Prospect Info: At 15th Overall the Golden Knights Select Erik Brannstrom

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
So many Erik Karlsson comparisons Swedish, first name, excellent skater, high hockey IQ, great first pass, though it as small during draft year and drafted 15th overall

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Going to have to watch a little of him. Apparently this was a stretch.

Hopefully the scouts are right. :laugh:

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
My favorite Swede in this draft. Super fun to watch, really slick. If he just makes the jump he can be a 50+ point defenseman.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Going to have to watch a little of him. Apparently this was a stretch.

Hopefully the scouts are right. :laugh:

Maybe a slight stretch, but nothing too crazy. This draft is going to be the type where teams are going to vary from projections because they're going to have very different lists. Generally speaking, "weak" drafts usually mean that there isn't a consensus more than there isn't talent.

Either way, it's a good chance to take when you have multiple picks and Glass and Suzuki are in the fold.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
With a lot of NHL defenseman, this kid has years to develop and put it together.

A player like Ghost for Philly would be an awesome selection at number 15.

Imagine a first pairing PP in a couple years of Brannstrom - Theodore.

Theo to pass the puck to Brannstrom to unleash some one timers.

Absolutely love the pick. Slightly dissapointed Liljegren wasn't selected, but offensive defenseman are an extremely valuable commodity.

And from the past drafts I've followed, picking late risers is always a strong strategy.

I could see 2 more years in Sweden, and then 1 or even less than that in the AHL before he's ready for 3rd pairing duty, but will be well worth the wait.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
Welcome to Vegas Erik, thinking McPhee sees you QBing the power play! Let's get it!

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Might be the steal of the draft. Brannstrom needs to fill out but he could easily be the best D from this class when it's all said and done.

Fun fact: Brannstrom is the sixth Swede McPhee has taken in the first since 2006. And during that time he has always taken one Swede in the first whenever he's had multiple picks.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
Not a reach. Was amazing at the U18 tournament.

Yeah his numbers look pretty good there. Looked up his stats there and the U20 and tbh he was even better at SuperElit (9G, 14A in 19 games). That's him vs his age range.

When he went up to SHL though he had a predictable dip. Kid's gonna need some seasoning, but I admit maybe there's more to him than I realized.

Either way, he's a Golden Knight now, so hoping he proves the staff right.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
After drafting two centers who don't skate very fast, it was great to see a speedy defenseman, though his ceiling seems to be a Brian Rafalski type career instead of a star top pairing guy.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Brännström was perhaps my favorite prospect for this years draft, and one of the top names I wanted at #17.

Size is something that'll come up, but I'd like to point out that he's very stocky and and smart about how to neutralize it. Reach is a bigger issue than puck battles probably.

I think he could become a terrific driver of a top 4 pairing, but I see a limitation where his effectiveness will be somewhat dependent on the team having the depth on defense to control matchups.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Didn't know much about him until he won me over at the u18, then I did my homework on him and he looks like he can quarterback our power play for the next 10 plus years. Great pick

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Apparently this was a stretch.

One of the youngest in the draft but still I think he won't grow more, otherwise he would be taller already. nhl had listed him at 5'9, he was at the combine.
Was among the Top 25, #18 in VO2max (ml/kg/min), #6 in Fatigue, #16 in Bench Press 70-80% of Body Weight, #22 in Left Hand Grip, #24 in Pull-Ups Consecutive.

This whole trade with NYI was garbage. They could have told NYI they will draft Hickey, another smurf D taken #4 overall in 2007 and also helpless in the crease, which NYI would have been very happy about and secure another draft pick.
Or much better, draft a good player and don't trade him for picks in 2019 or later.

They put themselves in a corner because smurf D won't pan out often. Would be interesting to compare his scouting report with Hickey's.

Last edited:

Anarchy Joe

Jun 30, 2013
One of the youngest in the draft but still I think he won't grow more, otherwise he would be taller already. nhl had listed him at 5'9, he was at the combine.
Was among the Top 25 in VO2max (ml/kg/min), Bench Press 70-80% of Body Weight, Left Hand Grip, Pull-Ups Consecutive.

