Prospect Info: Matthew "The Bison" Coronato (13 Overall 2021) - Signed to ELC

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
After their promising 2019-20 season was cut short due to COVID-19, the Chicago Steel came back with a lineup that was just as strong or stronger this year, despite losing some of their top players. Forward Matthew Coronato was a huge part of the success, moving up to the top line. He scored 48 goals and 37 assists for 85 points in 51 games this year. Coronato led the league in goals and plus/minus. He has added seven goals and 10 points in six playoff games, helping the Steel to the Clark Cup Final. The series is currently tied at a game a piece.

In 2019-20, Coronato was a productive rookie despite not getting as much ice time as he would get this season. A third-round pick in the 2019 USHL Draft, he put up 18 goals as well as 22 assists for 40 points in 45 games. Coronato was also named to the USHL Second All-Rookie Team.

Scouting Report

2021 NHL Draft #14: Matthew Coronato Scouting Report

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I've watched a couple of his shift by shift videos and I'm kind of meh. The production is there but I don't know if he's as skilled as the numbers suggest. High hockey IQ though.

Hope I'm wrong and he's just as good as his stats suggest.

Last edited:

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
From Matthew Coronato | Matthew Coronato Profile | Matthew Coronato Scouting Report 2021

Adam Kimelman - NHL.com - July 12th: "A dominant offensive force who blends top-end goal scoring, strong skating and a physical approach, similar to United States Hockey Hall of Fame forward John LeClair."

Mike Morreale - NHL.com - July 12th: "The USHL Forward of the Year was second in the league with 85 points and led the league with 19 power-play goals and eight game-winning goals."

Hockey Prospecting - July 8th: "He’s got the profile in the model of a player that should and normally does go in the early teens. No serious red flags that I can discern from what the scouts say."

Josh Bell of FC Hockey - July 8th: "He’s an all-situations player that shows strong puck skill and great transition. He needs to improve his explosiveness and decision-making at times."

Dylan Kirill of FC Hockey - July 8th: "Contributing on both sides of the puck consistently, he will be a reliable and effective player that many teams would love to have."

Nick Richard - Dobber Prospects - July 7th: "Coronato is dangerous as a playmaker as well and his vision should become a bigger factor as he progresses towards the NHL and gets to play more in more structured systems with players that can take advantage of the chances he creates."

Scott Wheeler - The Atheletic - June 22nd: "He’s a determined, feisty player with the small-area skill package needed to play that kind of game. He’s also got rare spatial awareness which helps him understand where he is in relation to pressure and play off of it."

Steve Kournianos - The Draft Analyst - May 24th: "Always moving in a zillion directions, the Long Island native and Harvard recruit scored a USHL-best 48 goals but is versatile and creative enough to dominate as a center or wing."

Sam Cosentino - Sportsnet - May 12th: "Is considered one of the top skaters in the class. A driver of play and not a sidecar on the best team in the league."

Mike G. Morreale - NHL.com - Apr. 23rd: "The 18-year-old has a good wrist shot and is dangerous with the puck on his stick. He's committed to play at Harvard next season."

Clare McManus - Dobber Prospects - Mar. 8: "He does an adequate job of finding space to make a play, whether it is feeding a teammate a pass or finishing a shot. Defensively, his game is still a growing field, but he does a solid job of moving his feet, bringing a high motor, and being tenacious on pucks along the boards."

Tony Ferrari - Dobber Prospects - Feb. 22nd: "Matthew Coronato’s biggest weakness is his pace of play but the mind and offensive game are there. In a class without many great finishers, he is one of them."

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I'll just get it out of the way now before it's posted a hundred times over the next 3 years, he'll go to Harvard, tear it up and then refuse to sign the Flames and become a UFA.

So there is no need for another dozen posts like this.

Last edited:

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
20210723_194032.jpg

Attachments

• 20210723_193906.png
    20210723_193906.png
    91.5 KB · Views: 4

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Don't know anything about him but they should be confident he doesn't pull a Fox. Harvard is hard to pass up in order to sign with a small market Canadian team.

At least it's not bust name Chaz Lucius

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I'll just get it out of the way now before it's posted a hundred times over the next 3 years, he'll go to Harvard, tear it up and then refuse to sign the Flames and become a UFA.

I came here to post this.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Everyone talking about an Adam Fox situation, but how often (if ever) has a first round pick played 4 years in college just to become a UFA?

Vesey, Schultz are the only two "big" ones I remember. Fox played 3 years before he left for the Rangers.

Boeser signed after 2 years, Kyle Connor played 1 year in the NCAA and bailed for f***ing Winnipeg.

Gaudreau played 3 years and signed with the Flames, then signed an extension for 6 years.

If Coronato has a good first year like PPG+ I think the Flames try to sign him and he signs to play in 2023.

Reactions: User1996

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Vesey, Schultz are the only two "big" ones I remember.

Neither Vesey nor Schultz were first round picks. Think both were drafted in the third I think.

Last college player to play all four years and not sign with the team that drafted him was Wheeler and reportedly, the Coyotes didn't even want to sign him.

Holloway, a literal Flames fan spent all of one year in college and then signed with the Oilers.

Expecting Coronato to leave at this point is just baseless fearmongering.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad