Prospect Info: Matthew "The Bison" Coronato (13 Overall 2021) - Signed to ELC

newmanager

Feb 5, 2010
Neither Vesey nor Schultz were first round picks. Think both were drafted in the third I think.

Last college player to play all four years and not sign with the team that drafted him was Wheeler and reportedly, the Coyotes didn't even want to sign him.

Holloway, a literal Flames fan spent all of one year in college and then signed with the Oilers.

Expecting Coronato to leave at this point is just baseless fearmongering.
I think Kevin Hayes was the last first rounder picked that didn't sign with the team that drafted him.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Cole Caufield, but more bigger.

Don't tell Habs fans, they might have an aneurysm
I once said that Cole Caufield would have a tremendous year hitting 25 goals as a rookie, and was essentially told he'll score 25 in his sleep and that I'm off my rocker lol.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Cole Caufield, but more bigger.

Coronato > overrated Cole Caufield

The Bison will be the next DeBrincat.

Up to 6 points in 2 games for Matt. It should be said though that Harvard is destroying these teams. Scores have been 9-3 and 7-3. Still 6 points out of 16 goals is pretty tight.

I'd like to know the lines, but I have no idea who Matt is playing with right now.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Coronato > overrated Cole Caufield

The Bison will be the next DeBrincat.

Up to 6 points in 2 games for Matt. It should be said though that Harvard is destroying these teams. Scores have been 9-3 and 7-3. Still 6 points out of 16 goals is pretty tight.

I'd like to know the lines, but I have no idea who Matt is playing with right now.

These are the types of guys that'll keep Calgary in the competition window if they were to trade for Eichel.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
I would move Zary toting him as a top C prospect long before I move Coronato. I see a guy who is just going to score goals at the NHL level with some playmaking chops to go with it. He was the best goal scorer the USHL has seen in a long time not named Caufield. Now two games into his college career he has a solo effort PP goal, a solo effort SH goal, and a nice net front deflection at even strength. I’m very high on him but I see a guy who when paired with a great C, he will be lethal. Dangle 2/3 of Monahan, Valimaki, and Dube, then Zary followed by whatever picks it takes.

We could be two years away from:

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Tkachuk
Mangiapane-Eichel-Coronato
Pelletier-Backlund-Coleman

That has the potential to be an insane top nine.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I would move Zary toting him as a top C prospect long before I move Coronato. I see a guy who is just going to score goals at the NHL level with some playmaking chops to go with it. He was the best goal scorer the USHL has seen in a long time not named Caufield. Now two games into his college career he has a solo effort PP goal, a solo effort SH goal, and a nice net front deflection at even strength. I’m very high on him but I see a guy who when paired with a great C, he will be lethal. Dangle 2/3 of Monahan, Valimaki, and Dube, then Zary followed by whatever picks it takes.

We could be two years away from:

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Tkachuk
Mangiapane-Eichel-Coronato
Pelletier-Backlund-Coleman

That has the potential to be an insane top nine.

I agree with everything, but if Coronato is the difference between getting or not getting Jack, we do it all day.

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
The Sabres have eleven draftees from 2021, nine of whom are forwards, and four of whom can play RW. Even with Coronato off to a hot start this year, and showing some promise, I have doubts that he would be the difference in an Eichel deal. Buffalo's record would seem to indicate that they're doing something right, but on paper their D looks atrocious. My guess is that Adams is after one of our current top-four, plus Mony, Dube, 1st and a prospect not named Zary or Phillips, and Tre is rightfully telling him to pound sand.

Last edited:

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
They will want Zary. I liked what I saw from Zary, he looks to be that natural C type where he just always supports the puck for quick little passes. If they trade their #1C they are going to want Zary. Pelletier and The Bison look legit too though

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
This is the guy that would have to go the other way. Pretty excited about him, doesn't have blue chip status perception across the league (yet) but I think he's our best prospect by far

I suspect Buffalo would be leery of taking a prospect that can just walk as a UFA, but who knows.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
I suspect Buffalo would be leery of taking a prospect that can just walk as a UFA, but who knows.
Every prospect can leave as a UFA if they don’t sign.
I would think Sabres would ask for both Zary and Coronoto as part of the deal. They would need salary coming back to to hit the cap floor after losing Eichel’s $10 million.
If Don Maloney is following the Sabres on the road then there must be other pieces going from the Sabres which would mean more salary coming back.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I will be really disappointed it Coronato is one of the pieces in an Eichel trade. I'd rather the Flames give up Zary.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Every prospect can leave as a UFA if they don’t sign.
I would think Sabres would ask for both Zary and Coronoto as part of the deal. They would need salary coming back to to hit the cap floor after losing Eichel’s $10 million.
If Don Maloney is following the Sabres on the road then there must be other pieces going from the Sabres which would mean more salary coming back.

Yes and no. Difference of going back into the draft vs UFA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad