At 13th Overall the Stars take Ty Dellandrea

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
it wouldnt shock me if they had this kid in their top 5. They mentioned something about possibly trading back and perhaps they got cold feet and just took their guy. Maybe there were rumblings of someone else being after him early.
Either that or as soon as Dobson was picked at 12 nobody was all that interested in moving up .

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
I do believe we could have moved back to around 20 and grabbed him, that's the part the bugs me. Although who knows if some other team wanted him

This draft was hard to predict

I do like this pick, he sounds like a good player at least. He's not a project at least, but could have grabbed another second rounder though

Hey at least I haven't seen us on the winner/losers of day 1 if that helps anyone Haha

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
I remember reading a number of people who simply stat watched Robert Thomas for last year's draft and said similar things about his potential in the NHL. Thomas is now a top 5-10 talent out of that draft.

There was a precipitous drop-off in talent after pick #12, and all the players from 13 until the mid 20s on consensus rating clustered together, which made it come down to preference. I personally wanted Farabee, but then again, his season's stat line was skewed by playing with Wahlstrom and Hughes.

Reactions: Bfantz

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
If theres so many prospects who are similarly ranked then no one is going to want to pay a price to move up. At a certain point you just have to pick your guy and from the sounds of it there was other teams that wanted Dellandrea

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
What strikes me is how much the interview seems to have played a part in their decision. That, and some familiarity from some other source, rather than the "experts" draft rankings.

I agree that an interview to make sure they guy won't be a locker room turd is in order. Or have other problems. But, mostly, I would go on results.

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
Ill say this, the Stars apparently had 6 guys they didnt mind taking at 13, when I saw the list I thought the were either trading up, or down or both, because half the list, no way they dropped to us. 4 were gone by the time we picked, with only Dellandrea and Bokk left from our 6 at our pick. In hindsight I wonder if Dellandrea was the guy we planned on taking, and the other 4 were the only guys we would take over him if they dropped, except Bokk and maybe Hayton, i hope those were our back ups if Dellandrea was gone. I really didnt way Hayton, thankyou AZ.

I also think they weighted his second half of the season more importantly. He played amazing, without any help. Being diagnosed with Celiac disease and changing his diet, seemed to coincide with his uptick in play too, so that might have been holding him back for awhile.

Reactions: Kcb12345

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
He definitely grew on me. Excited to see how he'll progress.

It's funny because pretty much all the scouting websites were calling him a second round steal so when a team decides to draft him where he probably should go, it's suddenly a reach.

Ty would have been on teams Top 15 draftees if he played for a better team. But playing on a bad team gave him opportunities a stacked team wouldn't. He's good on both ends of the ice, has fantastic acceleration, and has no fear getting into the slot for scoring opportunites. Also a very good kid according to friends in Flint.

He has Vinny Damphousse's icy stare which is always a good thing.

I was high on him when posting at the Habs board for trying to get him but Dallas was smart to shoot for him at 13th overall. People keep projecting him as a 2C/3C but I think he could be the type of 2C that guys like Ryan Kesler were. If he develops right, no injuries, I could see him filling the role Nieuwendyk once did in Dallas. And I'm an outsider so I can outlandish things like that.

Reactions: eartotheground

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
I do believe we could have moved back to around 20 and grabbed him, that's the part the bugs me. Although who knows if some other team wanted him

This draft was hard to predict

I do like this pick, he sounds like a good player at least. He's not a project at least, but could have grabbed another second rounder though

Hey at least I haven't seen us on the winner/losers of day 1 if that helps anyone Haha

I don't think he'd been their at #20. Highly touted by a number of scouts, be happy the Stars got a good one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad