Assume Karlsson walks after this year, do you still trade for him?

Trade for Karlsson

• Yes (at roughly what San Jose paid)

• Yes (and more than what San Jose paid)

• No (not worth it for only one year)

Results are only viewable after voting.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
Yes, yes, yes. You don't pass on a player like Karlsson.

I'm a Sharks fan and I assume that Karlsson will probably walk at the end of the season. I'd still do it without having to think about it. If nothing else, the Sharks now have a much better chance of signing Karlsson long term than they did before the trade. I'd pay what we did just for that chance plus the chance to try him out and see how much the team improves with him on it. If we do re-sign him (and IMO the chance of that is at least fair), it's a steal.

I might feel differently if a player like Tavares were still a realistic possibility (bc we need a 1C more than a generational d-man) and getting Karlsson made that very difficult. But I don't see how we could use the cap space better and we didn't give up any irreplaceable players. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Doubt he signs long term with a team with an aging core and not much in the pipeline
Just like how SJ was done and going to be a bottom feeder 5-6 years ago and every summer after that?
Just like there was no way SJ would get Karlsson?
If he didn't want to go to SJ, he would've had them on his 10 team NTC.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
yes and idk why people would want their team to pay more than what san jose paid to get him

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Thats the reason I think EKs camp has basically put it out there that he is testing FA no matter what on July 1st. Only reason the Senators got such a weak package.
He said he wanted to feel out an area before he signed long term there, so no trade with extension in place.
DW also said in an interview he got to talk with EK and his agent quite a bit.

"I don't comment on contract negotiations, but I will say that we've had extensive conversations with his agents, and we feel extremely comfortable making this deal today with where we're sitting," Wilson said. "Now that he's our property, we can spend a lot of time with him and continue those discussions."

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
For the position San Jose is in, and what they paid, yes, 10/10 times I make that trade.

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
The only people who wouldn't have a blatant misunderstanding of how likely it is for non-top 5 draft-picks and non-elite-prospects to become impact NHLers.

It's unlikely any of the prospects/draft picks play over 200 GP in the NHL, and it's almost certain that they won't be 1st line/pairing players if they do.

Sens essentially got nothing in the trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad