Astros punishments: Hinch and Luhnow suspended and fired, team loses 1st and 2nd picks in 2020, 2021

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
How ugly is the beanball going to get? I'm not sure we've ever seen a reaction from fans and opposing teams like we are going to see with the Astros.

Reactions: Voight

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Manfred....Goodell...and hockey fans legit think Bettman is the worst commissioner in sports

Sadly he’s become the second best commissioner (and Silver the least awful) by default, with Rob and Roger finding ways to screw up the morning cup of coffee.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Now it's come out that Fiers first spoke up TWO YEARS AGO. And MLB was informed.

This isn't going away no matter how much Houston wishes it would.

it's been pretty well known for a while now that the A's went to MLB in 2018 about the asstros cheating and the league did nothing about it

to all the clowns who say fiers is a snitch and that he "should've said something while on the asstros," you really think a guy will come out and reveal his team cheats and risk losing his job?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
it's been pretty well known for a while now that the A's went to MLB in 2018 about the asstros cheating and the league did nothing about it

to all the clowns who say fiers is a snitch and that he "should've said something while on the asstros," you really think a guy will come out and reveal his team cheats and risk losing his job?

Losing his job? That would've been the easiest lawsuit to win by getting the MLB to settle for millions. There was also plenty of time from when he left Houston to when he actually went public. He sat on the info, so I'm not going to act like he's perfect in all this. He shouldn't get treated like he has, and he's not a snitch, but he could've come out earlier.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Losing his job? That would've been the easiest lawsuit to win by getting the MLB to settle for millions. There was also plenty of time from when he left Houston to when he actually went public. He sat on the info, so I'm not going to act like he's perfect in all this. He shouldn't get treated like he has, and he's not a snitch, but he could've come out earlier.
reveal the asstros cheating operation, get released, and then have to deal with a lawsuit? OR don't risk losing your job by not saying anything

hmmmm...i don't think that's a hard decision to make for anyone

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
reveal the asstros cheating operation, get released, and then have to deal with a lawsuit? OR don't risk losing your job by not saying anything

hmmmm...i don't think that's a hard decision to make for anyone

You are also under the assumption that he would get blackballed by all the other teams, and what's the excuse for not going public after he left Houston?

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
You are also under the assumption that he would get blackballed by all the other teams, and what's the excuse for not going public after he left Houston?
that's another thing. why risk it?

who knows? but does that matter now after all we've come to find out? he did go public. and he could've done it anonymously but nope, he chose to put his name on it too

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Yet one of these two has been shot in a fishy situation.

Ortiz outta clean up his life before worrying about how Fiers handles his.

Yeah...I'm not about to bring that into the story

A more valid point would be pointing out that Ortiz was caught with his smoothie shake pumped full of drugs. All of which he claimed he was unaware and certainly just a one time thing.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
that's another thing. why risk it?

who knows? but does that matter now after all we've come to find out? he did go public. and he could've done it anonymously but nope, he chose to put his name on it too
What he did was still way more good than bad, my point is just that it wasn't the best possible decision that could've been made. He eventually made the correct decision and should get credit for that. The people like Ortiz and all the others do have a point with how he benefitted from it. There was known speculation from other teams when it was happening, but without proof, it was just all speculation. If Fiers or someone else blew the whistle earlier, who knows how the situation would've played out. It seems clear to me that MLB knew something like this was going on and they decided to try and cover it up and not make it public. The public knowing is what forced their hand.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
What he did was still way more good than bad, my point is just that it wasn't the best possible decision that could've been made. He eventually made the correct decision and should get credit for that. The people like Ortiz and all the others do have a point with how he benefitted from it. There was known speculation from other teams when it was happening, but without proof, it was just all speculation. If Fiers or someone else blew the whistle earlier, who knows how the situation would've played out. It seems clear to me that MLB knew something like this was going on and they decided to try and cover it up and not make it public. The public knowing is what forced their hand.
fiers benefited from it? lolwut

how has be benefited from it? he's been getting a bunch of death threats from angry asstros fans. i wouldn't call that benefiting

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
fiers benefited from it? lolwut

how has be benefited from it? he's been getting a bunch of death threats from angry asstros fans. i wouldn't call that benefiting
Oh gee, I don't know, maybe that diamond encrusted ring or that bonus check he received.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
What he did was still way more good than bad, my point is just that it wasn't the best possible decision that could've been made.

Fair enough, but it's a decision that is still light years ahead of any other Astro on the ethics scale, all of whom either said nothing about it, or in some cases openly denied it or even played victim.

Sure, it would have been nice if ANY of them had blown the whistle while on the team, that would have been amazingly brave to do in the heat of a playoff race. But I'm not going to take any shots at the ONE guy who actually blew the whistle when the rest of them were perfectly happy to reap all the rewards in silence; he had to know it would taint his own ring. He could have kept his mouth shut just like the rest of them.

He wasn't the only 2017 Astro to end up on another team, did any of the others speak u up after they left? Do you think for one second guys like Correa, Altuve, Bregman, or Springer would have EVER admitted anything, even years from now on another team or after they retired, if they hadn't been caught?

So sure, some can call Fiers a snitch, and they wouldn't be entirely wrong. But the rest of them (even the ones who knew but didn't directly participate) are something far far worse.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Fair enough, but it's a decision that is still light years ahead of any other Astro on the ethics scale, all of whom either said nothing about it, or in some cases openly denied it or even played victim.

Sure, it would have been nice if ANY of them had blown the whistle while on the team, that would have been amazingly brave to do in the heat of a playoff race. But I'm not going to take any shots at the ONE guy who actually blew the whistle when the rest of them were perfectly happy to reap all the rewards in silence; he had to know it would taint his own ring. He could have kept his mouth shut just like the rest of them.

He wasn't the only 2017 Astro to end up on another team, did any of the others speak u up after they left? Do you think for one second guys like Correa, Altuve, Bregman, or Springer would have EVER admitted anything, even years from now on another team or after they retired, if they hadn't been caught?

So sure, some can call Fiers a snitch, and they wouldn't be entirely wrong. But the rest of them (even the ones who knew but didn't directly participate) are something far far worse.
Yeah, Fiers is one of the few that come away from this situation with any level of positive moral standing. Don't disagree with any of that. Getting to the right decision in the end is important because not many get there and actually do it.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Now it's come out that Fiers first spoke up TWO YEARS AGO. And MLB was informed.

This isn't going away no matter how much Houston wishes it would.

I believe he told the league in the summer of 2018 and because the Astros were the cream of the crop and defending champs they swept it right under the rug.

Then Fiers got pissed they let a huge cheating operation slide so he did the right thing and told a major media outlet. Plus he put his name on that when he didn’t have to; the article would have been published either way.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
It's a prime example of why whistleblowers have to go public. All those internal reporting systems are always BS. It's just alerting whatever organization it is to cover this specific thing up to make sure it doesn't go public.
Yep. I'm certain Manfred knew about it and told them to stop it. Unfortunately for him they didn't.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Oh gee, I don't know, maybe that diamond encrusted ring or that bonus check he received.
you think a ring and money compare to a guy and his family getting death threats? sure he won a title with them but that doesn't mean **** now. that ring is tainted anyways

like i said, he didn't have to put his name on this but he chose to do so. he didn't benefit from this is any sort of way. funny how people like you will go so far to make him out to be the bad guy. i guess you all would just rather the asstros were still cheating and getting away with it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad