Prospect Info: At 109 the Flames take Adam Ruzicka

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
If he can work on consistency issues he seems like a steal.

Looking forward to see how he progresses next year.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I like this pick. Probably not a super high ceiling, but we don't need him to have one. Having a 6'4 C on your 3rd line is fine by me.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I like this pick. Probably not a super high ceiling, but we don't need him to have one. Having a 6'4 C on your 3rd line is fine by me.

I think he has a high ceiling based on his skill level and big body. He models his game after Malkin which is intriguing, he has no where near Malkin's speed though (and no I am not saying he will be anywhere near Geno).

It will be interesting to see his numbers next year. He just turned 18 last month, is 6'4" 210 lbs and apparently a fitness freak by all reports (did very well in the combine as well) so if he can work on consistency issues I think we'll get a real good player.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think he has a high ceiling based on his skill level and big body. He models his game after Malkin which is intriguing, he has no where near Malkin's speed though (and no I am not saying he will be anywhere near Geno).

It will be interesting to see his numbers next year. He just turned 18 last month, is 6'4" 210 lbs and apparently a fitness freak by all reports (did very well in the combine as well) so if he can work on consistency issues I think we'll get a real good player.

I have zero expectations for this pick (or any in this draft except for Valimaki), despite that I like the pick. Joe Colborne had nice tools, he modelled his game after Thornton. So let's say Ruzicka pans out, what's a realistic projection for him? I would say a Martin Hanzal type of player, a nice forward with size, that can play in your top 9 and make you hard to play against. I think that's realistic and anything better is all gravy and found money.

Tuulola has nice tools as well, he had one good scrimmage and everyone was saying he's gonna be a stud. Well now that the hype has levelled off people are more realistic. Nice physical tools for lower picks generally mean a potential rare player (think Ferland) that can fill a particular role for your team. That's why I like the pick and am optimistic how he develops.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Ironically, Hunter Smith was a good player for the heat last year for his age. His numbers probably don't do him justice as he wasn't playing power play.

Yeah, nobody talks about him anymore. Very underwhelm for a 2nd rounder. Does he still have a shot at the NHL, even as a goon?

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Yeah, nobody talks about him anymore. Very underwhelm for a 2nd rounder. Does he still have a shot at the NHL, even as a goon?

I've always had him above Carrol, but he's another guy that I'm hoping will get more icetime & improve. These 2 and Poirier have 1 more year to prove themselves worthy of a next contract.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

I think he (Smith) has more shot after last year than he did in the first three post-draft years. No one is making the NHL as a goon going forward so offense and cycling are going to be what gets a guy like Hunter into the show. What i expect is he'll have a good year next year, maybe get a game 82 cup of coffee. A year later he will get qualified, pass through waivers smoothly, get a short callup at some point that year where he is Garnet Hathaway is and just adrenealine fueled, get qualified again, pass waivers again, and finally break out that year as a prospect who could play fourth line and make an impact. It's a long road for Smith ahead so he has to prove an ability to improve every year.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I think he (Smith) has more shot after last year than he did in the first three post-draft years. No one is making the NHL as a goon going forward so offense and cycling are going to be what gets a guy like Hunter into the show. What i expect is he'll have a good year next year, maybe get a game 82 cup of coffee. A year later he will get qualified, pass through waivers smoothly, get a short callup at some point that year where he is Garnet Hathaway is and just adrenealine fueled, get qualified again, pass waivers again, and finally break out that year as a prospect who could play fourth line and make an impact. It's a long road for Smith ahead so he has to prove an ability to improve every year.

You talk about it like you've already seen it happen :laugh:

I agree though about that general development path. It'll take Hunter a long time to crack this league if he does.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Smith's future will be determined by his skating. If he's continuing to improve in that regard, then he will get another contract. If they feel his skating won't get any better then they will cut ties after his ELC. But he has all the other skills required to be a solid bottom 6 forward and penalty killer.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Done some more reading on Ruzicka. He really messed up his draft year.
A year ago he was a top prospect. Dropped like a rock.

I am not holding my breath but hopefully something is there and some how he can find it.

We can have our own Liljegren :laugh:

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Ruzicka has the tools to be in NHL. But fans of Flames, let him time for development. Be patient (i know you are after Mark Jankowski draft ;) ). In 5 years, Ruzicka could be used also in first team.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Ruzicka has the tools to be in NHL. But fans of Flames, let him time for development. Be patient (i know you are after Mark Jankowski draft ;) ). In 5 years, Ruzicka could be used also in first team.
Best player in the draft in 10 years? :sarcasm:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Really, really looking forward to seeing what he does in Stockton. Would love to see a 0.75-ppg year from him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->