Astros punishments: Hinch and Luhnow suspended and fired, team loses 1st and 2nd picks in 2020, 2021

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
you think a ring and money compare to a guy and his family getting death threats? sure he won a title with them but that doesn't mean **** now. that ring is tainted anyways

like i said, he didn't have to put his name on this but he chose to do so. he didn't benefit from this is any sort of way. funny how people like you will go so far to make him out to be the bad guy. i guess you all would just rather the asstros were still cheating and getting away with it
You make a lot of bad assumptions. Where did I ever paint him as the bad guy?

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Carson Smith and Danny Farquhar also put their names on it at the same time, but no one talks about them because they're fa's.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
you've sure spent a lot of time calling him out for various things

might as well just admit that you think he's a snitch

There was also plenty of time from when he left Houston to when he actually went public. He sat on the info, so I'm not going to act like he's perfect in all this. He shouldn't get treated like he has, and he's not a snitch, but he could've come out earlier.

Do you even read what I say?

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Speaking of the ring, Fiers has some thoughts:

A's Mike Fiers says he's received death threats, plans to keep Astros ring

One contention among Astros fans is that Fiers was a part of the 2017 World Series team and as a result, he benefited from the team’s use of video technology to steal signs, too. There have been calls for him to return his World Series ring.

Asked if he’s considered doing that, Fiers said he might have once mentioned it as a possibility to A’s teammate Ryan Buchter, but he has no plans to do so now, unless it is required of the rest of the 2017 team.

“I said from the beginning, ‘I’m not away from this. I was part of that team, I was one of those guys,’” he said. “Suspensions, fines — I’m willing to take as much punishment as they do. If they ask me to (return the ring), it’s not the end of the world.”

Funny how all the 'he should return the ring' crowd conveniently ignores the bolded.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Carson Smith and Danny Farquhar also put their names on it at the same time, but no one talks about them because they're fa's.
Fiers is also a more notable player and on the WS team. It's why people tend to only remember the stars that took steroids and not the lesser players.

Reactions: Voight

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Lucroy says his team knew the Astros were doing this. Then why in the hell do you not do something about it? And no, I'm not talking about running to tell the teacher, I'm talking about drilling these guys repeatedly, and sending your toughest guy to the mound to start a fight with whoever will oblige. Then after that game you come out publicly and say, they know what they're doing, and if they do it again those pitches that drilled Altuve, Correa, Springer, etc. square in the back will be aimed directly at their heads.

might as well just admit that you think he's a snitch
The merits/heroics of him coming out with this is certainly open for reasonable discussion, but by pure definition he is most certainly a snitch.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Lucroy says his team knew the Astros were doing this. Then why in the hell do you not do something about it? And no, I'm not talking about running to tell the teacher, I'm talking about drilling these guys repeatedly, and sending your toughest guy to the mound to start a fight with whoever will oblige. Then after that game you come out publicly and say, they know what they're doing, and if they do it again those pitches that drilled Altuve, Correa, Springer, etc. square in the back will be aimed directly at their heads.

The merits/heroics of him coming out with this is certainly open for reasonable discussion, but by pure definition he is most certainly a snitch.
yeah, a team in the middle of a division/WC race is going to just hit batter after batter and lose games and have their ptichers ejected. might want to think before you post. this might be the dumbest take i've seen on here regarding this and that really says a lot

yeah how dare he come out and expose the biggest cheating operation in baseball history. what a snitch! should've just kept his mouth shut so the asstros could keep on cheating

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008

People who say they hate snitches snitch more than anyone, usually (speaking to the connotation of the word, not you specifically).

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
yeah, a team in the middle of a division/WC race is going to just hit batter after batter and lose games and have their ptichers ejected. might want to think before you post. this might be the dumbest take i've seen on here regarding this and that really says a lot
Lucroy was on three different teams during this stretch, none of which played Houston in the playoffs. You don't think ONE of those 20 games was decided before the final pitch? Message sending time. There are 162 games, you can burn one to stop a team from cheating. I think that's a pretty smart sacrifice/investment.

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
Kershaw threw 51 Slider/Curveball's in that game 5 game vs the Stros and didn't get one swing and miss. Not one swing and miss from a guy who had one of the best curveball's in the game. People called Kershaw a choker after that game.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I don't know what to make of Verlander anymore. Everything that he said he despised before joining the Astros sure went out the window once he got there.

Mr. Integrity sure is silent.

I understand it’s his team but it’s so damn ironic considering every time a notable player got caught with PEDs or another team did something wrong he wasted no time in calling them out and criticizing them.

Really he should have been the most apologetic of them all and said something like I should have used my position and voice to stop this...... but he knows his resume is a little bleak without that ring*** on it.

Reactions: Mud the ACAS

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Kershaw threw 51 Slider/Curveball's in that game 5 game vs the Stros and didn't get one swing and miss. Not one swing and miss from a guy who had one of the best curveball's in the game. People called Kershaw a choker after that game.
People have called him a choker for years.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
People have called him a choker for years.

Yeah but wasn't that the first year he wasn't being asked to shoulder so much of the playoff load, where he wasn't continually asked to pitch on like 2 or 3 days' rest?

Given how well he pitched in that playoff outside of that one game, and knowing what we now know, I'm not going to give the Astros the benefit of the doubt. Not swinging and missing on even a few out of 51 breaking balls is too crazy to be legit.

Reactions: Mud the ACAS

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yeah but wasn't that the first year he wasn't being asked to shoulder so much of the playoff load, where he wasn't continually asked to pitch on like 2 or 3 days' rest?

Given how well he pitched in that playoff outside of that one game, and knowing what we now know, I'm not going to give the Astros the benefit of the doubt. Not swinging and missing on even a few out of 51 breaking balls is too crazy to be legit.
Yeah, I agree with the Houston aspect of knowing what he was throwing.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
Mr. Integrity sure is silent.

I understand it’s his team but it’s so damn ironic considering every time a notable player got caught with PEDs or another team did something wrong he wasted no time in calling them out and criticizing them.

Really he should have been the most apologetic of them all and said something like I should have used my position and voice to stop this...... but he knows his resume is a little bleak without that ring*** on it.
Not to mention the whole Osuna thing.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Idk if this has been posted or not but......
125.jpg

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA

Except we know for a fact that nearly a dozen teams filed complaints against the Astros for their conduct and the MLB repeatedly refused to act on the rampant and brazen cheating going on. Fiers had to go public if there was any chance at accountability. Everything that the Astros has done over the past three years is tainted and the integrity of the game is at stake.

Fiers isn’t a snitch nor is he a rat. He had nothing to personally gain from going public. He didn’t owe any loyalty to anybody on the Astros as he was no longer a member of that organization. Can we seriously consider what some people are doing when we go after Fiers? We had a team that stole an AL MVP, a World Series championship, and was one game away from stealing another one. Yet, for people like David Ortiz and too many so-called baseball fans out there, they’re more concerned about the pointing fingers at Mike Fiers.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
It's clearly wrong that any of these guys are getting threats over something game-related. It would never even cross my mind to send a message to anyone like that.

That being said, everyone knows there's a bunch of screwed up folks out there. And you have to know if you do something like the Astros did as a public figure, if it ever comes to light that you and your family will be targets from said nutjobs. Fact is, they knew what the downside was going in, and chose to do it because of the rewards. So while I don't in any way condone what they're going through in that aspect, I'll just say I probably feel as bad about it as the Astros did when, say, Darvish was getting hell from angry fans after his WS performances against them. Not only did the Astros not feel bad, they actually publicly suggested it was his own fault for tipping pitches. So those cheaters can go cry me a river now.

And as for their kids, it sucks that they'll probably spend the rest of their lives hearing how their dads are pathetic cheating scum. But for the players, they either thought about the consequences for their kids and family ... or they didn't. So they either are so self-absorbed that they didn't think about the effects on their loved ones, or they thought about it and didn't care. Neither scenario is going to get any of them any votes for father of the year.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
I don't understand why the Asterisks can't be censured and maybe banned from the playoffs for 1-3 years.

While that would be lovely, it would really be bad for the sport with players playing half-assed because they have no reason to play for.

No home field advantage regardless of the record would be a nice punishment.

Reactions: Voight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad