. Very much a good gamble at 15 with the 3 first round picks we had and how they were untilized as a whole. Love the pick and am looking forward to jumping up from my seat after he makes another quick seeing eye pass for a tapin goal🤑

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
Curious to see how to two swedes do in their inaugural seasons. From my understanding, Brannstrom was easily the safer pick over Liljegren. As a Leafs fan I'm very happy you guys got the three guys you did. Solid Fwd in Glass, solid goal scorer in Suzucki and a possible number 1D down the road. :handclap: Can't wait to watch this team grow and feel bad for Vancouver that Vegas is already better :popcorn:

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
Curious to see how to two swedes do in their inaugural seasons. From my understanding, Brannstrom was easily the safer pick over Liljegren. As a Leafs fan I'm very happy you guys got the three guys you did. Solid Fwd in Glass, solid goal scorer in Suzucki and a possible number 1D down the road. :handclap: Can't wait to watch this team grow and feel bad for Vancouver that Vegas is already better :popcorn:

Don't forget Hague; he was a legit late round one prospect. Their first draft looks very strong, with a reach at 15 countered by the value they got on Hague.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
You don't draft a 5'8 smurf at #15, you let him fall deeper. At #15 Brannstrom wasn't a steal. Brannstrom will never be 5'11 without shoes. For every Spurgeon I can find many Collbergs.

Smurf is possibly a temporary title.

If he grows 2 inches, he is taller than the average male.

Besides, leg strength are the most important muscles you can build up.

Karlsson is no Mike Fisher in his upper body. But per his size he has very strong legs.

You can make up physical play in the corners with a quick and accurate stick.

I don't know how his stick is, but he's a project. 2 more years playing full time in the SHL.

SHL has a lighter schedule than the NA leagues. More time for weight training. 5 foot 9 185 pounds is just enough size to be a defensive player.

Karlsson can lay down some hits, but his defense is from his quick stick, and quickly transitioning from defense to offense.

Vegas has a lot of DFD. If Engelland is still around in 2-3 years, that would be a good fit.

I would put money in Brannstrom not being a bust. You don't have elite skills, and bust with a solid IQ. Hockey IQ is the main factor in players busting.

Heinz Skitz Velvet

Jul 5, 2012
Brannstrom not just turning fans/experts heads. Fellow prospects as well.

Granted, it's development camp, but size is clearly not an issue or a disadvantage.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I know being a Ducks fan too it's an easy comparison but Vatanen was among the first ducks prospects I followed closely post draft and Brannstrom is practically a clone. Though I'll say this, Brannstrom seems more naturally defensively aware and reactive than Vatanen is now.

Obviously quality of competition is different but he definitely stood out.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
I truly believe if Brannstrom was 2 inches taller he would've competed with Heiskanen / Makar for the 3rd / 4th overall pick.

Hopefully his development camp (extremely small sample size, I know) changes some people's opinions on him already. He was from all reports, by far the best player at the camp.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I truly believe if Brannstrom was 2 inches taller he would've competed with Heiskanen / Makar for the 3rd / 4th overall pick.

Hopefully his development camp (extremely small sample size, I know) changes some people's opinions on him already. He was from all reports, by far the best player at the camp.

That's my impression so far.

Im at today's scrimmage too trying to get in as a walk in.

Heinz Skitz Velvet

Jul 5, 2012
Small sample size, but by far most consistent and best player at camp

Brannstrom knows what he does well, but more importantly he knows what he needs to work on

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
Small sample size, but by far most consistent and best player at camp

Brannstrom knows what he does well, but more importantly he knows what he needs to work on

Really looking forward to how Brannstrom handles camp. Not gonna get my hopes up based on a rookie orientation week, but as I look at the depth chart it sure would be nice to see him win a roster spot. Unlikely as it is boy would it be nice.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Sinbin has two short videos up on YouTube from development camp. They're only like 2-3 minutes each but it's better than nothing.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Seems like you guys have mixed reviews on him but I would have killed for Brannstrom on the Jets. I love all your first four picks.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Let's not get too ahead of ourselves (ahem...Maple Laff fans) and start projecting Brannstrom to turn into a borderline hall of fame player.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
He is my 2nd favourite prospect from the entire draft.

Excellent defenceman.

Star potential.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Those point dekes. Super risky but the kid is making people whiff.

I hate to say the name again and compare him to a generational defenseman, but I see a Karlsson light in the making.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->