This whole trade with NYI was garbage. They could have told NYI they will draft Hickey, another smurf D taken #4 overall in 2007 and also helpless in the crease, which NYI would have been very happy about and secure another draft pick.
Or much better, draft a good player and don't trade him for picks in 2019 or later.

They put themselves in a corner because smurf D won't pan out often. Would be interesting to compare his scouting report with Hickey's but I'm too lazy.

I grew like 3 or 4 inches when I was 17 almost 18 went from 5-8 to 6 or 6-1 its not impossible but it is unlikely

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Was among the Top 25 in VO2max (ml/kg/min), Bench Press 70-80% of Body Weight, Left Hand Grip, Pull-Ups Consecutive.

They put themselves in a corner because smurf D won't pan out often. Would be interesting to compare his scouting report with Hickey's but I'm too lazy.

You seem to be having an agitated last few days.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Loved the first two picks for Vegas.

I agree with those saying Brannstrom was a bit of a reach though, think McPhee could've done better at #15. He's your typical elite Junior player but may struggle with the transition to play against the bigger forwards in the NHL.

Liljegren was available, who is bigger, stronger, and a better skater. Brannstrom has a better first pass and awareness but lacks the shot of Liljegren, who would've been my pick at #15.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Luv your first two picks and the hague pick. But i really think not taking valimaki or liljegren will come back to bite. Not saying brannstrom can't be an nhl'er a la ryan ellis...but i just think Liljegren will be the better player.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong

I agree with those saying Brannstrom was a bit of a reach though, think McPhee could've done better at #15. He's your typical elite Junior player but may struggle with the transition to play against the bigger forwards in the NHL.

Liljegren was available, who is bigger, stronger, and a better skater. Brannstrom has a better first pass and awareness but lacks the shot of Liljegren, who would've been my pick at #15.

Liljegren is bigger and a better skater but Brannstrom is stronger (he has 2 lbs over Liljegren while being 2 inches shorter; also out performed him in all strength related tests at the combine).

Also, Liljegren has a wildly more inconsistent season, not showing up at the WJC U-18 while Brannstrom found times playing 20+ minutes in the SHL. That is not typical of a any junior player getting a sneak peek as a top four d-man in one of the best leagues in the world.

I'm open to the discussing of drafting one over the other but at #15, there was no CLEAR option over Brannstrom, he was picked exactly where he was projected to be picked. Liljegren has more attractive and flashy tools but Brannstrom had a way better draft season.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015

Liljegren comes with a lot of questions. I would not have taken him there given his inconsistencies. Those who like him blame the health, and point to his earlier production. Too much excuse making for me, would not have touched him until round 2 for that reason, and after some other guys who did not have on-ice production dips.

I was surprised by the Brannstrom pick, but at least with him he has zero questions on the ice with his production. Time will tell.

Sleestak Nation

Jul 6, 2009
Land of the Lost
... Not saying brannstrom can't be an nhl'er a la ryan ellis...but i just think Liljegren will be the better player.

If Brannstrom becomes a Ryan Ellis type of player, that means Liljegren will have to be Karlsson redux or Nick Lidstrom V2, or at the very least a John Klingberg to be a better player.

Maybe Liljegren reaches that level, but if VGK end up with an Ellis type player in Brannstrom it would have to be considered a huge win for the draft slot.

Last edited:

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Liljegren is bigger and a better skater but Brannstrom is stronger (he has 2 lbs over Liljegren while being 2 inches shorter; also out performed him in all strength related tests at the combine).
You are wrong
188 lb and 71.5 inches for Liljegren
179 lb and 69 inches for Brandstrom

At the combine Mean Power Output (watt/kg)
11,9 Liljegren
11,8 or less, Brandstrom is not listed

At the combine Peak Power Output (watt/kg)
16,2 Liljegren
15,7 or less, Brandstrom is not listed

At the combine Vertical Jump (in)
20,72 Liljegren
19,77 or less, Brandstrom is not listed

At the combine Standing Long Jump (in)
111,5 Liljegren
105,5 or less, Brandstrom is not listed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad